Hewlett-Packard Australia Color LaserJet CP1518ni
- Good quality, thorough documentation
- Slow, below-average paper tray capacity
For individual users or a small office, the Color LaserJet CP1518ni's minimal paper handling and toner supplies are probably adequate. Only extremely patient people will find it easy to tolerate the slow engine, however, especially when similarly priced models are much faster and have better features.
Price$ 499.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
HP's Color LaserJet CP1518ni is a low-cost colour laser printer with a decent design.
However, it's not the quickest and has limited paper handling, so the HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni may be best suited for use in a home or a fairly small office.
In our tests, the HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni produced plain text pages at a paltry 11.2 pages per minute (9ppm) and graphics pages at 2ppm or slower.
At least the results were pleasing: text looks black and crisp. Although a little dark, photos look reasonably natural. Grayscale images are free of the green or pink overtones that we often see. HP's own image enhancement technology, called ImageREt 3600 technology, might have helped here: among other tricks, it manipulates the size and position of the dot within the usual resolution grid, to give images a smoother, more natural look.
(In connection with its use of this technology, HP long ago ceased quoting dots-per-inch resolution specs in favour of the vaguer ImageREt designation.)
Besides being slow, the HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni has design and configuration shortcomings.
The 150-sheet capacity of the HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni's main paper tray is below average. When extended to accommodate legal paper, the tray sticks out the front of the printer; technically, this occupies the same amount of space as the more common rear extension, but it looks odd.
Duplex (two-sided) printing is unavailable. The HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni's front control panel (with a two-line, monochrome LCD) is unintuitive. There's no clear indication that you must use the 'ok' button to summon the menus. Access doors and other parts feel flimsy or move clumsily.
On the brighter side, the HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni comes with five photo card slots on the front and has an easily accessible side door for accepting a RAM upgrade (maximum 352MB).
As on many low-cost printers, the HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni's toner cartridges are low-capacity and high-priced. The printer comes with starter supplies of each colour good for 750 pages of output.
HP's documentation is thorough. The wordless setup sheet for unpacking and installing the HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni's cartridges looks more like a page ripped out of a comic book than something official, but the instructions are clear.
The installation routine relies on animated wizards. Inside the HP Color LaserJet CP1518ni, illustrated stickers help you perform routine tasks without consulting the manual. The HTML-based documentation is comprehensive without being overly technical.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCMainframe Application ArchitectNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCSAP Program Manager - CBDNSW
- CCSenior Project ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | ICT intelligent systems integrationVIC
- CCOracle/Java/Applications DeveloperACT
- CCProgram CoordinatorVIC
- CCDesktop Support AnalystNSW
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Windows 7/8/10) 160901/SA/212Asia
- CCSolution Architect - POSVIC
- FTFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCFunctional & System Integration Test AnalystACT
- CCActive Directory Consultant/ArchitectWA
- CCCA Gen Model Management-Oracle RDBMS, Oracle Solaris, TTNNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (JAVA/MySQL/PHP) 160819/SA/173Asia
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - TelecommunicationVIC
- CCProgram Director, Cyber Security TransformationNSW
- FTTest Lead - HP ALMNSW