Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 LED printer
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 review: This colour LED printer produces clean and crisp documents
- Great print quality for a low-end laser or LED printer, good input and output capacity, USB and Ethernet connectivity, good print yields from standard cartridges
- Print speeds are slightly lower than stated, no automatic duplex
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 really impressed us with its combination of features and good print quality. It's a little slower than Fuji Xerox claims, but this is a minor grievance.
Price$ 329.00 (AUD)
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 is a colour LED printer that is able to produce great quality documents. It's affordably priced, so you don't need a multifunction device that can scan and copy as well as print, we have no problems recommending the DocuPrint CP205.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205: Design, control layout and features
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 is sensibly laid out, with a small set of controls on the front of the printer. The two-line LCD can be a little hard to read, but given that the printer is so simple we didn't find ourselves referring to it often.
Up to 150 sheets of paper can be loaded at the base of the printer. Single sheets can also be loaded, which is useful if you occasionally have to print labels or use a letterhead. The DocuPrint CP205's output tray can hold 100 sheets — more than enough to let a few large print jobs stack up before things start overflowing.
USB 2.0 and Ethernet connectivity mean the printer can connect to a single computer or an office network. The slightly more expensive DocuPrint CP205W offers 802.11b/g wireless networking as well.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205: Consumable pricing and yield
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 uses four toner cartridges — the CT201591 black cartridge with a yield of 2000 pages, and CT201592, CT201593 and CT201594 cyan, magenta and yellow cartridges which each have an average yield of 1400 pages. The black toner is $89 and each colour cartridge costs $99, giving the DocuPrint CP205 an ongoing cost of 4.5 cents per black A4 page and 21.2 cents per colour A4 page. These costs are competitive with entry-level and mid-range laser printers.
Cost aside, we like the high page yields of the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205's toner cartridges If we were running a small business, this would be a major factor in favour of using laser/LED compared to inkjet — you'll spend a tenth of the time replacing a laser printer's cartridges than an inkjet's.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 LED printer: Print speed and quality
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 impressed us with the quality of its output. Using the default 1200x2400dpi print settings we found it printed very clear and smooth text and graphics.
We even used the DocuPrint CP205 to run off a couple of surprisingly detailed 6x4in photos. We were also interested to see that the DocuPrint CP205 didn't display the same posterisation problems we've found on almost every colour laser printer — the photos it printed weren't grainy or undersaturated. We wouldn't put it in the same league as a mid-range inkjet printer, but it's able to match entry-level inkjets and beat budget laser printers with its output.
Our one disappointment with the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 was that it printed slightly slower than we were expecting it to. Fuji Xerox claims the DocuPrint CP205 can output 12 pages per minute in colour and 15 pages in monochrome, but over a 50 page print run we were only able to achieve 10 colour and 12 monochrome pages per minute. This isn't a major flaw by any means — just a slight reality check. The time for the first page to print on a document matched Fuji Xerox's claims, though — we timed initial sheets at 15 seconds for colour and 13 seconds for monochrome.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 LED printer: Environmental policy and conclusion
Fuji Xerox is committed to environmental sustainability, and incorporates a range of energy-saving features into its printers — including the use of emulsion aggregation toner which uses less energy than regular toner to produce and print with.
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint CP205 is an excellent choice for a small or medium business. It's surprisingly versatile in its colour printing — we would happily use it for occasionally printing small photos. The only way we think it could have been better would be the inclusion of automatic duplex printing, but this omission is not surprising given its low price.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 2 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
- 3 Sony Xperia X Performance review: Sony’s most disappointing product in years
- 4 Huawei P9 review: lifting photography to another level... sometimes.
- 5 Huawei Mate 8 review: probably the best all-round Android phone you can buy
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Microsoft’s Iowa data center cluster to reach 3.2M square feet
- Google taps AI to help you bid for digital ads
- Office 365 gets new Word, PowerPoint and Outlook features
- Yahoo abandons fight, sells internet business to Verizon for US$4.8B
- LinkedIn claims Rocket Data beats Apple's iOS caching
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTSocial Media AssistantQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (J2EE) 160721/AP/075Asia
- CCUI/UX DeveloperVIC
- CCDW/BI DeveloperACT
- CCSolutions ArchitectQLD
- CCDesktop Engineer (SCCM/SOE)WA
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL/Web) 160719/P/741Asia
- FTPositive Vetted ICT positions - Defence intelligence and information securityACT
- CCIT/Telco Graduate | 12mth ContractVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 160726/AP/186Asia
- CCOracle Pl/SQL DeveloperNSW
- FTGraduate IT supportNSW
- CCProject Manager, Credit CardsNSW
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Scrum MasterNSW
- CCGeo-spatial AdministratorVIC
- CCAgile Delivery ManagerACT
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Oracle Functional Analyst (Finance)VIC
- FTSystems Engineer | Defence | NV1 / NV2 clearanceACT
- CCMac (iOS) Support Engineer - $30 p/h - Three Year ContractNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/UNIX) 160804/AP/172Asia
- CC.NET DeveloperQLD
- CCDatabase AdministratorNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Logistic and TransportVIC