HP 2309m 23-inch LCD monitor
HP's latest 23-inch LCD monitor offers excellent image quality, but we aren't fond of its glossy screen and bezel
- Stylish design, Full HD resolution, HDMI input, excellent colour and clarity
- Glare due to glossy screen and bezel, awkward button placement, poor viewing angles
HP's 2309m LCD monitor is a Full HD screen with excellent image quality, but it is let down by its reflective screen and bezel.
Price$ 649.00 (AUD)
HP's 2309m 23in LCD monitor has a Full HD resolution, an HDMI connection and built-in speakers, making it ideal for use as a gaming display. Although this monitor offers good clarity and colours, excessive glare from the glossy screen and bezel detracts from the overall user experience.
The HP 2309m LCD monitor is simple but stylish. It has a rounded, glossy black bezel with silver edging and a curved silver base. HP claims the design of the base allows you to maximise desk space. The stand may be functional in this sense, but it’s a little restricted: the screen can only be tilted, not raised or swivelled.
The outer edge of the HP 2309m's bezel uses a matte black finish and the controls our housed in the bottom left corner. The button placement underneath the bezel is a little awkward and although the keys are clearly labelled, the text isn't backlit. Unfortunately, the bezel and the glossy surface of the display make reflections a problem. HP claims the use of BrightView technology reduces glare, but even after adjusting the myriad of settings available it was a huge problem in the office environment where we tested. For example, text on the edge of the screen in our DisplayMate tests reflected onto the edge of the bezel.
The HP 2309m LCD monitor has standard VGA and DVI inputs, as well as an HDMI input. Combined with the native Full HD resolution of 1920x1080, the HP 2309m is ideal for use with the latest high-definition gaming consoles, such as Microsoft's Xbox 360 and Sony's PlayStation 3. We connected the LCD monitor to both an Xbox 360 and a Blu-ray player, and the results were impressive. The 3ms response time means it isn't as quick as some monitors (most new LCD monitors have a 2ms response time) but the HP 2309m handles fast motion superbly, with no ghosting visible.
Image quality when using the DVI input is also impressive. The Desktop is sharp and striking and text has no visible aberrations. Colour reproduction is excellent: the bright, vivid colours aren't washed out and, unlike many competing LCD monitors such as the BenQ G2412HD, skin tones aren't over-saturated.
Unfortunately, the HP 2309m's viewing angles aren't great and the glossy display doesn't help. There is noticeable colour shift and a loss of detail when viewing the screen from horizontal or vertical angles (though the horizontal viewing angles are slightly better). The built-in speakers aren't the worst we've seen in a monitor, but any self-respecting gamer will use external speakers.
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Huawei Mate 9
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Surface Pro 4
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Judge paves the way for British hacker's extradition to US
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
- Early iPhone 7 reviews: You'll miss the headphone jack, but the camera and battery life are tops
- Toshiba's new SSD line features rock-bottom pricing
- Watch out: iOS 10 install is reportedly bricking some iPhones
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- CCDeployment EngineerSA
- FTSenior Software Engineer - JavaQLD
- FTOracle Forms PL/SQL Analyst ProgrammerQLD
- FTDevelopment Manager - SaaSQLD
- FTBid ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Web DeveloperNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- CCFront-End DeveloperQLD
- FTBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCSystems Engineer (Systems Architect/Designer)VIC
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperQLD
- CCWindows System EngineerNSW
- FTSenior IT Business Analyst - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTSenior Software EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- FTPMO Specialist - PermanentACT
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- CCScrum MasterQLD
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- TPMobile DeveloperWA
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW