- Slim design, ease-of-use, decent call quality
- Volume could be louder, a little expensive
The SP5050 is a well designed handsfree speaker phone that provides decent, but not outstanding call quality.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
A simple yet functional Bluetooth speaker phone, Jabra's SP5050 features a slim-line design and offers easy operation thanks to minimal controls.
The SP5050 has been designed for in-car use, but it can also be used at home or in the office. An attached sun visor clip conveniently doubles as a small desk stand. The unit itself is sleek and slim and the silver surround adds a nice touch to an otherwise plain device.
Pairing is a simple process; simply turn the SP5050 on by holding down the larger power button on the front and the unit automatically enters pairing mode. Once connected, operation is simple as the unit only has three buttons. Tapping the large answer/end call button answers and ends incoming and outgoing calls, while two volume buttons on either side handle in-call volume.
The SP5050 also supports voice dialling (provided this is a feature of your phone) and last number redialling, accessed by holding and double tapping the answer/end button, respectively. You can also mute the microphone and transfer a call from the speaker phone to your handset or vice versa.
A small display sits at the top of the unit and features different coloured LEDs to inform you of power, Bluetooth connection, call status and battery life. Conveniently, pressing the volume buttons together will turn the lights off for night-time driving, which is an attempt at avoiding potential distractions by the bright lights.
The SP5050 produces solid, but not outstanding call quality. We were impressed with the clarity and crispness of calls on the whole as both incoming and outgoing voice is clearly audible despite the unit being a fair distance from your mouth. We did feel volume could have been louder though; at its highest level it was quite weak, especially when driving in busy areas. For best results, you'll have to close your car windows in order to create the quietest environment possible. Those with convertibles best look elsewhere though, as the SP5050 isn't very kind to wind noise.
Jabra includes an in-car charger in the sales package, but there is no AC charger. Battery life is excellent according to figures of up to 12 hours talk time and 200 hours standby time.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Google Daydream VR headset
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Dell XPS 13 laptop
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Surface Pro 4
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Xiaomi planning second version of its revolutionary Mi Mix ‘bezel-less’ phone
- 5G progress at Ericsson could help enterprises work worldwide
- Apple smartphones outsold Samsung's in Q4
- Apple joins Wireless Power Consortium, charging up iPhone 8 rumor
- Google might be gearing up to remove millions of Play Store apps next month
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCDevops EngineerNSW
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedNSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)NSW
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Manufacturing and Trade & Logistics Modules)QLD
- CCNetwork Engineer (cisco)NSW
- CCBPM Technical AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Security Sales SpecialistVIC
- FTInfrastructure Security Compliance OfficerNSW
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- TPe-Learning Developer (Captivate 8)VIC
- TPBusiness Intelligence Program ManagerVIC
- CCDesktop Engineer l WollongongNSW
- FTERP ConsultantQLD
- CCMidrange ProvisioningNSW
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- CCTest Automation EngineerVIC
- CCCloud Security Solutions Architect - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCProject ManagerSA
- TPSolution Architect - IntegrationQLD
- CCService Designer (CX)NSW
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- CCProject Manager - Security/Cyber SecurityACT
- CCApplication Solution Designer (Automation) - Finance - Contract - Sydney CBDNSW
- TPIT Project CoordinatorVIC
- FTSalesforce Technical Consultant/Architect Global IT Company - SydneyNSW