Fabrik Ultimate Backup
- Easy to set up, offers unlimited restores
- Not integrated into local backup client
If you're not backing up off-site to guard against data disaster, you should be, and Fabrik is as good a way to do it as any, especially when it has 2GB for free.
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Ultimate Backup is a super handy way to keep your files remotely backed up.
Shopping Fabrik's line of external hard drives, you might get the idea that Fabrik Ultimate Backup is an adjunct of those products, but it's actually a separate, exceedingly useful online backup service.
The pricing for Ultimate Backup is very similar to another such service -- Mozy.com -- which is not surprising, as they both use venerable Berkeley Data Systems' storage facilities. Like Mozy, Fabrik offers 2GB of online storage for free, or unlimited storage for just $US5 a month.
The Fabrik Ultimate Backup client sits in your system tray automatically backing up the files and folders you select, but it also gives you a number of thoughtful options. You can limit its usage of your broadband connection, set the program so that backups transpire only while your computer is at idle, and specify how much CPU time the client uses during backups. You can also schedule it to back up only during specified hours or at specified times.
Data may be retrieved by double-clicking the "Fabrik Ultimate Backup" icon that the program adds to "Other devices" in Windows Explorer, or by logging on to your account with your browser and using an online restore function. Fabrik also offers the same 128-bit SSL and 448-bit Blowfish encryption Mozy employs, and you can use Fabrik's self-generated key or one of your own (but don't lose it, or you can't restore).
My only quibble with Fabrik Ultimate Backup is a minor one -- it should be integrated into the company's Total Backup and Record local backup utility, which is bundled with its hard drives.
If you're not backing up off-site to guard against data disaster, you should be, and Fabrik is as good a way to do it as any. Did I mention that you get 2GB for free?
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Update to Google Docs, Sheets, Slides lets them automatically save recent files offline
- The speed you need: Pyne and Albanese clash on NBN
- ‘Absolutely not’: No regrets ditching NBN FTTP rollout, says Pyne
- Microsoft dials back Windows 10 upgrades to 2X a year
- NBN leaks: Journalist union slams AFP raids
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- FTData EngineersNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- CCSenior IT Security Specialist-SANS, ISC2, ISACA, ITILNSW
- FTBI / Business Intelligence Designer / ArchitectNSW
- FTTechnical Services SpecialistACT
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- CCSnr Technology Analyst Disaster RecoveryVIC
- CCSkilled Sitecore / .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer | DC Relocation |VoIP Refresh | CCNA | CCNPNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCOracle Payroll Functional ConsultantNSW
- CCLMS Administrator and e- Learning Development Project OfficerSA
- CCNetwork Architect VoiceNSW
- CCSecurity Clearances Vetting Services OfficerACT
- CCContract Programmer (HTML/JAVA/SQL) 160525/P/013Asia
- FTQuality ManagerACT
- FTBusiness AnalystVIC
- CCContract Computer Operator (UNIX/Windows-based) 1610524/CCO/vmtAsia
- CCSenior Service Desk ManagerNSW
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA