- Slim design, ease-of-use, decent call quality
- Volume could be louder, a little expensive
The SP5050 is a well designed handsfree speaker phone that provides decent, but not outstanding call quality.
Price$ 149.00 (AUD)
A simple yet functional Bluetooth speaker phone, Jabra's SP5050 features a slim-line design and offers easy operation thanks to minimal controls.
The SP5050 has been designed for in-car use, but it can also be used at home or in the office. An attached sun visor clip conveniently doubles as a small desk stand. The unit itself is sleek and slim and the silver surround adds a nice touch to an otherwise plain device.
Pairing is a simple process; simply turn the SP5050 on by holding down the larger power button on the front and the unit automatically enters pairing mode. Once connected, operation is simple as the unit only has three buttons. Tapping the large answer/end call button answers and ends incoming and outgoing calls, while two volume buttons on either side handle in-call volume.
The SP5050 also supports voice dialling (provided this is a feature of your phone) and last number redialling, accessed by holding and double tapping the answer/end button, respectively. You can also mute the microphone and transfer a call from the speaker phone to your handset or vice versa.
A small display sits at the top of the unit and features different coloured LEDs to inform you of power, Bluetooth connection, call status and battery life. Conveniently, pressing the volume buttons together will turn the lights off for night-time driving, which is an attempt at avoiding potential distractions by the bright lights.
The SP5050 produces solid, but not outstanding call quality. We were impressed with the clarity and crispness of calls on the whole as both incoming and outgoing voice is clearly audible despite the unit being a fair distance from your mouth. We did feel volume could have been louder though; at its highest level it was quite weak, especially when driving in busy areas. For best results, you'll have to close your car windows in order to create the quietest environment possible. Those with convertibles best look elsewhere though, as the SP5050 isn't very kind to wind noise.
Jabra includes an in-car charger in the sales package, but there is no AC charger. Battery life is excellent according to figures of up to 12 hours talk time and 200 hours standby time.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- NSW government taps on Android Pay
- LG announces the V20, a phone squarely targeted at audiophiles
- When will your phone get Android Nougat?
- Report: Nexus home button animation and 'night light' option appear amid a batch of leaks
- Samsung officially announces the Galaxy Note 7 and a refreshed GearVR
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCVMWare SpecialistACT
- CCAsset Transfer Specialist | TelecommunicationVIC
- CCTIBCO Support ConsultantsNSW
- CCSenior Project Manager - Contact CentresNSW
- FTDesign and Engineering - Technical WriterWA
- CCFull stack Java Developer- NoSQL database, Amazon AWS productsNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/Unix/Linux/Web) 160819/AP/173Asia
- CCITIL- Technical Release CoordinatorNSW
- FTContracts ManagerVIC
- CCSenior IT Assistant (Office Automation/PC LAN) 160817/SITA/902Asia
- FTChange ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net DeveloperNSW
- CCContract Senior Systems Analyst (C++/JBoss) 160819/SSA/892Asia
- CCProject Manager - Expense Management SystemVIC
- FTMicrosoft Solution ArchitectACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Data Management/Web) 160818/SA/602Asia
- FTInfrastructure Engineer - Cloud computingAsia
- CCSalesforce CRM ManagerNSW
- FTIT ManagerAsia
- CCCustomer Service RepresentativeQLD
- CCCustomer Service SpecialistVIC
- CCSenior Process Analyst - WealthVIC
- CCDesktop Support (Contract Renewable)Asia
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- FTDefence Network EngineerACT