Grundig UMS 555
- Can record CD tracks and radio to MP3 format, support for USB and SD/MMC cards, easy to use
- Sound range is limited and geared towards pop and modern rock
Overall it's quite a respectable unit, which will suit casual users.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Grundig's UMS 555 is an attractively designed Hi-Fi system. Although audio quality isn't great, its small size and collection of nifty features, along with its relatively low price, make it an attractive option for users looking for a simple CD and MP3 playing system. The integration of a USB and SD/MMC card slot is one of the unit's biggest advantages, which allows recording from CD straight to MP3 format.
A limited sound range is probably the unit's biggest drawback. Audio is quite clear at moderate listening volumes, although it does suffer when the volume is cranked. For the unit's price range, its quality is respectable; however, treble tends to be quite flat and is often overpowered by a more dominant mid-range. The UMS 555 does quite a good job with punchy bass, but slower and more lingering lower frequency tracks aren't handled as well. The overall performance of this product is well suited to most pop and modern rock songs; however fans of classical or jazz will find that it is unable to do these genres as much justice.
Still, what the UMS 555 lacks in audio quality, it makes up for in utility, with the ability to record tracks off CDs straight to MP3 format, to either USB devices or SD/MMC cards. This feature is integrated quite well, and can be accessed with a single-button press on the remote. Although it's not a hugely original or powerful feature, the simplicity of its integration and use make it a valuable addition to the product.
The interface is relatively simple, with a well laid out remote and buttons on the unit itself. Navigating the menu can be a little tricky, with the small LED screen on the front; however, the overall simplicity of the system means that this isn't a commonly accessed feature. The EQ includes five presets as well as a custom option, which is nice to see on a system at this price point.
Grundig has included an impressive amount of versatility in the UMS 555, with its ability to play radio, CDs, MP3s and WMAs on either USB memory, data CDs or SD/MMC cards. Other options such as random/repeat, a headphone jack, and sleep timer round it off nicely.
Overall the UMS 555 is a relatively versatile product. Considering its price point the sound quality is quite reasonable, and it brings some nifty and useful features as well. It's far and away from a high-end audio product, but should be well suited as a bedroom or kid's room unit.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- TPDigital Project ManagerVIC
- TPAPS6/EL1 Database Modelling SpecialistACT
- TPWinforms DevelopersWA
- CCSenior Project Manager - Regulatory/Compliance - BankingNSW
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- CCUnix AdministratorNSW
- FTTelecommunications Services Manager - Voice/Data/UCQLD
- FTDevOps/Senior Sys Admin - eCommerce - Permanent - Sydney Northern BeachesNSW
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - AgileQLD
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCIT Procurement OfficerNSW
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- CCProject Support OfficerNSW
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- CCTest Capability LeadNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - ApplicationsNSW
- FTChange Manager - Large Transition ProjectNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- FTITIL Service ManagerVIC
- FTIT Information Security AdvisorNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- CCSolution Architect - VMwareVIC