Huawei Ascend D Quad XL Android phone (preview)
Huawei's Ascend D Quad XL aims for 2-3 days of battery life
- Large 2500mAh battery
- Quad-core processor
- IPS HD display
- Large battery adds thickness
- No Australian release date
Huawei's Ascend D Quad XL promises up to three days of battery life thanks to a huge 2500mAh battery. We'll be keen to put these figures to the test if or when it eventually makes its way to Australia.
Modern day smartphones pack plenty of technology into a small package, which is why most of them struggle to last a full day before needing a recharge. Huawei is aiming to change that with the Ascend D Quad XL, an Android phone that promises up to three days of battery life.
The key feature of the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL is obviously its huge 2500mAh battery. This is significantly larger than most other smartphone batteries on the market including the popular Samsung Galaxy S III (2100mAh).
A 400mAh difference doesn't sound like much between these smartphones, but Huawei says the inclusion of proprietary energy management software on the Ascend D Quad XL is the key to its longer life. We're not sure how accurate Huawei's three day figures are (we'd honestly be surprised if the battery lasted more than a full day), but it would be a hugely impressive feat if it worked as advertised.
Aside from its large battery, the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL boasts pretty impressive specifications. It is powered by the company's in-house developed processor, the 1.5GHz quad-core K3 V2 chip, and has a 4.5in screen with a 720p HD resolution. The larger battery means the Ascend D Quad XL (10.9mm) is slightly thicker than the very similar Ascend D Quad (8.9mm). It's also a little heavier at 150g.
The Ascend D Quad XL's IPS+ display has a pixels per inch (ppi) rating of 326ppi, equal with the iPhone 4S (326ppi) and ahead of both the Samsung Galaxy S III (306ppi) and the HTC One X (312ppi). This impressive ppi figure means the Ascend D Quad XL should display a very high level of detail that will make individual pixels on the screen hard to distinguish.
Other features of the Huawei Ascend D Quad XL include an 8-megapixel rear camera that doubles as a full HD 1080p video recorder and a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera that can record 720p HD video. There's only 8GB of internal memory but a microSD card slot means this can be expanded.
Huawei hasn't yet revealed whether the Ascend D Quad XL will be released in Australia.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMware - CanberraACT
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- FTApplication Support ManagerNSW
- CCSolution Architect - Data MigrationVIC
- CCDB2 Database AdministratorACT
- CCPMO AnalystNSW
- CCMessaging Services Systems AdministratorACT
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - Active DirectoryVIC
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCChange ManagerNSW
- CCBI-Business Intelligence Technical LeadNSW
- CCData Analyst - multiples roles - EAM experience requiredNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/MySQL) 160823/AP/172Asia
- FTProject Administrator (Agile)WA
- CCProject Manager- Radio CommunicationsVIC
- CCData Centre Solutions Architect - Red Hat, Wintel & VMwareACT
- FTDigital Product Owner | Advertising Technology | SearchNSW
- CCSenior Java DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst- BABOK,Infrastructure, Banking bkgndNSW
- CCDesktop Support EngineerNSW
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 160901/AP/781Asia
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW