Eset NOD32 Antivirus 4
NOD32 includes some nice extras, such as a new ability to scan HTTPS traffic for threats before they reach your hard drive
- Nice system inspector tool
- Lacklustre malware detection
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 didn't fall down on the job, but it also failed to excel in any of our tests. If you're going to shell out for antivirus software, you can do better with your money.
Price$ 34.95 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 has some nice, techie-focused extras and it effectively ferrets out rootkits, but it can't keep up with other antivirus apps when it comes to the essential task of blocking malware.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 lagged behind every other program we've tested recently when it came to detecting known malware with signatures. Against AVTest.org's huge store of known Trojans, spyware, and other malware, its block rate of 94.8 percent was decent, but strong performance from the majority of the apps we tested has raised the bar.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 performed better in heuristic tests designed to measure how well security programs can detect newer malware threats. With two-week old databases, ESET's program detected 63.6 percent of newer malware, earning a middle-of-the-road sixth place. But when it came to behavioral detection tests, which measure how well a security app can identify bad stuff based solely on how it acts on a PC, NOD32 put up some warnings but ultimately didn't block any of the brand-new test samples.
The malware hunter was able to identify and block all ten rootkits, which are a type of malware used to hide other threats on a PC. But three other apps - Norton AntiVirus, McAfee Antivirus Plus and Kaspersky Anti-Virus - were able to match that performance. For other types of malware infections, NOD32 failed to disable one out of 10 test infections. Again, not terrible, but most of the apps neutered all the test infections.
NOD32 does include some nice extras, such as a new ability to scan HTTPS traffic for threats before they reach your hard drive, and a SysInspector tool that evaluates running programs, Registry entries, files, and other elements of your system for potential risk.
SysInspector is meant for techies, but it can provide a wealth of information about what's going on in the depths of your PC (ESET also offers the tool as a free download).
The program's user interface is generally smooth, but it has some definite annoyances. ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 splits settings and tasks between a standard mode and advanced mode, and hides some important elements like the quarantine function and scan scheduler behind the advanced mode.
Also, if the program finds any threats during a scan you schedule or run yourself, it won't tell you up front what it found. To see anything more than the number of discovered items, like the file's name and location, you'll need to dig into the quarantine or scan log.
Finally, unlike most stand-alone security programs, ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 says its application will conflict with firewall software available from Webroot and ZoneAlarm, unless you turn off HTTP filtering.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- No more passwords with Google's Trust API
- There’s finally reason to hope in the war against ransomware
- A hacker is selling 167 million LinkedIn user records
- Cybercriminals are increasingly embracing a sophisticated business-model approach
- Microsoft expands preview of Windows 10's new advanced threat service
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTAgile CoachNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Prince2 & PMBoK shop | Huge project pipelineACT
- CCFull Stack Developer - AngularNSW
- CCApplication Packaging ExpertVIC
- CCTechnical Specialist - IP Network Design - Juniper MXNSW
- CCIT Technical WriterACT
- FTNV1, NV2 Network Engineers | Permanent role with diverse Defence projectsACT
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (MS SQL Server/C#.NET)160520/AP/vmtAsia
- FTSenior Team Leader Applications SupportACT
- CCNetwork Engineer | DC Relocation |VoIP Refresh | CCNA | CCNPNSW
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- CCBI/Information/Data/Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Change AnalystNSW
- FT.NET Developer (Angular JS/ SQL)WA
- FTSenior Developer - .Net, MVC, C#NSW
- CCRelease Manager, SAPNSW
- CCData Feeds Developer | Financial Services | C# & SQLNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst (Sharepoint, CRM, MS Dynamics)ACT
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET C#/MS ASP .NET) 160526/AP/263Asia
- CCLinux AdministratorVIC