Gigabyte GA-8I955X Royal
- Easy set up, 1066MHz front-side bus, dual BIOS, stable, USB bluetooth
- Interference with sound during mouse movement
Rock solid performance, pain-free installation and abundant connectivity options make this board a sweet platform for an Intel Pentium Extreme Edition CPU. We liked the fact that Gigabyte bundles a Bluetooth adapter with this board, too
Price$ 459.00 (AUD)
Simple to set up and rock solid during testing, this board is definitely one to go for if you're going to be using the Pentium Extreme Edition CPU. It supports a 1066MHz frontside bus for that CPU and can accommodate 667MHz DDR2 memory modules.
Connectivity features are abundant throughout the Intel 955X-based motherboard: the Royal has legacy ports (serial and parallel) in its rear port cluster as well as two Ethernet ports--both of which are capable of Gigabit networking and are controlled by individual Broadcom chips. It doesn't have a FireWire port in this cluster, so if you wanted to access the FireWire ports you would have to install the supplied expansion bracket, which features both regular FireWire and FireWire800.
For storage, you can take your pick from either the four-port integrated Intel RAID controller or the two-port Silicon Image RAID controller. An ITE IDE RAID controller for up to four devices is thrown in for good measure. We installed Windows XP on a RAID 0 array using the integrated Intel controller. Gigabyte does not supply a floppy disk for installing the RAID drivers during the Windows installation procedure, so we had to make a disk using the drivers provided on the CD-ROM. This worked perfectly and we experienced no issues during installation or during the hard drive transfer tests.
This board features Gigabyte's dual-BIOS technology, which transparently kicks in if you ever experience problems during a BIOS flash. It also features Gigabyte's U-Plus Dual Power System module, which aims to maintain system stability during varied voltage settings, such as when overclocking.
As for the board's design, the PCIe release lever is well designed and relatively easy to access, and all the drive ports and internal peripheral ports (USB and FireWire) are wonderfully aligned along the bottom and side edges of the board. For extra convenience, Gigabyte supplies a Bluetooth USB adapter in the box.
Our impressions of this board are very positive, and the only fault we could pick during testing was the noticeable interference that was exhibited through our analog speaker system when the mouse was moved.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Google Nexus 6P review: An outstanding multimedia machine
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Apple recalls AC wall plug adapters
- CES 2016: Top 10 trends
- Intel's Skylake vPro chips will support Windows 7 after all
- Kogan forced to pay $32,400 penalty by ACCC
- Android Auto coming to 40 car models this year
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSenior Agile Business Analyst - Online/Mobile experienceNSW
- FTMobile Designer / Developer - IOSNSW
- CCWindows System Admin, Administrator, Technical SupportNSW
- CCProject Server Specialist / MS ProjectNSW
- FTFront End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- CCFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCTechnical Integration Specialist - MicrosoftACT
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- FTSenior Systems/SAN EngineerNSW
- CCProject Scheduler / Project Manager - IT InfrastructureNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCProject Manager & Coordination OfficerACT
- FTPrograme ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCTechnical Lead - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCEXCEL Guru / Data AdministratorNSW
- CCMicrosoft Dynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- CCJunior .NET DeveloperQLD
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- FTPHP ProgrammerSA
- CCMVC .Net Developer- Hurstville NSW 2220NSW
- FTIT Technical LeadVIC
- CCJava Developer - IOSNSW