Readiris Pro 12
Readiris Pro 12 offers several compelling reasons to upgrade from your basic, free OCR software.
- Quick to install, quite versatile
- Intricate source material caused problems, can struggle with certain letters
Provided you don't hand it complex documents with masses of headings, subtitles, you can expect very good results from Readiris Pro 12. The software is quite versatile and should prove a sound addition to the typical office or home. At around US$100 for an upgrade version, it's well worth the money for anyone with an older version of the software. The full package isn't cheap though, and if you're a home user just looking for higher accuracy, you may find the cheaper Home edition more attractive.
Price$ 129.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
- Tom Brady NFL 12 inch Pro-bot Series 1 221.99
The information box (which uses several different fonts in a small space) was fairly unsuccessful, and even splitting this into a number of separate windows failed to result in accurate reproduction of many of the lines. Large headings, in general, are a problem, with many words frequently misspelled.
Readiris Pro 12 can struggle with certain letters (a lower-case 'l' was often converted into L, even when in the middle of a word, while the letter 'j' could also cause problems), and numbers were occasionally incorrect. And in a science article, 10 to the power of 11 was turned into 1011.
Readiris also sometimes struggles with justified margins, and there would often be large gaps at the ends of lines that weren't found in the original documents. Most of these points, though, are a touch finnicky, and the software can be trained to cut out certain types of mistake. But compared to older OCR packages, Readiris Pro 12 has very good accuracy, particularly if you're using it with fairly straightforward documents. It can also handle over 120 languages, and certainly the French and German articles that we scanned seemed accurately reproduced.
We can see Readiris Pro 12 proving rather effective for transforming letters, bills and so on into an electronic form. You can convert to a number of different formats, and it took less than 3 seconds to turn a scanned bill into a searchable Adobe Acrobat file. Business users will also appreciate the useful Cardiris program, a very effective method of transferring business cards to a PC.
Readiris Pro 12 also has facilities for using compressed PDF files. These features are mostly restricted to the Corporate version of Readiris, although you can use the most basic form of iHQC (intelligent High Quality Compression). In testing, this let us cut the size of our searchable PDFs to just 20-25 percent of the original.
The resulting file is lighter and the letters are less well defined, though, so if you'll be intending to read or use the files for presentations, we certainly wouldn't recommend using this kind of compression. XPS files can also be used to save storage space although, again, there is some reduction in quality.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- Dell's OS10 aims to open up networks, then whole datacentres
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- CCProject AdvisorNSW
- CCOracle Business Analyst / TrainerSA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- CCJava Development Contract - MelbourneVIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Oracle/UNIX) 160203/AP/381Asia
- FTLinux AdministratorVIC
- FTJava Web Development OpportunityVIC
- FTChange LeadNSW
- CC.NET DeveloperACT
- CCTibco DeveloperNSW
- FTWeb Programmer/ DeveloperVIC
- CCData AnalystNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- FTSenior Front End Developer Required Working World Leading Digital TeamVIC
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- FTSenior Oracle DBANSW
- CCProject Manager, Network, FinanceNSW
- FTChange & Communications OfficerQLD
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Mobile Developer - IOSNSW
- CCEnterprise ArchitectNSW
- CCData Stage DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- CCProgram Master SchedulerNSW