- Easy to set up and use, well-designed interface
- Frustrating remote control
Good performance and helpful features make the WinTV PVR-150 a solid choice.
Price$ 299.00 (AUD)
Among the least-expensive of Hauppauge's WinTV series of PCI TV tuners, the analog WinTV PVR-150 comes bundled with the Hauppauge's WinTV tuner software, which is easy to set up and lets you fine-tune a channel's frequency after setup, in case the automatic scan fails to latch on properly.
The software's controls are fairly compact. They run along a strip on the left of the interface and in a small strip along the bottom, leaving considerable room for the TV image itself. The timeshifting and recording controls are tucked out of sight until you activate them, and you can hide or display the control strips instantly by right-clicking anywhere on the TV image. This lean design comes at a price, though: some of the buttons are very tiny, especially in the timeshift and recording control panels.
Despite the well-designed interface, the remote control is frustrating. Several buttons don't activate the functions described on their labels, while some unmarked buttons do have functions. Unfortunately, the manual describes--incompletely--a different remote, and the online help doesn't mention it at all.
The WinTV-PVR-150 comes with Nanocosmos NanoPEG Editor 2.3, a basic MPEG editor for trimming or piecing together footage, though it lacks other common video-editing features. Another program, Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 3 SE, burns recorded programs to DVD or CD. We found capturing and managing still images particularly easy with the WinTV software.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Nvidia rushes hotfix after bad GeForce driver broke Windows 10's Start menu, apps
- AMD drops Radeon RX 460, RX 470 prices ahead of Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050 launch
- Samsung releases super-high-capacity 8GB DRAM
- Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti can give prebuilt PCs a big gaming boost
- Tested: Shadow Warrior 2 sees huge performance boosts from Nvidia's multi-res shading
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProgram Architect - Payment/CardsVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (HACMP/Oracle) 161103/SA/335Asia
- TPPHP Junior Developer/ProgrammerQLD
- FTSenior Architect | Perl | Linux |MySQL | Infrastructure | TelecomNSW
- TPAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSOE ConsultantACT
- CCDevOps EngineerNSW
- CCHuman Sciences Professional - DefenceACT
- CCDevOps/Automation EngineerNSW
- CCInformatica LeadNSW
- FTDynamics CRM DeveloperSA
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- FTLevel 1/2 Service Desk AnalystWA
- CCSenior Siebel Business AnalystACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantQLD
- FTEmbedded Software EngineerSA
- CCBI Program DirectorNSW
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementNSW
- CCBusiness Process Analyst - Telco (Sydney CBD)NSW
- CCSAP Lumira ConsultantWA
- TPProgram Control ManagerSA
- FTNetwork Support SpecialistACT
- CCTechnology Training ManagerNSW
- FTXamarin DeveloperQLD
- CCSolution Architect - BRISBANE BASEDVIC