Hitachi TravelStar 5K500.B 2.5in internal hard drive
An energy efficient notebook drive that provides fast transfer speeds
- Energy efficient, fast
- Doesn't do much to distinguish itself from competitors' offerings
The Hitachi 5K500.B does consume less power, but other laptop HDD manufacturers have managed to achieve the same speeds today. So unless you need the power savings or BDE (bulk drive encryption — useful for organisations), this drive doesn’t distinguish itself from the others.
Price$ 109.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- 7790122 HEX Socket Head Cap Screw M4X2 Replacem... 79.99
Laptop computers needn’t have any less storage than desktops, and this 500 GB drive from Hitachi proves it. It has a standard 2.5-inch form factor and uses two platters, with a data density of 250 GB per platter. As is usual with most such HDDs, it features a buffer size of 8 MB and spins at 5400 RPM. The fact that it uses a standard SATA II interface, is small and does not generate heat also makes it a candidate for enthusiasts to use in a desktop. Hitachi claims the power usage is reduced to 0.5W during idle and 1.4W during read/write, as against other laptop HDDs that consume 0.85W and 2.85W respectively.
Synthetic benchmarks and real world tests were run using our testbench to eliminate bottlenecks. We measured a read speed average of 65.5 megabytes per second, and write speed average of 58 MBps, and never went below a minimum of 35 MBps. These numbers put this HDD about 6 MBps faster than the average. Real world file read/write speeds stood at 77.3 MBps for a single large file (6.42 GB), but fell to 66.4 MBps as expected when copying multiple smaller files (800 files totalling up to 6.36 GB). Transferring files from one partition to another on the same drive was at an average of 24 MBps. This means the drive’s real world read/write speeds are 10 MBps higher than the average, but moving files between partitions is slow by the same extent. Both read and write access times averaged at 18.4 ms which is slightly slower than the average of 17ms for most other such drives. Under normal operating conditions, the drive is inaudible unless you press your ear to it.
The Hitachi 5K500.B does consume less power, but other laptop HDD manufacturers have managed to achieve quite the same speeds today. So unless you need the power savings or BDE (bulk drive encryption — useful for organisations), this drive doesn’t distinguish itself from the others.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Hitachi Data Systems introduces HFS A series family
- Toshiba to cut 6800 jobs, focus on storage and energy
- WD ships world's first 10TB helium-filled hard drive
- Consumer SSDs and hard drive prices are nearing parity
- Lexar adds 128GB 2000x SDXC UHS-II card to Professional range
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCTeradata DeveloperNSW
- FTProject Support OfficerWA
- CCBusiness Analyst - QlikviewVIC
- FTOracle Middleware ConsultantNSW
- CCSharepoint AdministratorVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Online Gaming SystemsNSW
- CCSolution Architect - .NET environmentACT
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- CCRisk and Quality Assurance AnalystVIC
- FTSOE EngineerQLD
- CCIT Service Deliver & Improvement ManagerACT
- CCJava Development EngineerNSW
- CCRisk AnalystVIC
- FTInsight / Customer / modelling - Analyst (Data Scientist)NSW
- CCSenior Business AnalystACT
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- CCSenior Server EngineerNSW
- CCContract System Analyst (Network & System Mgt.) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCMaster SchedulerVIC
- CCSAP Business Intelligence SpecialistQLD
- CCPython Web Developer - DevOPS EnvironmentVIC