Hauppauge Nova-t PCI
- Stable performance, excellent time shifting features, easy channel scan
The Nova-t PCI is a great card and its software is very reliable. Its recording and playback performance was excellent in our tests and the WinTV Nova-t software package was easy to use.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Hauppauge's Nova-t PCI card has been around for a while now, and so has its software player, WinTV Nova-t. This software is very stable and more than capable of decent recording, scheduling and timeshifting. Its interface is simple, with the list of channels and control functions on the left of the screen and the main TV window (with "now" and "next" program information) to the right.
Its recording performance is among the best we have seen, as it allows you to pause and resume a recording, which is perfect for cutting out commercial breaks while watching what you are recording. Think back to the days when you patiently sat through recording a program on your VCR with your finger on the pause button in anticipation of the ad break. Another neat feature is that you can record in the background with the video and sound functions off.
When timeshifting is initiated, it launches a little window of its own that is used for pausing, playing and navigating timeshifted data. In addition, a little checkbox allows you to decide whether you want timeshifted data to be deleted automatically or whether you want to keep it, which can come in pretty handy.
One quirk we did find with the software relates to its volume control. If you change the volume within WinTV Nova-t and then exit the program, your WAVE volume will be set to the level of the WinTV Nova-t's volume, affecting the rest of your programs that rely on audio.
For couch-dwellers, the Nova-t PCI ships with a nifty little remote that works very well with WinTV Nova-t. In terms of picture quality, SD and HD programming looked magnificent during testing and the tuner's ability to find all available channels on the first scan was impressive.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Razer’s DeathAdder Elite upgrades the ever-popular gaming mouse's capabilities
- Falling flash prices are a boon to enterprise storage buyers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- AMD's Vega GPUs will start shipping in the first half of 2017
- GeForce GTX 970 settlement website opens, Nvidia will pay graphics card owners $30
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTTest SpecialistSA
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTInfrastructure Solutions ArchitectACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCNetwork Design Specialist - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCICT Security AuditorACT
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness ArchitectNSW
- FTIT Pre-Sales EngineerSA
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- FTTechnical Support Engineer | Cloud | Automation techsNSW