Hewlett-Packard Australia Pavilion zd8004AP
- Bright 17in screen, dedicated number pad, excellent performance
- Minimal battery life
A notebook that any multimedia buff would love.
Price$ 2,999.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 1 store)
Its been a while since we saw a multimedia desktop replacement notebook as classy as this.
The highlight of our test model is most definitely its bright 17" screen. It has a great viewable angle, a high contrast coating and native resolution of 1440 x 900 pixels. The notebook comes with an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 graphics controller with 128MB of video memory.
The zd8004AP includes a full-size keyboard, complete with dedicated number pad. The extra wide touch pad feels responsive, includes scrolling functionality and can be quickly turned off using the button just above it--great if you're using an external mouse and keep bumping the pad.
Hewlett-Packard has chosen to use a 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor 640 with Hyper-Threading, together with 512MB of DDR2 memory, an 80GB hard disk and a dual-layer multiformat DVD writer. Our test results showed this combination offered excellent performance but minimal battery life.
When you're not watching DVDs (using the bundled remote control) or playing games on this big (4.3kg) but beautiful notebook, you may want to transfer photos from your digital camera using the six-in-one media card reader, four USB 2.0 slots or single FireWire port. Alternatively, you can connect to almost any network, as Ethernet, 56Kbps modem, Bluetooth and 802.11b/g Wi-Fi networking connections are all integrated.
An S-Video TV-out port is also included, as is a connection port for HP's optional xb2000 notebook expansion base. HP has also included what it calls its USB Digital Drive: a bay for its own special high-capacity digital storage media. The zd8004AP also has one Type II PC card slot and one of the newer ExpressCard slots for connecting high bandwidth peripherals.
HP also provides a fantastic software bundle that's perfect for work and study, home movie creation and media centre-style playback. A one-year warranty rounds out a notebook that any multimedia buff would love.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- North Korea reportedly blocks Facebook and Twitter
- FCC eyes new rules to protect consumers as voice networks transition to IP
- Startup Slack gets $120M infusion to kill email at work
- Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- Oracle's Larry Ellison isn't done building his legacy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT