hi, so if i got a hdmi connecter for my i-phone 5, is it still not possible to watch go content on a l.e.d tv?
App review: Foxtel Go for iPad
The Foxtel Go app is free to use, providing excellent quality video streaming and access to live TV
- Excellent video quality
- Intuitive & attractive interface
- 28 live TV channels
- Uses lots of data
- Could use more content
- No way to stream to TV
The Foxtel Go app allows Foxtel subscribers to watch various live TV channels and selected catch up programs on an iPad. The app is free to use and provides excellent quality video streaming, though the range of programs and channels on offer can be limiting depending on your tastes.
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- Replacement Foxtel Remote 39.98
Foxtel Go is a new app that allows current Foxtel subscribers to watch various live TV channels and selected catch up programs on an iPad. The app is free to use and provides excellent quality video streaming, though the range of programs and channels on offer can be limiting depending on your tastes.
The layout and design of the Foxtel Go app is perhaps its best feature. The interface is both attractive and intuitive with stylish, descriptive text and a Windows 8 like "tile" interface that's heavy on images. There's a home menu with an overview of current available programs, a dedicated live TV section, and a catch up TV section that sorts programs by featured, genre, channels, latest, most popular and more. You can also search for any programs using the search box in the top right corner of the app.
To use the Foxtel Go app, users need to sign in with their Foxtel online username and password. A single Foxtel account can be used to log into two seperate iPads simultaneously, though you need a regular cable or satellite Foxtel home subscription to use the Go app and you can only remove one iPad from a Foxtel Go account per month. Unfortunately, customers with Foxtel on Xbox, Optus TV featuring Foxtel, Foxtel on T-Box and Foxtel on Internet TV can't use the service.
The Foxtel Go app is free but any data used is metered for all networks, including Telstra. Data usage is something to keep in mind — on Wi-Fi the app uses a maximum of 877MB of data per hour, while on 3G or 4G it uses up to 290MB per hour. The hefty data usage is put to good use though as the quality of video is excellent on both Wi-Fi and 3G/4G connections. Generally, both live and catch-up TV streams take about 10-15 seconds to buffer to the best quality.
Content is obviously limited to the packages you're subscribed to, so non-sport subscribers can't view any live or catch up sports channels, for example. There are 28 live TV channels to choose from in total as well as four Fox Sports Plus channels that stream live English Premier League football. There's no cricket or AFL, though, and it remains to be seen whether the app will stream live NRL matches in 2013.
Foxtel says it will add more channels to the Go service in the future. Some channels not yet available on the app include ESPN, Fox 8, The Comedy Channel and Discovery. Naturally, you can view an in-app EPG for all Foxtel Go channels. The content available is quite varied but the missing channels list is quite hefty so there's plenty of room for improvement.
There's unfortunately no way to stream the Foxtel Go app to an Apple TV system, and you can't watch Go content on your TV even if you connect the iPad using a HDMI cable. Users can remote record shows from Foxtel Go onto an IQ box, but it's not possible to record shows onto the iPad itself. There's also no way for the Go app to access saved recordings on an iQ box, which would be a killer feature.
Developer: Foxtel Management Pty Ltd
Requirements: iPad with iOS 5.0 or later
Reviewed on: Apple iPad mini
I got a HDMI connector and connected from iPhone 4s and it won't streem on TV. The sound came through ok , but all it showed was "FOXTEL" on the screen. Bigger!!!
I meant Bugger!!!!
Disappointed with Foxtel Go Catch Up as it crashes after opening a programme. Foxtel is suggesting that the DNS be changed on the wifi network but this does fix the problem. Anyone found a solution?
How do I connect my iPad to our Foxtel - have filled out form and then nothing?.....
If you jailbreak your iphone and then download unrestrict App from cydia you can stream via HDMI to your TV!!
If you install the PC 'Foxtel Go' app on your Windows PC then you can stream the 'Foxtel Go' content to a HDTV (just plug the tv into the hdmi socket on the pc) - but they won't let you stream to the same HDTV if you use Foxtel's IOS app on your Apple device.
Good-one Foxtel. You used your brains a lot coming up with that 'solution'.
Can I watch what I have recorded on foxtel using my ipad
The article says “The Foxtel Go app is free but any data used is metered for all networks, including Telstra”.
That is not true.
If you are on the Telstra broadband connection, all of the data used by using the Foxtel GO app, is unmetered, as stated by Foxtel technical support page.
- Being able to watch Foxtel on the Ipad or Ipad Mini.
- Unable to watch Foxtel Go whilst connected to the TV via a HDMI Cable
- • • •
The fact that one has to pay a fee to watch Foxtel on your TV and not able to watch Foxtel via your Ipad connected to a TV (which may not necessarily be your own TV at home) is a real let down. What it means is you cannot watch Foxtel on the big screen when you are away from home other than on the small screen of the Ipad.
- Watching Foxtel on my iPad in bed or the bath, doesn't use up any internet with Telstra plans!
- Stupid adds at the start of every show, very poor functionality & choice of show.
- • • •
It's a great idea but lacks the substance of proper functionality- worse is that they have been provided this feedback and do nothing to fix it. What's missing:
1. Decent choice of shows and search function
2. Live TV option just plays that show and not the next one on the same station, really stupid! Plus it doesn't even tell u what the next show is and often gets the times wrong e.g. Says law and order finishes at 10:30 but really it's 10 and you've already missed most of the show.
3. No sleep function.
4. Only plays in landscape- big oversight
5. Freezes often and fast forward is useless, you have to press it 10 times to literally do 1/3 of one add.
On the upside for Telstra Broadband customers, it supposedly doesn't use your internet up so that's a big bonus but it's still a product in a very prelim/not finished phase to me and the only reason I use it is the foxtel guy was too lazy to install the real foxtel in my bedroom!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Microsoft Surface Pro 3 Windows 8.1 tablet
- 2 Medion Akoya E4110 (MD 8239) desktop PC
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S (10.5) 4G review
- 4 Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series convertible laptop
- 5 Kogan Agora 4G review
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- HTC ships Desire 510 with 64-bit processor, but isn't sure users can take advantage of it
- Widespread Time Warner Cable disruption affects Internet service subscribers
- Gartner: After slump, server sales rise again in Europe, Middle East and Africa
- Dropbox offers 1TB Pro plan for $9.99
- Salesforce renames and revamps Communities service
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTMachine Learning | JAVA | San Fran based global Company | SydneyNSW
- FTInformation Services ManagerNZ
- FTChief Information OfficerNSW
- FTSearch Account ManagerNSW
- FTAccount Manager Programmatic Trading DeskNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Executive - B2BNSW
- CCL2 Technical Support Engineer - RightFax/MessagingVIC