HP LaserJet P4015n
Big and fast
- Job storage functions, blisteringly fast, fantastic quality, embedded Web server
- Extremely noisy, bulky, convoluted onboard control panel, no auto duplex
Although it isn’t the prettiest printer about, the P4015N is certainly functional and will suit businesses in need of high volume printing.
Price$ 2,399.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- BA 4015 - A Planning Chart for the Atlantic Ocean 65.00
For a black and white laser printer, the LaserJet P4015N is big, ugly and expensive. However, HP isn't trying to compete against Canon's Laser Shot LBP 3100B and other lower-end mono lasers. The P4015N is designed for businesses that need to perform cheap, fast, good quality and high volume print jobs on a daily basis.
The P4015N's size is immediately striking — at 450mm deep, it certainly won't fit on shallower desks. The printer is also quite tall. The P4015N does manage to put some of its size to good use though. Its specialty print tray can hold up to 100 sheets of paper and the main paper tray offers 500-sheet capacity. The top output tray can also hold up to 500 sheets at a time, so printing off that debut novel while you're at work is slightly easier.
A key aspect of any business-bound laser printer is its running costs, and here the P4015N excels. Using HP's high-yield toner printouts cost an average 1.8c per page, which is cheaper than low-end mono lasers and makes the initial price point much easier to handle.
The P4015N can connect locally through USB 2.0 or over a network using its Ethernet port. There's no wireless option, but we're not surprised — despite it's proliferation in homes, Wi-Fi isn't as popular among businesses. Sadly, the P4015N lacks an automatic duplex unit, an important feature for any business.
Printer configuration is somewhat convoluted when using the onboard control panel, but all the same administration functions can be accessed through the printer's embedded Web server. Users can configure and maintain the printer's security settings, as well as configure the printer to periodically send status reports to a nominated email address.
There are several job storage functions available, so users can easily reprint documents without having to reinitiate the job from a computer. The P4015N's 'personal jobs' feature secures a job, making it available for print only once the right PIN is entered. Similar functionality can be seen in even basic multifunctions, but it's particularly well implemented here; it's an invaluable feature for a network printer.
Although the P4015N certainly isn't a quiet machine, it is definitely speedy. HP suggests the printer is capable of 50 pages per minute, but we managed to produce even faster speeds during our standardised testing. We averaged 54.5ppm over all four quality settings. The only problem we had is that the computer we used couldn't actually keep up with the printer, forcing the P4015N to pause every few pages. We only encountered this issue over USB 1.1, so it won't be a problem for those connecting over USB 2.0 or Ethernet.
HP offers four different quality settings — a 600dpi draft mode and three different 1200dpi modes, ranging from 132 lines per inch to 180lpi. The difference between the 1200dpi modes is clearly noticeable, with a document printed at 132lpi proving to be much bolder and less accurate than a document at 180lpi. However, at its best, the output was flawless. A text document printed at 1200dpi and 180lpi is among the most accurate we've seen.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- How 4D printing is now saving lives
- HP begins selling its Jet Fusion 3D printer; says it's 50% cheaper, 10X faster than others
- 3D printing industry to triple in four years to $21B
- Disney files patent for near instantaneous 3D printing
- Never run out of printer ink with HP Instant Ink
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCInteractional Designer-Adobe Creative Cloud, SketchNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- CCMS Dynamics CRM ConsultantVIC
- CCSecurity Administrative Support OfficerACT
- CCSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTTester/Business AnalystWA
- FTStorage SpecialistVIC
- CCService Provider Manager - DesktopVIC
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Contributions TaxNSW
- CCMessaging Engineer - BAU SupportNSW
- CCRelease Manager, SAPNSW
- CCData Migration Quality Manager- SAP ECCNSW
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Canberra | Major exciting White Paper projectsNSW
- FTData EngineersNSW
- CCAnalyst Programmer (J2EE/Oracle/SQL*PLUS) 160519/AP/432Asia
- CCIT Assistant (Lotus Notes/LAN/Anti-Virus) 160524/ITA/074Asia
- CCSAP Hanna ConsultantNSW
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCAWS Developer/LeadNSW
- CCFront end and Full Stack DevelopersNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst, ReportingNSW
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC
- CCDigital Business Analyst (iOS & Android / Web Projects)NSW
- FTNetwork SpecialistVIC