Hewlett-Packard Australia Deskjet 6540
- Fast printing in both black and colour
- Its colour printing is more expensive than competitors
If blistering print speed is crucial--particularly if you're looking to make regular use of the lower quality settings--you'll find this a stunning printer.
Price$ 158.44 (AUD)
The DeskJet 6540's biggest selling point is its claim of 30ppm (pages per minute) printing. Speeds quoted by manufacturers should always be taken with a pinch of salt, but while the 6540's real-world performance is almost half the stated speed, it still manages to outperform every other printer in its price range.
Not only did it produce black text at the staggering rate of 16ppm during our tests, its output in FastDraft mode was surprisingly dark and legible. Speed falls to a still rapid 7.8ppm at the second quality mode. Even with the dark and pristine lettering produced by the third quality setting, performance is a very reasonable 7.5ppm.
Switch to colour and the 6540 is even more impressive. Even at the lowest quality setting, the quality is extremely good at a blistering 6.3ppm, which is an amazing rate for an inkjet. At the higher quality modes, it's still faster than the competition, and produces higher quality output that fizzes with colour.
The HP has a carefully thought-out external control panel that makes it easy to adjust the printer's settings. It doesn't feature any specific digital camera features.
You can bolt on an optional 250-sheet paper tray in addition to the standard 150-sheet tray.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 2 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 3 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 4 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 5 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Review
Latest News Articles
- HP offers US$1 billion for Samsung's printer business
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTScrum Master | High Profile FintechNSW
- FTBackup ConsultantWA
- CCSenior Project ManagerACT
- CCFull Stack Application Developer - IoT projectsVIC
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / Kronos)NSW
- FTCustomer Solutions Engineer | Voice | Data | TelcoNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst with change management experienceACT
- CCBusiness Analyst - Telecom ProjectNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FTLinux Systems AdministratorNZ
- FTTeam Leader Full Stack, Python, FinanceNSW
- CCiOS DeveloperNSW
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCService Desk analystSA
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTDesktop/Application SupportVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst -Change and SAP ProcurementNSW
- CCInformatica Developer (MDM)NSW
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCSolutions ArchitectACT
- FTMDM EngineerNSW
- FTOutbound TelesalesVIC
- CCDesktop Infrastructure SpecialistACT
- CCData Analyst | Data Feeds | Catalogue and MapNSW