Hewlett-Packard Australia Photosmart Pro B9180
- Colour calibrator, pigment-based inks, HP Printer Utility allows you to install custom paper profiles directly into the printer's driver, excellent prints with colours coming out almost perfect
- It sometimes crimps one end of very thick paper when fed through the manual-feed slot
Try as we might, we couldn't come up with any significant defects in the HP Photosmart Pro B9180. The only thing we didn't like is how the printer can sometimes crimp one end of very thick paper when fed through the manual-feed slot. While we think there are definite reasons for purchasing some of the higher-priced Epson and Canon printers -- roll support, larger paper sizes, higher-production print runs -- the B9180 sits at an amazing price point for what you get. Combine the great print quality with any two of its standout features -- closed-loop calibration, sturdy construction, smartly designed software, broad media support, efficient ink life, archival print quality -- and you'd have a very good printer, indeed. But when you wrap them all up into the package that is the HP Photosmart Pro B9180, you have a great professional-quality photo printer that's priced around $1499.
Price$ 1,499.00 (AUD)
HP has supplemented the HP Photosmart Pro B9180 hardware with an excellent suite of printing and maintenance software tools. At the top of the list is a plug-in for printing directly from within Adobe Photoshop.
The plug-in offers a real-time preview of your image and lets you choose paper type, colour profile, print size, borderless options, and more from within a single window. This is the way photo printing should be, and it's a joy to use.
In addition to the plug-in, HP includes an application, HP Printer Utility, that is the dashboard for interacting with the HP Photosmart Pro B9180. The program includes realistic indicators of remaining ink capacity and useful help screens, as well as facilities for cleaning the printheads (which we never needed), printing test pages, and applying the closed-loop calibration test.
The HP Printer Utility also lets you install custom paper profiles directly into the HP Photosmart Pro B9180's driver. While being able to use custom colour profiles for a specific paper type is nothing new, HP takes most of the mystery out of it and makes it easy, letting you add your new profile directly to the paper-type menu.
There is also an application for printing photos, HP Photosmart Edit, but, given the HP Photosmart Pro B9180's target audience, we think most people will be using Photoshop or a similar program to print. One nice feature of HP Photosmart Edit, however, is for converting colour images to greyscale -- it offers a set of black-and-white transformations that mimic traditional camera filters. Photoshop's Channel Mixer has a much more sophisticated set of tools for this process, but we got good results with Photosmart Edit.
HP's manual is very instructive in helping you get the best out of the HP Photosmart Pro B9180, discussing profiles, print types, and how to use the print driver's built-in colour features as opposed to using Photoshop's colour features. Anyone new to pigment-ink printers or looking to expand their Photoshop printing knowledge will find the manual very helpful.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- HP offers US$1 billion for Samsung's printer business
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTIncident & Problem AnalystVIC
- FTSenior MS Dynamics CRM ConsultantSA
- CCPOS EngineerNSW
- CCBuild and Release ManagerNSW
- CCFront End Developer (UI) - 12 Month ContractNSW
- CCSAS DI DeveloperNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Engineer - Checkpoint, Firewalls, VPNNSW
- CCResident Operation Support Engineer (Renewable Contract)Asia
- FTUX Design LeadNSW
- CCContract IT Assistant (PC LAN Support) 161114/ITA/411Asia
- CCSenior Technical SpecialistVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Java/J2EE/MyEclipse) 161007/AP/vmpAsia
- FTJava Developer - Canberra RoleNSW
- CCTesting Capability LeadNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCWebpage Designer - Canberra RoleNSW
- CCTechnology Training ManagerNSW
- CCCloud Security Services SpecialistVIC
- CCDigital Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTProgram SchedulerNSW
- CCSenior Consultant, Enterpreneur in ResidenceVIC
- CCContract IT Assistant (Office Automation) 161031/ITA/541Asia
- CCDigital Producer - 3 Month Contract Immediate Start!NSW
- CCProject ManagerVIC
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (JAVA/Oracle) 161012/SSA/623Asia