- works really good with win7
- Took too long to find Drivers
- • • •
I bought mine in 2006 and have been really happy with it.
I won't change this with any other one.
Hewlett-Packard Australia Compaq nc6220
- Durable, light, tight security, DVD writer
- Outperformed by rivals
The HP Compaq nc6220 is a durable lightweight notebook with good performance. While it is outperformed by its nearest rivals it holds its own with a host of unique features.
Price$ 1,295.00 (AUD)
The nc6220 is a Compaq sub-branded business notebook from HP that includes Intel's second-generation Centrino (Sonoma) technology.
The model's focus areas include reliability, battery life/weight (mobility) and security.
HP's planned long life cycle of the nc6220 wouldn't be possible if it wasn't also as durable as it is. To this end, the company has employed magnesium alloy casework (that also wraps around the display bezel) together with hard disk protection and extra laminate over the keyboard keys to fend off premature fading and ageing.
On the whole, the slim, light (2.4kg) and no-fuss black/grey appearance is definitely reminiscent of old Compaq workhorses, but also notebooks from IBM/Lenovo--with which HP is clearly going to be competing for market share.
The nc6220 includes several HP utilities (including networking and battery assistants) to make adjusting settings a straightforward affair. HP Local Recovery provided by Altiris is also supplied.
The nc6220 includes a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) Embedded Security Chip attached to the motherboard to encrypt and store sensitive data. The chip works with a smart card reader and HP Drivelock technology for various levels of lock down. It can also notify you if your RAM is tampered with and require that a password be entered for power-on.
This machine is outperformed by its similarly configured rival, the Lenovo ThinkPad T43p. Both target the same market, are around the same weight and include Gigabit Ethernet, 56Kbps modems, 802.11a/b/g wireless networking and Bluetooth connection options. The Lenovo features an ExpressCard slot (ready for the next generation of PC Card-style peripherals) in addition to a dedicated graphics processor.
However, HP's nc6200 notebook has features the Lenovo doesn't, such as a removable/modular (via single screw) DVD writer, TV-out and aforementioned smart card reader. The nc6220 doesn't include a FireWire port, but it does have a serial port--still in use in many workplaces. There are also optional basic and advanced docking stations/port replicators available for this model, in addition to USB floppy disk drives.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Drupal: If you weren't quick to patch, assume your site was hacked
- Smartphone share of overall mobile phone sales stalling at 70 percent
- Pirate Bay co-founder found guilty of hacking in Denmark
- Germany backs plan to retain personal flight data across EU
- China: Facebook not banned, but must follow the rules
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW