Iomega StorCenter 500GB
- Diverse range of functions, Simplicity
- Relatively slow over 10/100 network
While the lack of sophistication might not appeal to high-end network administrators, it has direct appeal to people who have smaller networks, but still require network sharing or backup facilities.
Price$ 849.00 (AUD)
For small businesses, or those of us with home networks that are almost as heavily used, network sharing is an all-too-real necessity. The StorCenter from Iomega gives you quick and easy control over 500GB of network storage space, as well as some other useful functions, though you're paying a premium of up to $300 over a plain 500GB external drive for these network utilities.
The two installed 250GB drives come defaulted in a RAID 0 (striping) array for greater speed, but can also be set to RAID 1 (mirroring) and JBOD (just a bunch of disks) depending on your requirements. Although it only managed to transfer at 5MB over a 10/100 network, around half the speed of other devices we looked at recently, it's capable of handling a gigabit connection on which greater speeds would be achievable. What makes this unit worth a look is the diversity of functions and the simplicity with which everything can be set-up. Designed to attach to a router or hub, the StorCenter is accessed from each workstation by installing the included "Discovery" software, which automatically detects the drive and assigns it a drive letter. The StorCenter can act as network printer server, FTP server, or even as a media server, streaming photos, music or movies to your TV via a digital media adapter (DMA). Using the "Discovery" interface, it's a quick step to create a share folder with permissions and allocate storage to users. The Iomega Automatic Backup will not only create a system recovery backup, which can be automated or scheduled, but will also perform backups of selected data and automatically add updates or additions to the backup as time goes on, a handy tool.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- New, colourful LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt USB-C was designed by Neil Poulton
- Western Digital begins production of the world's tallest 3D NAND 'skyscraper'
- WD will make a record-breaking 14TB hard drive available next year
- Start hoarding SSDs: Prices are expected to spike as supply gets tight
- Intel's silence on Optane SSDs raises questions about launch and focus
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPService Desk AnalystVIC
- CCUAT Test CoordinatorQLD
- CCData AnalystNSW
- TPDevOps ManagerVIC
- CCOrganisational Change Analyst - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCTest LeadQLD
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTFull Stack DeveloperWA
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCChange & Deployment ManagerVIC
- TPAgile Implementation LeadNSW
- FTSystem Support ConsultantNSW
- TPSAP Finance LeadQLD
- CCJava/ Guidewire DeveloperQLD
- CCJava DeveloperVIC
- TPTechnical ManagerNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - HealthQLD
- CCPMO Analyst - Financial ServicesNSW
- CCAutomation Test AnalystQLD
- FTL1 Application SupportWA
- FTData Analyst LeadSA
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)NSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Team LeadQLD
- TPSoftware EngineerWA