Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB
- Thermostatically controlled fan keeps it quiet, a portion of the drive is encrypted
- No software pre-installed, ease of use
A feature-rich product with a good selection of software and excellent build quality, the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB lacks the designer style or extreme ease of use of some competing products.
Price$ 229.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
A conventional-looking USB drive, Freecom's Hard Drive Pro eschews quirky angular shapes and calming mood lighting in favour of a functional yet smart design in a reassuringly rugged case.
Unlike some other USB hard drives, the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB has no software pre-installed. Instead you must install the applications from the supplied CD.
This means you don't have to burn your own setup CD if you want to format the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB, but it also makes initial installation rather less friendly – it's certainly not automatic.
The Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB's case is fitted with a fan, but it's thermostatically controlled, so most of the time the device is very quiet.
This Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB is available in either USB with eSATA or USB with Firewire800 versions. Unlike Seagate's FreeAgent Pro you can't get all three interfaces in one device.
Furthermore, the version of the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB with Firewire has an additional button which allows access to a protected, encrypted portion of the drive. This helps protect your sensitive data in the event that the drive is lost or stolen.
Freecom's own software suite includes encryption and password protection applications and auto-run setup application and backup software that includes support for the Freecom Hard Drive Pro 500GB's one-touch auto synch button.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCContract Contract Junior Programmer (JUD-16493-4)Asia
- CCLead Administrator - Network and SecurityNSW
- FTMs Dynamics Nav Support Analyst- Level 1/2WA
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- FTSolution Delivery Manager ( RTTM)NSW
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/SQL) 160421/P/903Asia
- CCNetwork DesignerVIC
- CCSr. Business Analyst - ServicePLUSVIC
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- FTAzure ArchitectQLD
- FTSenior Storage Systems EngineerACT
- CCSenior Oracle DBA- Part time 20 hoursWA
- FTDesktop SupportNSW
- FTGentrack ConsultantVIC
- CCSr. Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCMid or Senior Developer - Mobile Applications - (iOS)NSW
- FTSenior Network Engineer | National Systems Integrator & MSP | CBD locationNSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical/Solutions ArchitectNSW
- FTSenior Application SpecialistACT
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCInstructional DesignerQLD