Epson Perfection V200 Photo
- Impressive speed, excellent image quality
- Basic PDF capabilities only
The V200's great price, performance, and image quality should put it on the short list of anyone who is searching for a proficient general-purpose scanner.
Price$ 249.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 5 stores)
- 200 4 Ink Value Pack (C13T200692) Expression ... 44.10
- T0540 Photo Black Ink 12.53
- 200 Ink Cartridge Value Pack Standard Capacity ... 47.80
Epson's low-cost V200 scans photos and film into winning images on the quick.
If you want the biggest bang for your buck from a scanner, you would be hard-pressed to do better than the new $249 Epson Perfection V200 Photo. While it offers many of the same features that other low-cost scanners provide -- including the ability to scan both photo prints and 35mm film at a high resolution of 4800dpi -- what distinguishes the V200 from competing models is its impressive speed.
A production model of the V200 was about twice as fast as the identically priced HP G3010 and Microtek ScanMaker s450 in several tests at various resolutions. For example, the V200 took just 35 seconds to scan a 2x2in colour print at 1200dpi, whereas the HP and Microtek scanners took about a full minute. The V200 also did an excellent job of reproducing colour shades (including skin tones) and both shadow and highlight details in our test photos.
Besides being able to zip through prints and film, the V200 provides easy-to-use image enhancement tools, including ones for automatic colour restoration, backlight correction, and dust removal -- all of which did stellar work rejuvenating old images, even ones with washed-out colour. The V200 also adeptly batch-scans 35mm film, handling up to four slides or six frames in a filmstrip at once. Four push buttons (for scan, copy, e-mail and PDF) and an adjustable lid that opens a full 180 degrees to accommodate large books or 3D objects are other useful features. The bundled software includes a basic image editor (ArcSoft PhotoImpression 6) and an optical character recognition application (Abbyy FineReader 6 Sprint) capable of creating editable text and searchable PDFs.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Kogan Agora 4G Pro review: the final word on Kogan's best smartphone
- 2 Sony Xperia Z4 Tablet (LTE) review: The tablet of choice for anyone on Android
- 3 Bose SoundLink Mini II Bluetooth speaker review
- 4 Apple MacBook Air 2015 review: Only better with time
- 5 Lenovo ThinkPad T550 laptop
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- HP’s $69 Deskjet printer makes more efficient use of ink tanks
- HP LaserJets use a new type of toner particle that can improve energy efficiency and print speed
- Epson Australia launches its Future of Business Printing system
- da Vinci 1.0 AiO: the world’s first personal 3D scanner and printer is coming to Australia
- Hands on with MakerBot's 3D printed wood
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSenior Network EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager & Account ManagerVIC
- FTDevOps Consultant - Microsoft Experience - Digital ConsultancyVIC
- CCAccount Strategist | Sales Executive | Global Search EngineNSW
- FTTechnical Sales Support Representative - The Worlds largest Search Engine!NSW
- CCLead Generator - Software SolutionsNSW
- FTDesktop Engineering ManagerNSW
- CCMarketing Coordinator - World's largest search engine!NSW
- FTField EngineerNSW