Iomega Network Hard Drive 160GB
- Easy to install and use
- Lacks security features, poor performance
Though it's slim on security features and none too quick, this portable drive can connect to your network or directly to your PC.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Designed for personal use, the compact Iomega Network Hard Drive offers simple setup, backup utilities and the ability to connect directly to PCs via their Ethernet ports. Because of this direct-to-PC capability, you can take this drive along when you travel, in addition to using it as part of your network back at home base.
The Network Hard Drive lacks folder security features: as it is, anyone with access to the drive can read anything on it. However, the unit is a snap to install and use--it showed up in My Network Places even before we ran the included Discovery utility.
An excellent selection of consumer software is bundled with it: Adobe Photoshop Album, Musicmatch and Iomega Automatic Backup. These three applications neatly epitomise the reasons most home users will be interested in this device.
Iomega Automatic Backup in particular is easy to use. You simply select the files you want to back up, choose a schedule and destination drive (the Network Hard Drive) and you're done. Restoring data is equally quick: you just drag and drop the desired files back to your hard disk.
The main weakness of the Network Hard Drive was its performance; it was among the slowest storage appliances we have tested. If you are only copying a file or two here and there and backing up at night, performance shouldn't be an issue. If you regularly copy large amounts of data, however, you'd be better off with a faster drive.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
- Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive
- Review: ADATA’s waterproof SSD is small, rugged -- and pricey
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- More than 840,000 Cisco devices are vulnerable to NSA-related exploit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTTest Manager (HP Quality Centre / ARIBA)NSW
- CCWeb DeveloperNSW
- CCSharePoint / Office365 DeveloperWA
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Margin ProjectsNSW
- CCFront End Developer - Mid LevelNSW
- FTMid Level Web DeveloperNSW
- TPProject Manager - ApplicationsQLD
- FTWebSphere MQ Application SupportVIC
- FTSolution ArchitectACT
- CCStrategy AnalystVIC
- FTSupport LeadNSW
- FTMid Level Full Stack DeveloperNSW
- CCData ScientistVIC
- FTSolution Architect with end user computing (EUC) experienceNSW
- CCBI Program Director/ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Systems Engineer - Defence - NV1SA
- CCSenior Digital BA (iOS / Android)NSW
- FTSolution Architect - Application/IntegrationVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst/Systems Analyst (DW/BI)ACT
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- FTDelivery LeadNSW
- CCHuman Sciences Professional - DefenceVIC
- FTMULTIPLE PERM PROJECT MANAGERSACT