Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5
- Easy to use
- Fails to flag suspicious additions to HKLM 'Run' keys, lacks antiphishing protection
In the end, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 is a pretty solid program with the strongest signature database we tested, but it falls short in behaviour-based protection against unknown threats.
Price$ 42.50 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
- Antivirus Version 2015 For 2 Pcs Or Laptops & F... 65.85
Grisoft, well known for the AVG Anti-Virus software, purchased Ewido Networks in 2006 and reworked its anti-spyware technology into Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5. The sleek-looking program recognised, on average, the largest percentage of threats. Unfortunately, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 suffers from poor behaviour-based protection and a high false-positive rate.
During tests Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 proved itself adept at uncovering known adware and spyware. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 detected 19 of 20 active samples (ones installed on the test PC), missing only the Banbra Trojan horse, which attempts to collect online-banking credentials. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also by far the best at recognising our large stable of inactive adware, keyloggers, bank-related spyware programs and rootkits - a testament to the breadth of its signature database.
But when Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 didn't recognise the threat, its behaviour-based detection failed to flag suspicious additions to HKLM 'Run' keys, changes to the default Internet Explorer start and search pages, and alterations of our test system's Hosts file. As a result, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 may allow unknown threats to tamper with key areas of your PC. Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 was also the only product we tested to produce false positives.
Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 deactivated 50 per cent of the spyware files and Registry entries we introduced - the second-best showing among the five Vista-tested programs. Unfortunately, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 successfully cleaned only 30 per cent of adware files and Registry entries.
Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 is easy to use, with self-explanatory icons at the top of the main interface. On the down side, Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5 lacks antiphishing protection to keep you from going to fraudulent financial sites looking for personal information, and it has no POP3, IMAP or SMTP scanning to block e-mail-borne spyware threats.
Also, you can't set a system restore point in case you accidentally delete critical files during Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5's disinfection routine. If you opt for Grisoft AVG Antispyware 7.5, consider purchasing it through a third-party distributor that offers phone support. Grisoft's own customer support is limited to e-mail communications.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
- 5 Oppo Find 7 Android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- OnePlus One pre-orders go live this week
- Telstra misled customers on smartphone warranties: ACCC
- Apple's Yosemite OS shares Spotlight search terms by default
- First products from Apple-IBM deal to come next month
- Smartsheet, the project management tool cloaked as a spreadseet, adds visualization
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW