Firebox Flip Digital Video Camera
A tiny and fun video camera
- Decent image quality for the price, small
- Build quality
The Flip Digital Video Camera is a great gimmick that will be ideal if all you need is a pocket-sized device for capturing short, fun clips.
Price$ 196.20 (AUD)
There's no doubt that the look of the Flip Digital Video Camera reflects its cheap-as-chips price tag of $196.
The Flip Digital Video Camera measures a tiny 104x54x29mm, which really is small enough to fit in your pocket. At 97g we thought it felt too flimsy and plasticky for a device that would be capable of producing good quality clips.
There's no complicated setup needed: it's simply a case of sliding the front cover off and inserting the two AA batteries needed to power the Flip Digital Video Camera, then you can start shooting. The camera's very few buttons are large and responsive despite the pint-sized camcorders dimensions, so we found the Flip simple and easy to use.
The Flip Digital Video Camera's 2GB internal memory is capable of capturing up to one hour of footage at a resolution of 640x480 in MPEG 4 format, while the 2x optical zoom is clear and concise.
You can view your video clips on the Flip Digital Video Camera's 1.5in display. Alternatively, you can use the Flip's integral USB connector that 'flips' out at the touch of a button. While the USB connector is a great idea and removes the need for cables, the mechanism seemed flimsy and we suspect that it may break quite quickly.
We simply plugged the Flip Digital Video Camera into a USB port and we were then able to view and save the clips, email them to friends and family, upload them to a Web page and even edit them into a movie complete with soundtrack using the software, which is pre-loaded onto the device.
Colours in the video clips we captured were bright and clear and we found the Flip also lived up to its claims that it excels in low-light conditions. We love the fact that it automatically turns itself off if left unused for more than a minute, conserving precious minutes of the Flip Digital Video Camera's 2.5hr battery life.
The Flip is available in several different colour schemes, and comes bundled with a TV connector cable, wrist strap, carry case and two AA batteries.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- D-Link camera can be hijacked to become a spy-cam
- Nvidia's pricey Shield Android TV adds some value with 4K YouTube and Netflix HDR in US
- Netflix's Fast.com download tester takes its war against slow ISPs directly to the user
- Nearly 100 classic NFL games headed to YouTube
- Netflix isn’t big on virtual reality for the obvious reasons
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCProject Manager/ Sr PMO Analyst - Consulting BackgroundNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- FTIT Helpdesk (Microsoft)NSW
- CCDirector - Technical Upgrade Program- Data migration, InfraNSW
- CCReport Business Analyst- BI, Oracle, SAP, TableauNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- CCIP & Fixed Process Improvement SpecialistVIC
- CCDigital Project Manager, AgileNSW
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- FTAndroid Technical Lead (Work From Home 2-3 Days)NSW
- CCIT Security ArchitectVIC
- FTService Desk AnalystNSW
- CCData Analyst / Data ModelerNSW
- CCMessaging EngineerNSW
- FTSOE Desktop Engineer - must have SCCM 2012NSW
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Intelligence - Policy and Governance ManagerNSW
- CCLead Business AnalystNSW
- CCIP Test Analyst - Baseline Security ClearanceVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle) 160728/AP/623Asia
- FT1st Level IT Support - Microsoft EnvironmentNSW
- FTSQL DATA AnalyticsNSW
- CCSenior Tester - Automation / Telecommunications (Urgent)NSW