- Aesthetic, great DVD writing
- Slow, uses a lot of system resources
Even though we did experience some problems with the data transfer mode of the drive, it still produced solid test results that make it worth considering.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
If you're fussy about your drive's appearance, then you will appreciate the extra bezel that Gigabyte supplies with this drive, which allows you to dress it up in either black or white. For extra funkiness, you could mix and match the tray plate with the main bezel and become the only kid on the block with a black and white burner!
Aesthetics aside, during our tests this inexpensive unit provided excellent DVD write performance using the CAV method, but slightly sluggish read performance.
During our testing, it mysteriously changed from using Ultra DMA mode to PIO mode. This was perhaps due to the drive having a problem reading one of our pressed discs, and it took us a few system restarts to get the drive working in DMA mode again. For the record, using PIO mode with this drive, even on a powerful system, really made for snail-paced burning and used up to 100 per cent of our system CPU.
The drive comes with Nero Express 6 and PowerDVD. That's fantastic value considering this drive can be found for less than $100.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- AT&T signed up 500,000 cars for its 4G network last quarter
- Government regulation on cloud security may spur SaaS use in health care
- Progress builds up developer chops with Telerik buy
- IBM and Microsoft pledge to make their Clouds compatible
- Some Bank of America customers double-charged with Apple Pay
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW