First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
Firebox Flip Digital Video Camera
A tiny and fun video camera
- Decent image quality for the price, small
- Build quality
The Flip Digital Video Camera is a great gimmick that will be ideal if all you need is a pocket-sized device for capturing short, fun clips.
Price$ 196.20 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 78 stores)
There's no doubt that the look of the Flip Digital Video Camera reflects its cheap-as-chips price tag of $196.
The Flip Digital Video Camera measures a tiny 104x54x29mm, which really is small enough to fit in your pocket. At 97g we thought it felt too flimsy and plasticky for a device that would be capable of producing good quality clips. There's no complicated setup needed: it's simply a case of sliding the front cover off and inserting the two AA batteries needed to power the Flip Digital Video Camera, then you can start shooting. The camera's very few buttons are large and responsive despite the pint-sized camcorders dimensions, so we found the Flip simple and easy to use.
The Flip Digital Video Camera's 2GB internal memory is capable of capturing up to one hour of footage at a resolution of 640x480 in MPEG 4 format, while the 2x optical zoom is clear and concise.
You can view your video clips on the Flip Digital Video Camera's 1.5in display. Alternatively, you can use the Flip's integral USB connector that 'flips' out at the touch of a button. While the USB connector is a great idea and removes the need for cables, the mechanism seemed flimsy and we suspect that it may break quite quickly.
We simply plugged the Flip Digital Video Camera into a USB port and we were then able to view and save the clips, email them to friends and family, upload them to a Web page and even edit them into a movie complete with soundtrack using the software, which is pre-loaded onto the device.
Colours in the video clips we captured were bright and clear and we found the Flip also lived up to its claims that it excels in low-light conditions. We love the fact that it automatically turns itself off if left unused for more than a minute, conserving precious minutes of the Flip Digital Video Camera's 2.5hr battery life.
The Flip is available in several different colour schemes, and comes bundled with a TV connector cable, wrist strap, carry case and two AA batteries.
Latest News Articles
- Members of UK Parliament call for judicial review of data retention law
- Nvidia's Shield gaming tablet to highlight 192-core K1 chip
- ARM's chip licensing revenue and profit keep on rising
- China's Xiaomi to sell $13 smart wristband, trumpets global ambitions
- Virtru launches business email encryption service for Google Apps
Most Popular Articles
- 1 What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- 2 Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- 3 Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Windows 7 Professional
- 4 How to play DVD movies on your Nintendo Wii
- 5 How do I connect my TV to the Internet?