Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b colour laser printer
Fuji Xerox's cheap colour laser printer is great for producing professional-looking documents
- Low initial cost
- Good black text quality
- Slow first page out time
- Colour print quality could be better
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b would make a good printer for a small office or home business that doesn't need multifunction capabilities like copying or scanning. It's not fast to get the first page out but after that it's able to produce good quality text and acceptable colour at a reasonable pace.
Price$ 199.99 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is a cheap colour laser printer that is suited to document printing. While its colour print quality isn't as good as a more expensive colour laser or an inkjet, and its consumables are slightly more costly than a more initially expensive laser printer, the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b makes a useful device for a small office or home business.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Design
Our Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b was finished in a lurid pink colour, showing Fuji Xerox's support for breast cancer research. Every pink Fuji Xerox printer sold before 30 June 2011 donates $5 to the Sydney Breast Cancer Foundation — a small amount, but every cent helps and we applaud Fuji Xerox for its effort.
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b isn't too different from the step-up DocuPrint CP205 — it has the same bottom-loading paper cassette with a 150 sheet capacity. Paper is outputted through the DocuPrint CP105b's top, but you can only fit 100 sheets in the output tray at once. Unlike on the Fuji Xerox M205b the CP105b is light on buttons. It doesn't even have the two-line LCD screen of the DocuPrint CP205 so you're forced to do all printer configuration and maintenance through Fuji Xerox's printer driver.
We set the DocuPrint CP105b up with an Apple Macbook Pro, using Windows as well as Mac OS X. In both operating systems the Fuji Xerox installed drivers quickly and without hassle, and we didn't see anything glaring missing from maintenance or toner management options — important when the printer doesn't have a screen to monitor everything.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Performance and print quality
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is different from Fuji Xerox's more expensive printers in that it doesn't have a great deal of internal memory, so larger print jobs can take a while to start printing. The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b's first page out to be roughly around 30 seconds with our monochrome test document, while printing in colour bumps up the wait time to just under 40 seconds.
The main hindrance to running off a couple of pages with the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is the long wait for the first page out. After the first page is produced subsequent sheets come quickly. Once the printer gets up to speed you can expect a colour page every ten seconds or so, so longer print runs at normal printing quality have an average colour printing speed of just under six pages a minute. Black printing is significantly faster as we managed just over ten pages per minute.
Print quality is good for black toner — we prefer laser over inkjet for black document printing purely because of the solid-looking text with no bleeding — and the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is also acceptable for colour. We thought colour graphics occasionally looked posterised and grainy, but for a professional document they're acceptable. We definitely wouldn't use the DocuPrint CP105b for printing a colour photo, though.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Toner costs
Replacement toner cartridges for the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b — there are four, for black, cyan, magenta and yellow — can be bought from online or retail stores for acceptably low prices, although more expensive printers still have cheaper cartridges overall. The 2000-page black cartridge is $89 and each colour cartridge costs $99, giving the DocuPrint CP105b an ongoing cost of 4.5 cents per black A4 page and 21.2 cents per colour A4 page. These costs are identical to the DocuPrint CP205 which we thought was competitive with other entry-level lasers. We also like the high page yields of the DocuPrint CP105b's toner.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Conclusion
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is a cheap printer that would be well suited to a small business or home office with small to moderate printing needs.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Adidas to 3D print custom insoles in sneakers
- Epson gives cartridges the boot with new printer range (+11 photos)
- MIT builds a 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once
- HP’s $69 Deskjet printer makes more efficient use of ink tanks
- HP LaserJets use a new type of toner particle that can improve energy efficiency and print speed
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- FTDigital ManagerNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- CCWeb / Drupal DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW