First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- Aesthetic, great DVD writing
- Slow, uses a lot of system resources
Even though we did experience some problems with the data transfer mode of the drive, it still produced solid test results that make it worth considering.
Price$ 99.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- USB AC1616 2.0 Audio Converter Headphone RCA & ... 96.98
If you're fussy about your drive's appearance, then you will appreciate the extra bezel that Gigabyte supplies with this drive, which allows you to dress it up in either black or white. For extra funkiness, you could mix and match the tray plate with the main bezel and become the only kid on the block with a black and white burner!
Aesthetics aside, during our tests this inexpensive unit provided excellent DVD write performance using the CAV method, but slightly sluggish read performance.
During our testing, it mysteriously changed from using Ultra DMA mode to PIO mode. This was perhaps due to the drive having a problem reading one of our pressed discs, and it took us a few system restarts to get the drive working in DMA mode again. For the record, using PIO mode with this drive, even on a powerful system, really made for snail-paced burning and used up to 100 per cent of our system CPU.
The drive comes with Nero Express 6 and PowerDVD. That's fantastic value considering this drive can be found for less than $100.
Latest News Articles
- SAP ties up with Apigee for API management
- Oracle buys TOA Technologies in strike against Salesforce.com
- IBM buys access control and identity management firm CrossIdeas
- Hacker group targets video game companies to steal source code
- AMD's Kaveri processors coming to smaller, cheaper desktops
Most Popular Articles
- 1 What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- 2 Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- 3 Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Windows 7 Professional
- 4 How do I connect my TV to the Internet?
- 5 How to play DVD movies on your Nintendo Wii
GGG Evaluation Team
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
- Notebooks View all »
- 80% off $1.98
- 84% off $4.60
- $1999 free shipping
- Tablets View all »
- Mobile Phones View all »
- TVs View all »
- Digital Cameras View all »