Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) digital radio
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio combines a digital radio receiver and an iPod dock
- Interesting design, DAB+ digital radio
- No alarm clock function, bass lacks richness, treble occasionally lacks clarity
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) has a DAB+ digital radio receiver and an iPod dock. We would have liked it to have an alarm clock and better sound quality, but it is a fairly good package at this price.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) is a digital radio and iPod dock with two speakers and a tuner for receiving conventional FM radio.
With digital radio being rolled out by 1 July in Australia at the latest, it's a good time to upgrade to a DAB+ radio. We've already reviewed the Sangean DPR-99 DAB+ Radio and a range of other manufacturers (such as Yamaha and Tivoli) will soon be releasing digital radios.
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) has an attractive design, with a piano-black chassis and curved sides. Its two 2W speakers are hidden under a felt cover and control buttons sit on either side of the iPod dock.
The two-line FSTN display (a form of LCD) shows information such as station name and a clock (which can be automatically set using digital radio signals). Unfortunately, the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio (GDR710DABIP) doesn't have an alarm clock function, which is disappointing considering the price.
Signal acquisition for both DAB+ digital and FM radio is simple thanks to the automatic scanning. Although the initial basic scan failed to locate any digital radio stations, the full scan locked on to all 11 currently broadcast in Sydney.
The iPod dock is compatible with the iPhone. The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio's remote control offers full iPod menu control and is easy to use. You can plug the Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio into a power point or use six C-cell batteries.
The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio pumps out enough sound to fill a small to medium room, but it distorts at high volume levels. Mid-range notes sound smooth, but the lack of bass is quite noticeable. While listening to Green Onions by Booker T. & the M.G.'s, the track's deep bass wasn't adequately represented and lacked power. The Grundig DAB+ iPod Docking Radio lets you manually increase the level of bass but it does so at the expense of mid-range.
Although the two 3in speakers have no trouble hitting the high notes, we found that treble occasionally sounded slightly muffled. When listening to The Flower Duet from the opera Lakmé the high notes weren't clear enough, but this is expected for a device at this price point.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTInfrastructure Security Compliance OfficerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst/ Iteration ManagerVIC
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- TPAEM DeveloperNSW
- TPAgile CoachNSW
- TPSharePoint AnalystQLD
- TPSenior Business AnalystVIC
- TPInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Functional Consultant - Data Analytics - TelcoVIC
- TPSenior Business Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer with Strong SQL DevNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- CCBusiness AnalystSA
- CCNetIQ Development & SupportNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- CCPega DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)ACT
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- TPNodeJS DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer - ContractQLD