Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b multifunction LED printer
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b review: A multifunction mono laser printer that's cheap and great for paper-heavy businesses
- High duty cycle and toner yield figures, low price (which includes a full toner cartridge)
- Only 150 sheets of paper input, initial page of a document prints slowly, scanner is only good for documents
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a multifunction mono LED printer that is excellent for producing large volumes of documents every month. Its paper input is a little small and the first page takes a short while to print, but otherwise it's a business printer that's built to a high standard.
Price$ 198.99 (AUD)
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a multifunction LED printer with a 20,000 page per month duty cycle and toner cartridges that last for 1000 A4 sheets. It's cheap and it includes scanning and copying capabilities, making it attractive for small businesses that need to digitise or duplicate documents.
Don't know which printer to buy? Use our printer finder wizard to pick the right model.
Learn how to pick the best printer for your home or business with our printer buying guide.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Design and specifications
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b has a front-loading paper cartridge that holds 150 sheets and a 100-sheet output tray. These figures are a little low for the DocuPrint M205b's intended use as a business printer, but as long as you've got extra paper close to hand it shouldn't be a problem. The printer's 20,000 page per month duty cycle means it'll be able to handle small and medium businesses' needs with ease.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Print speed, print quality, performance and toner yield
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b strengths are its speedy document printing and its high toner yields. The first page of a document takes an unimpressive eight seconds to print, but subsequent pages are printed quickly — we had no problems achieving Fuji Xerox's quoted speed of 24 pages per minute in Normal quality settings.
When using Normal quality settings, the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b prints text clearly and with no visible fuzziness on edges. We printed down to 6pt text sizes with words still easily legible, while the edges of graphics and charts were straight and even.
The standard toner cartridge of the Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is rated for 1000 A4 monochrome pages. This $59 cartridge has an ongoing running cost of 5.9 cents per page, but the $95 high yield cartridge lasts for 2200 prints — 4.3 cents per page. These prices are reasonably low for a $199 printer but not competitive with larger and more initially expensive laser printers.
The inbuilt flatbed scanner on the DocuPrint M205b is a 1200x1200dpi unit that's quick and quiet. It's not especially good for extracting fine image detail from photos but documents are captured quickly and at sufficient quality for OCR.
Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b: Conclusion
The Fuji Xerox DocuPrint M205b is a cheap LED printer that's got good printing credentials — it's superior to a similarly priced inkjet like the Brother MFC-J415W in terms of its duty cycle, cartridge yields and print quality.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
- HP to launch 3D printers this year
- This 3D printer can rival standard manufacturing on the factory floor
- HP's new printers move the paper not the ink
- With this new 3D printing technique, robots can 'practically walk right out of the printer'
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Project ManagerAsia
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- CCICT Project Manager - Contact Centre/Telephony FocusNSW
- CCSharepoint DeveloperVIC
- CCTest Analyst - Contact Centre TechnologiesVIC
- FTData AnalystNSW
- FTVendor Manager / Team Lead - ITIL / ITSMVIC
- CCSenior Financial Crime AnalystVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst, Loyalty projectsNSW
- CCPortfolio Manager - Customer Service SystemVIC
- FTSystem EngineerACT
- FTSenior iOS DeveloperNSW
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCRemedy AdministratorNSW
- FTService Coordinator/Scheduler | IT Managed Service ProviderVIC
- CCApplication Solution ArchitectNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Middleware Lead Shared Services (Support and EngineeringVIC
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- CCSystem AnalystNSW
- CCFull Stack Developer - Java - Blue Chip CompanyNSW
- CCSenior AGILE Business AnalystNSW