Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b colour laser printer
Fuji Xerox's cheap colour laser printer is great for producing professional-looking documents
- Low initial cost
- Good black text quality
- Slow first page out time
- Colour print quality could be better
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b would make a good printer for a small office or home business that doesn't need multifunction capabilities like copying or scanning. It's not fast to get the first page out but after that it's able to produce good quality text and acceptable colour at a reasonable pace.
Price$ 199.99 (AUD)
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is a cheap colour laser printer that is suited to document printing. While its colour print quality isn't as good as a more expensive colour laser or an inkjet, and its consumables are slightly more costly than a more initially expensive laser printer, the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b makes a useful device for a small office or home business.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Design
Our Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b was finished in a lurid pink colour, showing Fuji Xerox's support for breast cancer research. Every pink Fuji Xerox printer sold before 30 June 2011 donates $5 to the Sydney Breast Cancer Foundation — a small amount, but every cent helps and we applaud Fuji Xerox for its effort.
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b isn't too different from the step-up DocuPrint CP205 — it has the same bottom-loading paper cassette with a 150 sheet capacity. Paper is outputted through the DocuPrint CP105b's top, but you can only fit 100 sheets in the output tray at once. Unlike on the Fuji Xerox M205b the CP105b is light on buttons. It doesn't even have the two-line LCD screen of the DocuPrint CP205 so you're forced to do all printer configuration and maintenance through Fuji Xerox's printer driver.
We set the DocuPrint CP105b up with an Apple Macbook Pro, using Windows as well as Mac OS X. In both operating systems the Fuji Xerox installed drivers quickly and without hassle, and we didn't see anything glaring missing from maintenance or toner management options — important when the printer doesn't have a screen to monitor everything.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Performance and print quality
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is different from Fuji Xerox's more expensive printers in that it doesn't have a great deal of internal memory, so larger print jobs can take a while to start printing. The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b's first page out to be roughly around 30 seconds with our monochrome test document, while printing in colour bumps up the wait time to just under 40 seconds.
The main hindrance to running off a couple of pages with the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is the long wait for the first page out. After the first page is produced subsequent sheets come quickly. Once the printer gets up to speed you can expect a colour page every ten seconds or so, so longer print runs at normal printing quality have an average colour printing speed of just under six pages a minute. Black printing is significantly faster as we managed just over ten pages per minute.
Print quality is good for black toner — we prefer laser over inkjet for black document printing purely because of the solid-looking text with no bleeding — and the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is also acceptable for colour. We thought colour graphics occasionally looked posterised and grainy, but for a professional document they're acceptable. We definitely wouldn't use the DocuPrint CP105b for printing a colour photo, though.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Toner costs
Replacement toner cartridges for the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b — there are four, for black, cyan, magenta and yellow — can be bought from online or retail stores for acceptably low prices, although more expensive printers still have cheaper cartridges overall. The 2000-page black cartridge is $89 and each colour cartridge costs $99, giving the DocuPrint CP105b an ongoing cost of 4.5 cents per black A4 page and 21.2 cents per colour A4 page. These costs are identical to the DocuPrint CP205 which we thought was competitive with other entry-level lasers. We also like the high page yields of the DocuPrint CP105b's toner.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b: Conclusion
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP105b is a cheap printer that would be well suited to a small business or home office with small to moderate printing needs.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® Portable SSD
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Kogan curved 4K UHD 55-inch LED LCD TV review
Latest News Articles
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- When life gives you a 3D printer, make a house
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTSenior / Lead AEM DeveloperNSW
- FTLinux System AdminstratorQLD
- FTBusiness Improvement ManagerNSW
- FTJava Developer - Short team Contract @ CanberraNSW
- FTSenior Web DeveloperVIC
- FTLead Network Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Automation Test AnalystNSW
- CCOrganisational Change Analyst - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTSenior Java Developers (Several positions available)QLD
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- TPSenior Drupal Developer / ArchitectQLD
- FTSnr Salesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW
- CCTest Manager with PV Security ClearanceACT
- FTProcess Documentation AnalystNSW
- FTLevel 3 Systems EngineerNSW
- FTSAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCApplication Support Specialist- Bathurst or Port MacquarieNSW
- CCOrganisational Change LeadNSW
- CCFull-stack Software EngineerNSW
- TPSAP Data Migration LeadQLD
- FTData ArchitectNSW
- FTProject AnalystVIC