HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf multifunction laser printer
HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf review: If you're running a small business, a multifunction laser printer like the HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf could be your best buy in 2010
- Large input tray, useful high capacity ADF, good double-sided print quality and fast output speeds
- Low recommended monthly page volume, high initial price for monochrome printing
If you're looking to buy a laser printer for your small business, the HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf could be a simple solution that takes care of faxing, copying, scanning and regular black-and-white printing duties. It's a good printer for small or medium businesses that want to set the printer up and only perform maintenance tasks infrequently.
Price$ 599.00 (AUD)
The HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf is a multifunction monochrome laser printer with an inbuilt fax, scanner, copier and 35-sheet automatic document feeder. Its large input tray and high capacity regular toner cartridges makes it good for users that don't want to be constantly refilling paper or consumables. It has a low recommended monthly page volume, but unless you're running a paper-heavy medium business this shouldn't be a concern.
HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf: Specifications, set up and maintenance
At $599 the HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf is probably slightly more expensive than many small businesses would be willing to spend on a monochrome printer. It's got all the features most small and medium businesses would need though, with automatic document feeding for scanning, copying and faxing. Multi-computer offices are catered for with inbuilt Ethernet connectivity, but no Ethernet cable is included. USB 2.0 is also available for direct PC connection and a cable is bundled with the printer. We connected the HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf via USB 2.0 to a Apple Macbook Pro 15in notebook.
A large input tray capacity is an important consideration for business use, as it reduces potential lost print jobs as well as the amount of time spent refilling paper. The HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf's 250-sheet capacity impressed us, although the output tray can only handle a maximum of 100 sheets before problems occur.
The HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf is rated at up to 8000 pages per month, with a recommended volume of 500-2000 pages. Given a competing model like the Fuji Xerox Phaser 3160N can handle 15,000 pages per month, we were disappointed.
HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf: Print speed and quality
The HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf prints good quality documents, with impressively clean text and good gradation on graphics. We'd happily use this printer for long-term archival documents — all of our test prints were consistently clear and easy to read even with 6pt text. Obviously we wouldn't use it for printing photos, but for graphics and text it does an acceptable job.
Using Normal print quality settings we were able to print at just under 24 pages per minute during print runs of more than 50 pages. It generally takes less than 10 seconds to print the first page of a document.
HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf: Consumable costs
The HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf's single black CE278A toner cartridge is rated at 2100 pages, and costs $101.41. This translates into an ongoing cost of 4.8 cents per standard black A4 page, which is on par with competitors. We found the cartridge for $85.70 online, which drives the per-page cost down to just over four cents per page. It's important to note that the HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf only comes with a 'starter' cartridge, which has a lower capacity than one bought in a retail store.
HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf: Scanning, copying and other features
The HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf has an inbuilt flatbed scanner with a 600x600dpi resolution for documents. When scanning colour text and graphics it's able to interpolate up to 1200x1200dpi resolution. It's not an especially high quality scanner and isn't able to capture the same detail levels as a high-end model like the Canon PIXMA MG8150, but for digitising documents and presentations it does an acceptable job. It is also connected to the HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf's 35-sheet automatic document feeder — this makes it easy to scan in multi-page documents without having to stand at the printer constantly feeding in sheets. The HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf's 35-sheet ADF is superior to the 20- and 25-sheet ADFs that similarly priced competing multifunctions usually have.
HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf: Environmental policy and conclusion
HP runs a number of environmental initiatives including recycling of empty ink cartridges. The company's environmental policy claims that it aims to minimise its products' energy consumption to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, with yearly goals and updated progress reports.
The HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf is a well-rounded multifunction monochrome laser printer. Its initial price may be slightly higher than most small businesses would like to spend, but it has advantages when it comes to low maintenance requirements and features.
Become a fan of PC World Australia on Facebook
Follow PC World Australia on Twitter: @PCWorldAu
Stay up to date with the latest news, reviews and features. Sign up to PC World’s newsletters
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Huawei Mate 9
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® Portable SSD
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Samsung's UHD Monitor covers 99.5 per cent of Adobe colour spectrum
- HP settles cases with inkjet cartridge vendors
- Study predicts PS3 will win the console war
- Samsung wave makes a splash at Mobile World Congress
- Sony returns to profit, cuts full-year loss forecast
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProject Support SpecialistVIC
- CCSQL Database Administrator (DBA)NSW
- CCProcess Improvement Specialist - Six Sigma Black BeltVIC
- CCTest Planner - Infrastructure/Data CentreACT
- CCProject Manager - Telco Networks EngineeringVIC
- FTSenior Dot Net Backend Orientated DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior .NET DeveloperNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Financial applicationsVIC
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- FTJava Developer/IntegratorACT
- TPAgile Project Manager. Sharepoint / PeoplesoftNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- TPInsights ManagerWA
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- CCProject Manager TelecommunicationsQLD
- CCSQL Database AdministratorQLD
- TPBusiness Process Analyst (Newcaslte Based)NSW
- CCTechnical Consultant - ITSM/HP Service ManagerACT
- TPPerformance Test Analyst - Perth BasedQLD
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BQLD
- TPOrganisational Change ManagerQLD
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- CCStorage System EngineerNSW