Eset NOD32 Antivirus 4
NOD32 includes some nice extras, such as a new ability to scan HTTPS traffic for threats before they reach your hard drive
- Nice system inspector tool
- Lacklustre malware detection
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 didn't fall down on the job, but it also failed to excel in any of our tests. If you're going to shell out for antivirus software, you can do better with your money.
Price$ 34.95 (AUD)
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 has some nice, techie-focused extras and it effectively ferrets out rootkits, but it can't keep up with other antivirus apps when it comes to the essential task of blocking malware.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 lagged behind every other program we've tested recently when it came to detecting known malware with signatures. Against AVTest.org's huge store of known Trojans, spyware, and other malware, its block rate of 94.8 percent was decent, but strong performance from the majority of the apps we tested has raised the bar.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 performed better in heuristic tests designed to measure how well security programs can detect newer malware threats. With two-week old databases, ESET's program detected 63.6 percent of newer malware, earning a middle-of-the-road sixth place. But when it came to behavioral detection tests, which measure how well a security app can identify bad stuff based solely on how it acts on a PC, NOD32 put up some warnings but ultimately didn't block any of the brand-new test samples.
The malware hunter was able to identify and block all ten rootkits, which are a type of malware used to hide other threats on a PC. But three other apps - Norton AntiVirus, McAfee Antivirus Plus and Kaspersky Anti-Virus - were able to match that performance. For other types of malware infections, NOD32 failed to disable one out of 10 test infections. Again, not terrible, but most of the apps neutered all the test infections.
NOD32 does include some nice extras, such as a new ability to scan HTTPS traffic for threats before they reach your hard drive, and a SysInspector tool that evaluates running programs, Registry entries, files, and other elements of your system for potential risk.
SysInspector is meant for techies, but it can provide a wealth of information about what's going on in the depths of your PC (ESET also offers the tool as a free download).
The program's user interface is generally smooth, but it has some definite annoyances. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 splits settings and tasks between a standard mode and advanced mode, and hides some important elements like the quarantine function and scan scheduler behind the advanced mode.
Also, if the program finds any threats during a scan you schedule or run yourself, it won't tell you up front what it found. To see anything more than the number of discovered items, like the file's name and location, you'll need to dig into the quarantine or scan log.
Finally, unlike most stand-alone security programs, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 says its application will conflict with firewall software available from Webroot and ZoneAlarm, unless you turn off HTTP filtering.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Hackers use old Stuxnet-related bug to carry out attacks
- A vigilante hacker may have built a computer worm to protect the IoT
- Suspected CIA spying tools linked to hacks in 16 countries
- The iCloud hackers' bitcoin ransom looks like a fake
- WikiLeaks: CIA used bits of Carberp Trojan code for malware deployment
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTHR Business Analyst / Performance Management SMENSW
- FTLevel 2 HelpdeskVIC
- FTWindows Dev Ops EngineerNSW
- CCVMware AdministratorNSW
- TPProject ServicesACT
- FTFrontend DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Full-Stack DeveloperSA
- FT.NET DeveloperWA
- FTSystems Development Assistant Team LeadNSW
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Desktop Engineer - SCCM / AD / 2012 ServerNSW
- FTChange Management LeadNSW
- FTTechnical WriterACT
- FTField Engineer - Hardware RolloutsNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Business Development Manager| SMSF/Accounting SoftwareNSW
- CCIT SAS Visual Analytics DeveloperVIC
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTNetwork Solution Architect - PresalesNSW
- FTOSS Developer - BPM (Business Process Manager) SMEVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsWA
- FTCRM Technical Specialist (Oracle Eloqua)VIC