Iomega External Hard Drive 120GB
- Solid enclosure, fast transfer rate
- Not the cheapest 120 GB external hard drive available
An easy-to-use and durable portable external storage solution.
Price$ 259.00 (AUD)
Recognising the need for ever more storage in PCs, Iomega has released a series of external USB 2.0 hard drives, ranging in size from 60GB to 400GB. We tested the 120GB version on a machine running Windows XP, although the drive also works with other operating systems, including Mac OS and Linux.
The 120GB version comes in a heavy duty, matte-finished metal case weighing in at 1.1kg.
Connecting the hard drive is as easy as plugging in the mains power cable and hooking it up to a free USB port. This drive is compatible with both USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports, although for moving large amounts of data, a computer that supports USB 2.0 is recommended.
The theoretical burst speed of USB 2.0 is 480Mbps, although USB 2.0 devices are rarely able to sustain this speed. Through a series of large file transfer tests, we concluded that this drive is capable of a respectable sustained transfer rate of 23MB per second.
Iomega's Automatic Backup software, Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 and Musicmatch Jukebox are included with the drive. The backup software, in particular, is quite handy.
Iomega's hard drive range is well worth looking into. The price is reasonable, and for people not technically inclined, this drive provides an easy to use, plug'n'play interface.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- 2 Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- 3 LG G6 phone: full, in-depth review
- 4 Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 phone: Full, in-depth review
- 5 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
Latest News Articles
- Prices of SSDs and DRAM will crash in 2019, Gartner predicts
- Pure adds more NVMe with an eye to the next storage speed bump
- What one company learned from testing Intel's superfast Optane SSDs
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- Samsung Galaxy S8 phone: full, in-depth review
- Ryzen 5 vs Intel Core i5 CPU Australian review
- Mass Effect Andromeda review: One for the fans
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTHelpdesk AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack Software DeveloperQLD
- FTICT Sales Account ManagerQLD
- FTSystem Administrator App-VACT
- CCSenior Project CoordinatorNSW
- CCSenior Full-Stack Developer (Digital Transformation Project)QLD
- CCTelecommunication Business SpecialistVIC
- CCBusiness Specialist - Data ManagementNSW
- CCBusiness Implementation Manager - Wealth AdviceNSW
- FTChief Architect - Public SectorACT
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystWA
- TPIT Infrastructure Software Licence SpecialistNSW
- FTSenior Data ConsultantWA
- TPTest and Support AnalystQLD
- FTWindows EngineerWA
- FTNetwork EngineerSA
- TPOffice 365 Deployment SupportQLD
- CCSenior Devops EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Test Analyst x2QLD
- FTMid-Level .NET DeveloperVIC
- CC.Net DeveloperQLD
- FTHelp Desk/ Desktop SupportSA
- CCSAP CRM Functional AnalystNSW
- FTSenior MS Server Administrator with HyperVNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst - BI, Analytics & Big DataNSW