iZotope iDrum: Ministry of Sound Anthems Edition
Music production on the go.
- Fantastic interface, minimal learning curve, comprehensive sample library
- Ring tone conversion requires PC connection
iDrum: Ministry of Sound Anthems Edition is a great addition to the App Store, and one that proves to be a fun experience for musicians and the tone-deaf alike.
Price$ 7.99 (AUD)
A third version of iZotope's popular iDrum virtual instrument application has been released for the iPhone, in the form of a Ministry of Sound Anthems edition. Little has changed at the core of the application, but the addition of new samples, loops and material from Ministry of Sound makes iDrum even more fun than before.
iDrum is GarageBand for your pocket. A virtual instrument suite available in both desktop and iPhone form, iDrum is a comprehensive music-making application that uses a drum-pad interface to create and modify tracks.
The interface is key to iDrum's simplicity and ease of use. Once a pre-recorded track is selected, users get a bird's eye view of the song's different parts and individual tracks, separated into bars. Picking an individual bar zooms into a closer view of each track's properties, and zooming in again allows users to modify each individual track. Adding a beat, sound or loop is then simple: click on one of 16 possible positions, each representing a 16th beat of a bar.
Volume can be adjusted for each instrument or for an instrument's individual beats, harnessing the iPhone's touch screen to drag and modify volume settings. You can also pan track audio to the left or right channel and adjusting tempo.
Although users must start with a pre-recorded track, each instrument and its properties can be modified to suit individual tastes, with up to 660 different samples to choose from. iDrum won't automatically make you the best music producer overnight, but the application has an extremely low learning curve thanks to its simple interface. Though the more musically inept may have a hard time grasping the concept of timing and tone variation, the application does make it easier to understand these ideas.
There is little to dislike about iDrum, though there are some limitations. While the ability to make ring tones from tracks is certainly commendable, there is no way to add the ring tones to the iPhone without using a PC or Mac.
iDrum: Ministry of Sound Anthems Edition suffers a slight price hike over its two older counterparts, the Hip Hop and Club editions, probably as a result of licensing agreements with Ministry of Sound. Nevertheless, $7.99 is still a reasonable asking price for the app, and it is certainly well worth the money even if you aren't the next Timbaland.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Lenovo to integrate Amazon Alexa in Moto smartphones
- Google will start adding Assistant to Nougat and Marshmallow phones this week
- Google's new AI aims to end abusive online comments using 'Perspective'
- Village Roadshow aims to block 40 pirate sites
- Analysts peer into Microsoft's rumored Windows 10 Cloud
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTMicrosoft ProgrammerSA
- TPLead Change Manager - ERPVIC
- CCUser Experience Designer - Part time - Short contractACT
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- CCERP Business Analyst (Time Capture/ Management) - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- FTMid-Level Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT
- CCSAP/ Nakisa Implementation ConsultantQLD
- TPSenior Analyst Programmer - ContractQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Financial ServicesVIC
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- CCTest AnalystWA
- TPCrystal Reports DeveloperSA
- CCWicked Front-End DeveloperVIC
- FTClient Delivery ManagerSA
- FTSenior Project Manager - Permanent OpportunityNSW
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- TPMaster SchedulerNSW
- TPSenior Test AnalystQLD
- CCFinance Analyst/ Project SpecialistVIC
- CCADABAS Natural DeveloperNSW
- FTSystem AdministratorNSW
- TPProject Support OfficerQLD
- FTSenior Systems AdministratorWA
- TPTechnical Business Analyst - DigitalQLD