- Easy to set up and use, well-designed interface
- Frustrating remote control
Good performance and helpful features make the WinTV PVR-150 a solid choice.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Among the least-expensive of Hauppauge's WinTV series of PCI TV tuners, the analog WinTV PVR-150 comes bundled with the Hauppauge's WinTV tuner software, which is easy to set up and lets you fine-tune a channel's frequency after setup, in case the automatic scan fails to latch on properly.
The software's controls are fairly compact. They run along a strip on the left of the interface and in a small strip along the bottom, leaving considerable room for the TV image itself. The timeshifting and recording controls are tucked out of sight until you activate them, and you can hide or display the control strips instantly by right-clicking anywhere on the TV image. This lean design comes at a price, though: some of the buttons are very tiny, especially in the timeshift and recording control panels.
Despite the well-designed interface, the remote control is frustrating. Several buttons don't activate the functions described on their labels, while some unmarked buttons do have functions. Unfortunately, the manual describes--incompletely--a different remote, and the online help doesn't mention it at all.
The WinTV-PVR-150 comes with Nanocosmos NanoPEG Editor 2.3, a basic MPEG editor for trimming or piecing together footage, though it lacks other common video-editing features. Another program, Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 3 SE, burns recorded programs to DVD or CD. We found capturing and managing still images particularly easy with the WinTV software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Intel's Atom architecture to live on despite smartphone chip cancellations
- Corsair's K70 RGP Rapidfire features new gaming-focused Cherry MX switches
- Intel axes 12,000 jobs as it looks to break away from PCs
- The Asus ROG GT51CA has a weird ROG Band wearable that unlocks a hidden hard drive
- HP wants to turn your Mac into a 44-core Windows PC
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCSCCM - SCOM - AD Systems EngineerNSW
- CCSenior Analyst, Applications - GDWVIC
- CCSenior Technical WriterVIC
- FTTrading System QAAsia
- CCTransition Program ManagerNSW
- FTProduct OwnerNSW
- FTChange Lead- DigitalVIC
- CCSales Development Executive - Software SolutionsNSW
- CCSr. Project Manager - Six SigmaVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Network & System Mgt.) 160509/ITA/281Asia
- CCIntegration Delivery Project ManagerNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- CCOnline Shop Operations Consultant (eCommerce)VIC
- CCJava Developer / DevOps | FINEOS Application | Long Term ContractNSW
- CCContract Snr IT Assistant (IT Operation/UNIX) 160504/SITA/982Asia
- CCAnalyst Programmer (JAVA/Windows Programming) 160422/AP/544Asia
- CCSales Development Executive - Flexible Working HoursNSW
- CCMicrosoft Server EngineerWA
- FTSenior Storage Systems EngineerACT
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- FTDeveloper - OSB/BPELNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (C++/JAVA/SQL) 160505/SA/971Asia
- FTSenior Technical ConsultantVIC
- CCSenior Project Manager, Technology Upgrade & RefreshNSW
- FTSQL DeveloperNSW