Epson Stylus CX3500
- Individual ink cartridges, quiet, great print quality
- No card reader or PictBridge support, long scan time
A great all-rounder for those on a budget.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
The CX3500 distinguishes itself by having four individual ink cartridges rather than one black and one tri-colour. Its ink uses Epson's DuraBrite technology, which improves protection against strong light. It does not have a built-in card reader, nor does it support PictBridge.
We were pleasantly surprised by low noise emission from this unit during printing. It also has a very smooth roller and paper-eject mechanisms, which are barely audible as the paper moves past the print heads and then finally rests on the output tray.
The CX3500 is a very flexible document printer and allows for up to four quality modes to be selected: economy, draft, normal and fine. These modes can be selected from the Advanced section of the print driver. In fine quality, the text is razor sharp and not overly dark, while normal mode prints out slightly lighter text at a lower resolution. Economy mode produces very light grey text suitable for proofreading, while draft mode produces slightly darker text that is very blocky.
Its photo quality output was excellent during our tests, with no noticeable banding and realistic colour tones. It managed to print an A4 colour photo in 13 minutes 47 seconds.
The print driver supports reverse printing and manual two-sided printing. The printer can also produce borderless prints at up to A4 size.
We are used to getting great quality scans from Epson equipment and the CX3500 proved that it can also capture accurate colour and greyscale input. It took much longer than many its peers to scan in a full-colour A4 photo (1 minute 44 seconds), especially with the descreen setting enabled. Unfortunately, this model does not ship with any OCR software.
Its photocopy quality wasn't as good as we'd hoped it would be, with text copies in particular suffering from blurred text that was tiring to read. Colour photocopies were quite good, though, with plenty of detail, but the colour matching compared to our original document was slightly off.
We like the fact that this model has separate ink cartridges as it allows the user to manage ink in a more flexible manner. Its control panel is conveniently situated on the left-hand side of the unit, which means books can be scanned in without activating any unwanted functions, and the square design and removable scan lid also help greatly when scanning from large books.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- HP offers US$1 billion for Samsung's printer business
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- CCFullstack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- TPSolution Architect - Transport DomainVIC
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- FTSecurity Engineer - Permanent - IT Services - SydneyNSW
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Infra)NSW
- TPSenior Service Desk AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- TPiOS Developer (Mobile)NSW
- CCFinancial Business AnalystACT
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- FTSnr SOC Security Coordinator - Perm - North Ryde areaNSW
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW