Imation 2-in-1 Micro USB Flash drive for Android
Use Imation's 2-in-1 drive to quickly and easily transfer data to and from your smartphone and a computer
- Easy way to transfer data to and from a computer and an Android device
- A neat external drive solution for a mobile Android 4.1 device
- Can't plug into phones with thick cases
- No external cap for the micro-USB plug
Imation's 2-in-1 Micro USB Flash drive for Android is a good product for transferring files between a phone and a computer. It works as intended, without hassle, and it's especially useful for those of you with devices that don't have microSD slots. Think of it as an external storage drive for your phone or tablet that you can use while you're on-the-go.
Price$ 29.95 (AUD)
Imation's 2-in-1 Micro USB Flash drive for Android may not be the most imaginatively named product of 2013, but it's definitely an interesting product, and one that's bound to appeal to data-swapping Android users who swing recent smartphones or tablets. It's a USB stick that has both regular USB and micro-USB ends, which means you can plug it into a PC, or directly into an Android device. Why? So you can quickly transfer stuff without having to use a cable or a cloud service.
The drive is available in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB capacities, and it's a useful product for those of you who might have an Android phone or tablet that can't accept extra storage in the form of a microSD card — or simply for those of you who want to take more stuff with your than your microSD card can handle. However, it won't work on all Android smartphones; your phone needs to run Android 4.1 or higher, and it has to support USB on-the-go. If it does, then all you will need to use the Imation 2-in-1 is a file manager app.
There are no cables to deal with, and an extra power source isn't required. When you plug the Imation drive into your phone, it will be detected as a USB storage device, and you'll be able to use your favourite file manager app to access the files that are on it — and also to transfer files off the phone if you need to reclaim some internal storage space. We used an app called My Files (version 1.0) to browse the USB drive and play files off it, but Imation suggests ES File Explorer, which is a more comprehensive manager.
The drive worked perfectly for us in our file transfer tests using a Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone, recording a rate of 3.17 megabytes per second (MBps) when we copied 698MB worth of photos from the phone to the USB drive. Movies and music also played off the drive without any issues, though if you want to watch movies stored on the drive, you will have to make sure that a capable video player app is also installed on your phone. When transferring photos from the Imation drive to a PC (one equipped with a fast SSD drive), we recorded a rate of 18.5MBps.
Physically, the drive is reasonably solid, and it's very simple in its design. The micro-USB plug is attached to the drive by a sliding hinge that allows the USB drive to swivel. The micro-USB plug acts as a cover for the regular USB plug. You will need to pull it out and then swivel the drive in order to be able to plug it into a PC. We should point out that you can't use both ends at the same time.
The micro-USB plug and the regular-sized USB plug are not joined together when both ends of the drive are open. You can't simply plug one end into your phone and the other into your PC — data won't pass through from one end to the other. In fact, if you plug the drive into your phone while the regular-sized USB plug is showing, it won't be detected by the phone. The memory sits in the portion where the regular-sized USB plug resides, the regular-sized USB plug has to be capped by the micro-USB plug in order to be recognised by the phone.
If all that sounds confusing, don't worry, it's not. Just look at the photos below for the do's and don'ts.
Unfortunately, the drive doesn't ship with a proper cap for the micro-USB plug. Instead, it has a built-in cap that slides over it, but it's very easily knocked out of position, which can leave the micro-USB end unknowingly exposed. If you have a relatively thick case installed on your phone, you may not be able to plug in the Imation drive until you take the phone out of its case.
Pricing starts at $29.95 for the 16GB version; the 32GB version is $49.95, and the 64GB version is $79.95. it can be purchased from Officeworks and other major retailers.
Imation stated that it's currently working on 2-in-1 drives for Apple devices.
Is my phone or tablet compatible with the Imation 2-in-1 Micro USB Flash drive for Android? Find out here
Join the PC World newsletter!
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Huawei Mate 9
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Acer Swift 7
Surface Pro 4
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
- Google Earth VR lets you explore our beautiful planet on the HTC Vive
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCCloud Solution Architect - Financial Services - Continuous IntegrationNSW
- CCLevel 2 IT Service DeskQLD
- TPSenior Applications Support OfficerQLD
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- CCSecurity AnalystACT
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)WA
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)VIC
- TPService Desk Analyst - Level 1VIC
- CCAgile CoachNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - Technical BackgroundQLD
- TPLinux Desktop Support SpecialistWA
- TPProject Technical LeadQLD
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- TPIT Project Officer - TMRQLD
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- FTProject ManagerNSW
- FTTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSupport Analyst / Production Support - InformaticaNSW
- FTIt Security and process analystNSW
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Sales & Marketing Modules)NSW
- CCContract - System Access Administrator - major Telco in MelbourneVIC
- CCTechnical Business Analyst - Infrastructure - VirtualizationNSW
- FTSalesforce AdministratorQLD