- • • •
Way too expensive. They plan to release it at 399 euros in Europe for the 3G versions.
If they can't get it down to $300AUD then I wont be interested.
Huawei MediaPad Android tablet (preview)
Huawei MediaPad preview: The first 7in Android tablet to run Google's Honeycomb platform
- Android 3.2 Honeycomb
- 3G connectivity
- HDMI port
- No RAM details revealed
- No Australian release date
The Huawei MediaPad breaks the trend of larger tablets by opting for a smaller 7in screen. The MediaPad is the world's first Android tablet running the 3.2 Honeycomb version of Google's Android platform.
Buy now (Selling at 2 stores)
- Mediapad M1(genuine Uk Stock) 8-inch Uk 4g Tabl... 582.77
- Mediapad X1 7.0 4g Lte 16gb Hisilicon 16 Gb 204... 944.25
Huawei has unveiled the world's first Android tablet running the 3.2 Honeycomb version of Google's Android platform, the 7in MediaPad.
Read our guide to the best upcoming tablets in 2011.
Sporting a dual-core 1.2GHz processor, a 5-megapixel camera that doubles as full HD 1080p video recorder, and a HDMI port, Huawei claims the MediaPad is a "stylish, high-performing and ultra-portable package." Curiously, it offers both 3G and Wi-Fi connectivity, so it's likely to be sold through carriers when it launches in Australia.
Although Huawei seems to be making plenty of noise about the MediaPad's 3.2 Android Honeycomb OS, it is essentially the same software powering the current range of Android Honeycomb tablets. The main difference centres around the ability to run on a range of display sizes, including the smaller 7in size of the MediaPad. Other new features are merely bug fixes, better hardware acceleration, and software updates for the Movie Studio, Movies, and Music apps, along with enhancements to Android's live widgets.
The Huawei MediaPad has six hours of battery life, which is comparable to HTC's 7in Flyer tablet but still well below the market leader, Apple's iPad 2. The MediaPad also has a front-facing 1.3-megapixel camera for video calls, 8GB of internal storage and comes pre-loaded with Facebook, Twitter, and Documents To Go apps. Strangely, Huawei hasn't revealed the MediaPad's RAM specifications.
Huawei also bundles the MediaPad with its Hi-Space cloud solution, which is described as a cloud computing solution that has its own apps store. Details are sparse on this, but we suspect Huawei will offer a cloud storage solution similar to the popular Dropbox service.
Huawei has not announced an Australian release date or pricing for the MediaPad, but it's expected to launch locally in the coming months.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- North Korea reportedly blocks Facebook and Twitter
- FCC eyes new rules to protect consumers as voice networks transition to IP
- Startup Slack gets $120M infusion to kill email at work
- Aldi's $279 Bauhn Sphere review: Disappointing
- Oracle's Larry Ellison isn't done building his legacy
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital PR SpecialistNSW
- FTMarketing Solutions ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTStudio Design ManagerVIC
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTChief Information Officer - CSIROACT
- CCStrategic Partner ManagerNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- CCWeb / Mobile Developer - Magento - HTML5, CSS - Excellent CMS SkillsNSW