Hewlett-Packard Australia LaserJet M1120 MFP
- Impressive colour scanning results, low price
- Memory can't be upgraded, input and output trays can't be increased, not very fast print speeds, lacklustre copying
Should your business need to add scanning to basic mono print facilities, the HP LaserJet M1120 MFP will cover both tasks with reasonable aplomb. It's not super fast, and you won't want to rely on it for huge print jobs, but for running off a few text documents it'll more than suffice. Should you not need scanning, though, you can find better dedicated printers elsewhere.
Price$ 320.00 (AUD)
Tall and boxy, the HP LaserJet M1120 MFP looks more like an oversized paper shredder than a fully fledged multifunction printer.
Not that the majority of the target audience (small and home businesses) will be deterred by this. Indeed, given that you get a full mono laser printer, scanner and copier for just $320, customers are likely to forgive the HP LaserJet M1120 MFP its rather basic looks.
Here we've reviewed the standard HP LaserJet M1120 MFP. However, you can buy an additional model, the M1120n, which comes with a built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet port. The extra cost is likely to amount to just $35, so upgrading to this would seem an obvious move for the typical small business.
Otherwise though, the HP LaserJet M1120 MFP's low asking price doesn't allow for much in the way of advanced features. You don't get any fax or automatic duplexing facilities, for instance.
The HP LaserJet M1120 MFP's standard 32MB of memory can't be upgraded. Neither can you improve on the 250 and 125 input and output trays. But then, those needing to produce high volumes of documents will almost certainly feel the need to go for something with a little more clout.
The HP LaserJet M1120 MFP's text output is of a very decent quality. Prints aren't the darkest, but the letters are clearly formed and documents will typically look extremely professional.
The MFD can turn its hand to mono graphics as well, and the results here are generally clean. The HP LaserJet M1120 MFP is perhaps not the fastest mono laser available, but its rate of 16.2 pages per minute (ppm) should be adequate for most.The HP LaserJet M1120 MFP is a healthy 4.3ppm faster than the $149.00 HL-2140, for instance.
The HP LaserJet M1120 MFP's 24-bit colour scanning component is also pretty decent, churning out an A4 image at 300dpi in just under 16 seconds – 52 seconds was needed for 600dpi.
Even at 300dpi, we were impressed by the amount of colour and detail offered by the HP LaserJet M1120 MFP.
We can't be as enthusiastic about the HP LaserJet M1120 MFP's copying facilities though, and the results here are surprisingly lacklustre.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Hacker hijacks thousands of publicly exposed printers to warn owners
- HP shutting down default FTP, Telnet access to network printers
- Why won’t my printer connect to my wireless router?
- HP offers US$1 billion for Samsung's printer business
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk Support (CISCO)QLD
- TPInstructional Designer | DETQLD
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Java DeveloperNSW
- CCCyber Security ArchitectNSW
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- FTJunior Software Developer - SASACT
- CCProject Coordinator l Large Media Capital Investment ProgramNSW
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- FTApplication Support SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Learning Specialist - Global OrganisationQLD
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- FTFront End DeveloperQLD
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- CCIntegration DeveloperNSW
- CCBPM DeveloperVIC
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional ConsultantQLD
- TPTechnical WriterVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystSA
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXVIC