Ipswitch Whats Up Professional 2006
- Mapping capabilities, Email and pager admin alarms, Secure remote access
- Difficult to grasp, Complex
Smaller networks will find this program extremely useful, but many will be frustrated by its challenging operation and user interface.
Price$ 2,607.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 4 stores)
Given the complexity of modern operating systems, it can be challenging to monitor and manage a single computer, let alone a network full of them. That's why network managers need software to help - such as WhatsUp Professional.
Ipswitch's product monitors devices and services on your network and notifies you of any problems that may occur during their usage. New to this version is a relational database for large networks, improved mapping capabilities and an overhauled interface. This has made it easier to navigate, but it still presents a rather daunting challenge to the novice. In fact, we spent plenty of time working how to utlise basic functions of the program, so it's best left to network professionals to deal with.
As you would expect, WhatsUp offers email and pager admin alarms for when a problem crops up. It also provides useful security functions - you can scan for active network services such as FTP, which helps you to detect unauthorised services, spyware and worms. This feature is extremely important for networks and will go a long way to minimising potential damage.
Actions can be set centrally via a global policy, which is a timesaver if you have a lot of devices to manage. The product also offers secure remote access via SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption.
WhatsUp hoovers up boatloads of data from your network devices, but by itself this isn't very useful. What saves you from drowning in a sea of numbers is its top-notch reporting and analysis. This version includes enhanced statistical and performance measurement and an increased number of standard reports, such as bandwidth monitoring.
This is a comprehensive management tool that we'd recommend for smaller networks. And with prices not much over a tenner per seat, it's not that dear, either. Just don't expect it to be user friendly though - but then again, these types of programs never are.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Motorola Moto X Style review: A no compromise flagship
- 2 Oppo R7 Plus review: a stellar sub-$600 phablet
- 3 Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (9.7) 4G review: Samsung does a lot more with a lot less
- 4 Motorola Moto G (3rd gen) review: Is it worth an extra $100?
- 5 Jawbone UP3 review: 3 months with Jawbone's best fitness tracker
Deals on PC World
- Networking, Wireless & VoIP
Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Windows 10 growth slows, but breaks 100M device mark
- Google Photos’ big, helpful Android update goes live
- Microsoft’s Sydney store will open its doors on 12 November
- Tim Cook on Apple and Microsoft partnership: 'It's what customers want'
- Microsoft's Office 2016 intro guides are here, a week late and short on useful details
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDatabase Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTManual Test Engineer | Financial Institution | Web testingNSW
- FTMid level IT consultant | Systems Integration & Managed ServicesNSW
- FTAccount Manager | Music IndustryNSW
- FTLinux Administrator with AWS & DevopsNSW
- FTBusiness Development & Account ManagementNSW
- CCMilitary simulation programmer with C# and Unity - 3 monthsNSW
- FTField EngineerNSW
- FTSales SpecialistNSW
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web Application DeveloperNSW
- FTLevel 2 IT Support TechnicianVIC
- FTProduct Marketing ManagerNSW
- FT1st & 2nd level IT support all-rounder in beautiful rural BathurstNSW
- FTSystems Administrator - Managed ServicesNSW
- FTSenior Account Manager - PR AgencyNSW
- FTAndroid DeveloperNSW
- FTSystems Administrator | National commercial law firm | MS, AWS & eDiscoveryNSW
- FTSenior Consultant | Project work | National Systems IntegratorVIC
- FTAccount Manager | Client Side - Previous Agency Experience Welcome!!NSW