Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5
- Easy to use
- Fails to flag suspicious additions to HKLM 'Run' keys, lacks antiphishing protection
In the end, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 is a pretty solid program with the strongest signature database we tested, but it falls short in behaviour-based protection against unknown threats.
Price$ 42.50 (AUD)
Grisoft, well known for the AVG Anti-Virus software, purchased Ewido Networks in 2006 and reworked its anti-spyware technology into Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5. The sleek-looking program recognised, on average, the largest percentage of threats. Unfortunately, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 suffers from poor behaviour-based protection and a high false-positive rate.
During tests Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 proved itself adept at uncovering known adware and spyware. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 detected 19 of 20 active samples (ones installed on the test PC), missing only the Banbra Trojan horse, which attempts to collect online-banking credentials. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also by far the best at recognising our large stable of inactive adware, keyloggers, bank-related spyware programs and rootkits - a testament to the breadth of its signature database.
But when Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 didn't recognise the threat, its behaviour-based detection failed to flag suspicious additions to HKLM 'Run' keys, changes to the default Internet Explorer start and search pages, and alterations of our test system's Hosts file. As a result, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 may allow unknown threats to tamper with key areas of your PC. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also the only product we tested to produce false positives.
Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 deactivated 50 per cent of the spyware files and Registry entries we introduced - the second-best showing among the five Vista-tested programs. Unfortunately, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 successfully cleaned only 30 per cent of adware files and Registry entries.
Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 is easy to use, with self-explanatory icons at the top of the main interface. On the down side, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 lacks antiphishing protection to keep you from going to fraudulent financial sites looking for personal information, and it has no POP3, IMAP or SMTP scanning to block e-mail-borne spyware threats.
Also, you can't set a system restore point in case you accidentally delete critical files during Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5's disinfection routine. If you opt for Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5, consider purchasing it through a third-party distributor that offers phone support. Grisoft's own customer support is limited to e-mail communications.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- A.I. faces hype, skepticism at RSA cybersecurity show
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- Privacy groups urge investigation of 'internet of toys'
- Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft and YouTube will share terror content info
- How to password protect a PDF before sending it by email
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- TPBusiness AnalystACT
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSenior Java EngineerACT
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- FTNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTTechnical Consultant - SQL Server programming skillsACT
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- FTDeveloper/ ProgrammerSA
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- TPJava DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior ITIL Service AnalystVIC
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA