Iomega External Hard Drive 120GB
- Solid enclosure, fast transfer rate
- Not the cheapest 120 GB external hard drive available
An easy-to-use and durable portable external storage solution.
Price$ 259.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 2 stores)
Recognising the need for ever more storage in PCs, Iomega has released a series of external USB 2.0 hard drives, ranging in size from 60GB to 400GB. We tested the 120GB version on a machine running Windows XP, although the drive also works with other operating systems, including Mac OS and Linux.
The 120GB version comes in a heavy duty, matte-finished metal case weighing in at 1.1kg.
Connecting the hard drive is as easy as plugging in the mains power cable and hooking it up to a free USB port. This drive is compatible with both USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports, although for moving large amounts of data, a computer that supports USB 2.0 is recommended.
The theoretical burst speed of USB 2.0 is 480Mbps, although USB 2.0 devices are rarely able to sustain this speed. Through a series of large file transfer tests, we concluded that this drive is capable of a respectable sustained transfer rate of 23MB per second.
Iomega's Automatic Backup software, Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 and Musicmatch Jukebox are included with the drive. The backup software, in particular, is quite handy.
Iomega's hard drive range is well worth looking into. The price is reasonable, and for people not technically inclined, this drive provides an easy to use, plug'n'play interface.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Intel, Samsung launch their fastest SSDs with up to 5Gbps speeds
- Samsung's 950 Pro SSD marries V-NAND and NVMe for ludicrously fast speeds
- Seagate breaks through the 1TB-per-platter barrier for laptop drives
- U2 tours with all-flash array to rock latest video effects
- Samsung releases world's first 2TB consumer SSDs
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC