- Small, attractive, easy to use
- Some sound distortion at high volume levels
The Ovation would make a nice musical addition to any bedroom
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
When you wake up in the morning, we think you'll agree with us that it's not always nice to be greeted with the piercing shriek of your alarm clock. Do you also find that on a Sunday morning, you'd like to listen to some music, but the idea of going downstairs to switch on the HiFi just seems far too much effort? Well, Grundig has the solution to both these problems in the Ovation: a micro CD player and radio. Of course, you don't have to keep it in your bedroom, it would work equally well in the kitchen or anywhere else you choose, but it's definitely best suited to a smaller room.
The Ovation is one of many "lifestyle" devices that have flooded the market in recent years. Companies such as Bose and Bang & Olufsen have made a hefty profit flogging stunning pieces of gear that unfortunately cost a not-so-small fortune. Sitting slightly lower down in the market is Grundig with its Ovation range of players. While the Ovation's performance can't match those much more expensive players, in our minds unless you're a lotto winner, it's a much better buy.
Grundig has spent some time ensuring that the design of the Ovation is aesthetically pleasing yet also functional. The Ovation sports a somewhat minimalist design, with lots of sharp lines and circles in various shades of silver. This minimalism is especially prevalent on the remote control as all the buttons are identical, which at first glance can be a little confusing. Once you've got used to where the various functions lie, this isn't such a problem. The remote control also comes with its own stand, the inclusion of which seems as much to show off the remote as it does to provide useful storage. In true show-off style the Ovation also sports a snazzy multicoloured backlight. At first we were slightly irritated by its constant flashing, but this thankfully stops and can be set to any colour of the rainbow that you desire.
Typically, very small CD players offer very small sound. The Ovation bucks this trend by including a dedicated bass speaker with volume levels that defy its diminutive proportions. The lower frequency sound can become slightly distorted on bass heavy tracks at higher volumes but for the most part we found the sound to be crisp, clear and powerful. Testing across the whole spectrum of musical genres we found that rock, pop, classical and dance music all sounded pretty good. We were particularly surprised with the Ovation's powerful renditions of heavier styles. This is in part helped by the inclusion of a five mode equalizer with presets for classical, pop, rock and jazz. A bass boost function is also a useful addition, though we found that for some genres of music this pushes the sound too far, leading to some nasty distortion.
The Ovation doesn't sport an overwhelming number of functions. You can play CDs or you can listen to the radio. That's pretty much it, though the ability to play MP3 CDs is also welcome. Despite this apparent lack of functionality, the Ovation is an attractive device that will sit nicely in any home, also having the bonus of good performance and a price tag that won't break the bank.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 3 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 4 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Plex Cloud is now open to all paid users
- YouTube launches streaming TV service with 40 channels and unlimited cloud DVR storage
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTSalesforce Business AnalystNSW
- TPTeam Leader Project And Quality AssuranceVIC
- FTSenior Network EngineerACT
- TPBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- CC1 st Level Help Desk SupportNSW
- CCNetwork EngineerQLD
- FTSenior PHP Developer / ArchitectQLD
- CCIT End to End UX Designer.VIC
- CCSystems EngineerNSW
- CCNetwork Engineer FIFO WeipaQLD
- TPBI & Report Developer (SQL Developer)QLD
- TPBusiness AnalystQLD
- TPBI Report Developer - SSRS SSIS SSASNSW
- CCWindows Server EngineerNSW
- FTWindows EngineerWA
- FTFull Stack Developer - Symfony 2QLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTPMO CoordinatorACT
- FTDrupal Developer - Senior or Mid levelQLD
- FTSolution Architect - SecurityVIC
- TPOffice 365 Deployment SupportQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst | DETQLD
- FTSalesforce Project LeadQLD