HP w2558hc LCD monitor
The W2558hc LCD monitor performed well in our image-quality tests
- Displayed nice colours in tests, includes a built-in card reader
- Lacks a VGA connection
Given the HP W2558hc's wealth of extras, its excellent image quality, and its distinctive design, US$549 might be a good deal for this well-rounded monitor after all.
The HP W2558hc 25.5-inch widescreen LCD offers impressive image quality, a host of extra features, and a pleasant design. What's not to like? It's expensive.
The W2558hc performed well in our image-quality tests, presenting sharp, readable text on black and white backgrounds alike. Text was quite easy to read even at 6 points; we didn't have to strain to see the lettering.
Colors looked bright, particularly in a portrait. Skin tones appeared realistic, with even shading and the proper amount of contrast to give the image a pleasing feel. The display also handled our motion tests well, showing smooth video with no visible fluttering.
The unit's 25.5-inch size is unusual, but that allows it to have a 1920 by 1200 native resolution.
As for extras, the W2558hc has them in spades. A built-in Webcam resides at the center of the top bezel. On the left side of the display sits a card reader that accommodates all types of media cards. Two USB ports are also on the left. On the back, the W2558hc has two HDMI ports, DVI and VGA ports, USB-in and -out ports, and an audio-in jack.
Four inset buttons on the bottom-right lip of the bezel control the easy-to-navigate on-screen menus. Two additional buttons control the W2558hc's other unique feature: a built-in task light that shines from under the monitor down onto any papers or items you might have placed on the table. The W2558hc also doubles as a digital picture frame, as it can show photos stored on memory cards placed in the card reader.
All of those extra features are integrated well into the monitor's clean design, which sports HP's signature piano-black finish. The display is height-adjustable, too; a built-in lever allows you to make the adjustments. Though the W2558hc can tilt, it does not swivel.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 3 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 4 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 5 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
- Dell's monstrous 70-inch touchscreen monitor takes aim at Microsoft's Surface Hub
- Dell's 4-screen multimonitor setup looks like one enormous 43-inch display
- Foxconn to pay over $US6bn for a majority stake in Sharp
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- LG G6: unboxing, hands on review and detail shots
- And the 2017 winner of the Formula 1 Best Pit Lane Boom Gantry is...
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- FTJunior Applications SupportQLD
- FTInside Sales Consultants - SMSF SoftwareNSW
- FTICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSolution Architect - StorageVIC
- FTEAM Delivery Manager - SAPNSW
- FTSalesforce Marketing Cloud ConsultantVIC
- CCProcess Assurance LeadNSW
- CCDeployment GraduatesSA
- FTSolution Architect l MS Exchange, O365NSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst AgileQLD
- TPGIS Developer - 6 month ContractQLD
- CCBusiness Implementation Manager - Wealth AdviceNSW
- FTSenior C# Analyst Programmer, Product & MarketsNSW
- FTHead of ArchitectureNSW
- FTTechnical Consultant - ApplicationsSA
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - TelcoVIC
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- CCSenior C++ .Net DeveloperWA
- CCApplication Architect - CloudVIC
- FTICT Project ManagerNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!QLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTService Desk Operators (Part time and Full Time)SA
- FTPMO CoordinatorNSW