Iomega Network Hard Drive 160GB
- Easy to install and use
- Lacks security features, poor performance
Though it's slim on security features and none too quick, this portable drive can connect to your network or directly to your PC.
Price$ 449.00 (AUD)
Designed for personal use, the compact Iomega Network Hard Drive offers simple setup, backup utilities and the ability to connect directly to PCs via their Ethernet ports. Because of this direct-to-PC capability, you can take this drive along when you travel, in addition to using it as part of your network back at home base.
The Network Hard Drive lacks folder security features: as it is, anyone with access to the drive can read anything on it. However, the unit is a snap to install and use--it showed up in My Network Places even before we ran the included Discovery utility.
An excellent selection of consumer software is bundled with it: Adobe Photoshop Album, Musicmatch and Iomega Automatic Backup. These three applications neatly epitomise the reasons most home users will be interested in this device.
Iomega Automatic Backup in particular is easy to use. You simply select the files you want to back up, choose a schedule and destination drive (the Network Hard Drive) and you're done. Restoring data is equally quick: you just drag and drop the desired files back to your hard disk.
The main weakness of the Network Hard Drive was its performance; it was among the slowest storage appliances we have tested. If you are only copying a file or two here and there and backing up at night, performance shouldn't be an issue. If you regularly copy large amounts of data, however, you'd be better off with a faster drive.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCMultiple .Net DevelopersNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - NV1VIC
- CCTechnology Lead / Senior Developer - Java (Urgent)NSW
- CCSolution ArchitectNSW
- CCSenior Systems AnalystSA
- FTSenior Systems EngineerACT
- CCSr. Windows Server Administrator- Financial Institution BckgNSW
- CCSystem AdmimistratorQLD
- FTSOA Tech LeadNSW
- FTSenior Developer (.Net)SA
- CCCloud Service Solution LeadVIC
- CCOracle DBA | 3-6mth ContractVIC
- FT.NET Developer (Angular JS/ SQL)WA
- CCIT Security Consultant -NSW
- CCMS SCOM AdministratorVIC
- FTSOE SpecialistACT
- CCSystems Engineer - Wintel, VMWare and CitrixNSW
- FTFunctional Business Analyst Dynamic AXNSW
- FTPeopleSoft Finance Functional ConsultantNSW
- FTQuality ManagerACT
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCSolution ArchitectQLD
- CCSecurity Consultant - Telecommunications and NetworksSA
- FTSenior Network Engineer - Australian Systems Integrator - Immediate interviewNSW
- CCProgram Communications SpecialistVIC