iZotope iDrum: Ministry of Sound Anthems Edition
Music production on the go.
- Fantastic interface, minimal learning curve, comprehensive sample library
- Ring tone conversion requires PC connection
iDrum: Ministry of Sound Anthems Edition is a great addition to the App Store, and one that proves to be a fun experience for musicians and the tone-deaf alike.
Price$ 7.99 (AUD)
A third version of iZotope's popular iDrum virtual instrument application has been released for the iPhone, in the form of a Ministry of Sound Anthems edition. Little has changed at the core of the application, but the addition of new samples, loops and material from Ministry of Sound makes iDrum even more fun than before.
iDrum is GarageBand for your pocket. A virtual instrument suite available in both desktop and iPhone form, iDrum is a comprehensive music-making application that uses a drum-pad interface to create and modify tracks.
The interface is key to iDrum's simplicity and ease of use. Once a pre-recorded track is selected, users get a bird's eye view of the song's different parts and individual tracks, separated into bars. Picking an individual bar zooms into a closer view of each track's properties, and zooming in again allows users to modify each individual track. Adding a beat, sound or loop is then simple: click on one of 16 possible positions, each representing a 16th beat of a bar.
Volume can be adjusted for each instrument or for an instrument's individual beats, harnessing the iPhone's touch screen to drag and modify volume settings. You can also pan track audio to the left or right channel and adjusting tempo.
Although users must start with a pre-recorded track, each instrument and its properties can be modified to suit individual tastes, with up to 660 different samples to choose from. iDrum won't automatically make you the best music producer overnight, but the application has an extremely low learning curve thanks to its simple interface. Though the more musically inept may have a hard time grasping the concept of timing and tone variation, the application does make it easier to understand these ideas.
There is little to dislike about iDrum, though there are some limitations. While the ability to make ring tones from tracks is certainly commendable, there is no way to add the ring tones to the iPhone without using a PC or Mac.
iDrum: Ministry of Sound Anthems Edition suffers a slight price hike over its two older counterparts, the Hip Hop and Club editions, probably as a result of licensing agreements with Ministry of Sound. Nevertheless, $7.99 is still a reasonable asking price for the app, and it is certainly well worth the money even if you aren't the next Timbaland.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Acer Swift 7
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Samsung unveils Bixby voice assistant for upcoming Galaxy S8
- Pwn2Own hacking contest ends with two virtual machine escapes
- It's time to turn on HTTPS: the benefits are well worth the effort
- HBO brought its best shows to life at SXSW with an awesome escape room
- Windows Vista has just 30 days to live
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPSenior Project ManagerVIC
- FTFull Stack DeveloperQLD
- FTSolutions Architect - Digital Technologies Financial ServicesQLD
- TPSAP BA - Source to PayQLD
- TPProject Manager - Digital Banking ProjectQLD
- CCDevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTTechnical ConsultantACT
- CCOrganisational Change Manager - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCAutomation Test AnalystQLD
- TPSenior SAP Time and Payroll Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTICT ManagerNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst Team LeadQLD
- TPDevOps ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Expert - Linux / MySql / ScriptQLD
- CCInfrastructure Test Lead - Contract 6-8 wks initially - IT Services - North RydeNSW
- CCInfrastructure Project ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Network Designer - CiscoVIC
- TPGIS Officer | Map InfoQLD
- TPOrganisational Change Manager | Office 365QLD
- FTDeveloper - Java/J2EEQLD
- CCBusiness AnalystNSW
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC