HP 2509p LCD monitor
HP's 2509p offers reasonable image quality but is let down by a highly reflective screen
- Stylish design, excellent build quality, height-adjustable stand, good colour and motion performance
- Screen is highly reflective, bezel attracts fingerprints, struggles when displaying some greys
The HP 2509p is a decent panel with a stylish design, but the glossy screen is too reflective for constant use in an office environment.
A 25in LCD monitor with a stylish design, the HP 2509p's good looks come at the cost of efficiency. It provides reasonable image quality, but is let down by a highly reflective screen.
With its glossy black bezel and a recessed, matte black rim with silver edging, the HP 2509p LCD monitor looks impressive. Combined with the glossy silver stand, the HP 2509p can spice up a normally drab workstation.
Unfortunately, the HP 2509p's design is frustrating when it comes to actually using the monitor. The screen is glossy and highly reflective, making it difficult to use in an office environment. With a plain black Windows Desktop, we could easily employ the HP2509p as a mirror in our office, making it uncomfortable to use. The bezel also reflects light and attracts fingerprints.
The HP 2509p's large rear-mounted stand takes up a lot of space and is a little inconvenient when trying to connect cables. The single HDMI, VGA and DVI ports and two USB ports on the rear are a little tricky to access, especially if you have large hands. A further two USB ports are located on the monitor's left side.
The stand lets you swivel, tilt and adjust the height of the monitor. Build quality feels superb and HP includes a built-in webcam at the top of the bezel.
We aren't a fan of touch-sensitive controls on LCD monitors, but HP's implementation is among the best we've seen. The buttons at the bottom-right edge of the bezel only become visible when touched, but they are responsive and easy to understand. You can slide your finger along a small row of vertical lines to scroll through menu options on the on-screen display or adjust features like volume and brightness.
The HP 2509p's HDMI port and Full HD resolution of 1920x1080 makes it ideal for connecting to the latest games consoles, including the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3. We were impressed by HP 2509p's ability to handle fast motion and its range of colours. It didn't skip a beat when connected to our PS3 and the colours were bright, vivid and crystal clear. There are five preset colour modes, including a custom colour option that lets you tailor the display to your requirements.
We also tested the HP 2509p using DisplayMate and found it struggled to display greys at the lower end of the scale. Black levels are adequate, though, and colour is excellent. Like most TN (twisted nematic) panels, viewing angles aren't great, with noticeable vertical and horizontal colour shift.
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- 3 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 4 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 5 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Dell's luscious new 4K monitor is bold, bright, and HDR-infused
- Samsung's 49-inch mega-wide display may displace multi-monitor setups
- More high-end GPUs are now compatible with Dell's 8K monitor
- Dell's wild 8K monitor goes on sale with a just-as-stunning price tag
- LG's 4K HDR monitor gets a price and release date, heralding a new era for PC displays
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- HTC U Play phone: full, in-depth review
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTProduct Manager - Machine To MachineVIC
- CCProject Manager - DigitalisationQLD
- CCGIS DeveloperQLD
- FTData Entry Administrator - TelecommunicationsNSW
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsSA
- FTSecurity ConsultantVIC
- FTPHP Full Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTPHP / WordPress DeveloperQLD
- FTPre-Sales Solution Architect - Global Cloud OrganisationVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst | DETQLD
- FTSolution Architect - NetworksVIC
- TPLinux System AdministratorQLD
- TPProduct ManagerVIC
- FTiOS and Android DevelopersSA
- CCVMware AdministratorNSW
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- FTL&D Consultant, Wealth AdvisorNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperNSW
- CCFirewall EngineerNSW
- TPSenior Project Officer HSQQLD
- FTSecurity ConsultantACT
- FTHealthcare Application Integration SupportQLD
- TPPrincipal Project Officer - ReportingQLD
- FTSenior Sales Operations AnalystNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Audio Visual/Video DomainVIC