- Slim design, ease-of-use, decent call quality
- Volume could be louder, a little expensive
The SP5050 is a well designed handsfree speaker phone that provides decent, but not outstanding call quality.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
A simple yet functional Bluetooth speaker phone, Jabra's SP5050 features a slim-line design and offers easy operation thanks to minimal controls.
The SP5050 has been designed for in-car use, but it can also be used at home or in the office. An attached sun visor clip conveniently doubles as a small desk stand. The unit itself is sleek and slim and the silver surround adds a nice touch to an otherwise plain device.
Pairing is a simple process; simply turn the SP5050 on by holding down the larger power button on the front and the unit automatically enters pairing mode. Once connected, operation is simple as the unit only has three buttons. Tapping the large answer/end call button answers and ends incoming and outgoing calls, while two volume buttons on either side handle in-call volume.
The SP5050 also supports voice dialling (provided this is a feature of your phone) and last number redialling, accessed by holding and double tapping the answer/end button, respectively. You can also mute the microphone and transfer a call from the speaker phone to your handset or vice versa.
A small display sits at the top of the unit and features different coloured LEDs to inform you of power, Bluetooth connection, call status and battery life. Conveniently, pressing the volume buttons together will turn the lights off for night-time driving, which is an attempt at avoiding potential distractions by the bright lights.
The SP5050 produces solid, but not outstanding call quality. We were impressed with the clarity and crispness of calls on the whole as both incoming and outgoing voice is clearly audible despite the unit being a fair distance from your mouth. We did feel volume could have been louder though; at its highest level it was quite weak, especially when driving in busy areas. For best results, you'll have to close your car windows in order to create the quietest environment possible. Those with convertibles best look elsewhere though, as the SP5050 isn't very kind to wind noise.
Jabra includes an in-car charger in the sales package, but there is no AC charger. Battery life is excellent according to figures of up to 12 hours talk time and 200 hours standby time.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Acer Swift 7
Lexar® Portable SSD
Huawei Mate 9
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Surface Pro 4
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- 2 Samsung 2017 QLED Q7 TV: Full, in-depth review
- 3 HTC U Ultra phone full, in-depth review
- 4 Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5 AMD Ryzen AM4 motherboard review
- 5 Venom Blackbook Zero 14 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- Apple acquires Workflow automation app, offers it free
- Epson launches new high-speed Enterprise inkjet printer
- It wasn't the money: Wozniak on robots, design, and Apple's origins
- LastPass fixes serious password leak vulnerabilities
- The anatomy of a powerful desktop with an ARM chip
PCW Evaluation Team
A smarter way to print for busy small business owners, combining speedy printing with scanning and copying, making it easier to produce high quality documents and images at a touch of a button.
I've had a multifunction printer in the office going on 10 years now. It was a neat bit of kit back in the day -- print, copy, scan, fax -- when printing over WiFi felt a bit like magic. It’s seen better days though and an upgrade’s well overdue. This HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 looks like it ticks all the same boxes: print, copy, scan, and fax. (Really? Does anyone fax anything any more? I guess it's good to know the facility’s there, just in case.) Printing over WiFi is more-or- less standard these days.
As a freelance writer who is always on the go, I like my technology to be both efficient and effective so I can do my job well. The HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 Inkjet Printer ticks all the boxes in terms of form factor, performance and user interface.
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
- First look at the Formula 1 2017 pit lane in Melbourne, Australia
- LG 2017 OLED and Super LED UHD 4K TVs: Hands-on review
- Oppo R9s Plus phone: Full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTSocial Media ExecutiveNSW
- TPBusiness AnalystNSW
- FTJunior Applications SupportQLD
- TPAutomation Test AnalystSA
- TPSenior Project OfficerQLD
- FTGraduate Software EngineerNSW
- FTIncident and Problem ManagerVIC
- CC.Net Developer - SilverlightVIC
- FTDevops EngineerVIC
- FTData Storage Support Consultant (EMC)QLD
- FTJunior DevOps Developer - TelcoVIC
- FTMonitoring Tools Support l NimSoft , SMARTS, ehealth, TivoliNSW
- FTLevel 2 Technical Support OfficerQLD
- TPBusiness Analyst - PeopleSoft HR/Payroll ProjectVIC
- CCBusiness Analyst- Digital & agileNSW
- FTSecurity Solution ArchitectVIC
- FTEnterprise ArchitectQLD
- CCApplication PackagerNSW
- FTSeeking all Java Developers!ACT
- FTNetwork Engineer - Cisco VoiceWA
- CCJava/ Guidewire DeveloperQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- CCIT Senior Business AnalystNSW
- FTInfrastructure Project Manager Office 365 ImplementationVIC