- Easy to set up and use, well-designed interface
- Frustrating remote control
Good performance and helpful features make the WinTV PVR-150 a solid choice.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Among the least-expensive of Hauppauge's WinTV series of PCI TV tuners, the analog WinTV PVR-150 comes bundled with the Hauppauge's WinTV tuner software, which is easy to set up and lets you fine-tune a channel's frequency after setup, in case the automatic scan fails to latch on properly.
The software's controls are fairly compact. They run along a strip on the left of the interface and in a small strip along the bottom, leaving considerable room for the TV image itself. The timeshifting and recording controls are tucked out of sight until you activate them, and you can hide or display the control strips instantly by right-clicking anywhere on the TV image. This lean design comes at a price, though: some of the buttons are very tiny, especially in the timeshift and recording control panels.
Despite the well-designed interface, the remote control is frustrating. Several buttons don't activate the functions described on their labels, while some unmarked buttons do have functions. Unfortunately, the manual describes--incompletely--a different remote, and the online help doesn't mention it at all.
The WinTV-PVR-150 comes with Nanocosmos NanoPEG Editor 2.3, a basic MPEG editor for trimming or piecing together footage, though it lacks other common video-editing features. Another program, Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 3 SE, burns recorded programs to DVD or CD. We found capturing and managing still images particularly easy with the WinTV software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- Falling flash prices are a boon to enterprise storage buyers
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- AMD's Vega GPUs will start shipping in the first half of 2017
- GeForce GTX 970 settlement website opens, Nvidia will pay graphics card owners $30
- Nvidia's faster, better GeForce Experience 3.0 launches with mandatory registration
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCData Analyst | Data Management Framework | Experience in RNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperVIC
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- FTCarrier/ Industrial Network ConsultantsWA
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCLAN ConsultantWA
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- CCSenior Change ManagerVIC
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCNetwork and Security EngineerNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Design EngineerNSW
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 160927/JP/551Asia
- FTNetApp Storage ConsultantWA
- CCIT Security ArchitectACT
- FTTechnical Business Analyst | Marketing ServicesNSW
- CCTechnical Architect/DesignerACT
- FTSenior Front End DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCICT Security AuditorACT