App review: ESPN FC for iOS
Soccer fans will get a kick out of this app, but it might leave some users off-side
- Tracks all major leagues in one app
- Quick access to scores and fixtures
- Times are wrong
- Layout could be better
For football fans of major leagues, ESPN FC is a good one-stop app for quick access to recent scores and upcoming fixtures. Although when it comes to detailed information regarding the sport, the best bet is to find apps dedicated to a particular league or team you are interested in.
Although there is a legion of football apps on the market, ESPN FC, formerly ESPNsoccernet, is one of the better ones. It provides coverage of all the major leagues and tournaments alongside an array of news-related features that provide a scope of the sport on a global scale. It is not perfect, though, and requires fixes and additions to become the one-stop app for the world game.
The first thing to do after downloading ESPN FC, like with most sports apps, is select your favourite teams, leagues, and tournaments through the settings menu (top right of screen). While within the settings, you can also choose to login with Facebook, as well as select your language and toggle tool-tips. That’s all the setup that's required.
The ESPN FC home screen is the news page. At the top is a side-scrolling bar which lists all the leagues and tournaments you previously selected. Tap into these and it lists the most recent result for your preferred teams. If a team isn’t selected, it displays the league results. There is a star at the beginning of this menu which provides a list of the most recent game played of your favourite teams (including nations). The separate scores page is similar to this, but provides a full timeline of past and future fixtures for your teams. Tapping on a game does not take you to a dedicated page though, making it feel cramped.
Below this is the latest news from the football world, followed by ‘My News’ when you scroll down. Tapping into either of these brings up dedicated news pages. Other features include a video tab with selected clips from around the world, and tables/standings for all your chosen leagues/tournaments.
ESPN FC has one major flaw that has the potential to confuse and anger football fans: a lot of the kick-off times displayed within the app are inaccurate, despite the fact that it uses location tracking. For example, all A-League games are listed as commencing one hour after the actual time. It’s important to keep this in mind and confirm the kick-off elsewhere just to be sure.
Another annoying element is that ESPN added advertising to its app when it renamed it to ESPN FC. The ads sit just above the menu, which is at the bottom of the screen. As the app is not optimised for the iPhone 5 yet, this can be particularly frustrating as less content appears on screen.
Requirements: iOS 4.2 or higher
Reviewed on: iPhone 5
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
- WhatsApp finally launches video calling
- Google Play is cracking down on fake reviews and fraudulent install numbers
- New call-blocking apps in iOS 10 can stop spams and scams before they reach you
- Pokémon Go guide app with half a million downloads hacks Android devices
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTOnline Solutions AnalystNSW
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- CCDigital Communications ManagerNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCWindows AdministratorACT
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TPProject OfficerQLD
- FTData Conversion LeadNSW
- TPTechnical ConsultantNSW
- FTMicrosoft ConsultantVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantVIC
- FTApplication Support Analyst/DeveloperNSW
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCService Desk Quality Assurance AnalystNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)NSW
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- FTSenior Project Manager - PERMANENTACT
- CCUser ResearcherNSW