Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9
A well-priced application for users wanting a more robust feature set than most mid-level image editors, without paying for Photoshop CS.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
Paint Shop Pro 9 is the only serious competitor to Photoshop CS when working with images at the professional level. It presents a user interface and workflow that is clean and efficient, without the gimmicks and wizards that define many entry-level digital imaging applications.
Increasingly affordable digital SLR cameras such as the Canon 20D (reviewed on page 22) or Nikon's D70 have led to an explosion in digital image collections. Paint Shop Pro 9 targets this interest in digital photography with a range of new features to help you get the best out of your collection.
Photography filters for removing noise, chromatic aberrations, and correcting exposure, as well as selective undo, allow you to work more effectively with your photo files. Image meta data is also better managed, with EXIF information supplied in the image browser. Although PSP9 does support RAW file importing, the models included are not nearly as extensive as Adobe Photoshop CS or even Photoshop Elements 3.0. So check the site www.jasc.com for specific models before buying.
New art media tools provide some creative options for users wanting to work with natural media. Working in a similar way to Corel's popular Painter, you can smear and dabble using virtual oil or acrylic brushes without having to get a full-blown paint program.
Recent history shows that strong opposition is needed or the incumbent starts to believe it is invincible; so hopefully Corel's recent purchase of Jasc software means the current release of Paint Shop Pro will not be the last.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Buggy Windows 7 cumulative update? Just tell us, says Microsoft
- Microsoft fleshes out seismic change to Windows patching
- Successful launch for second NBN satellite
- Where's the bottom for Microsoft's Internet Explorer?
- ICANN transition moves forward, despite last-minute attempt to block it
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTProduct ManagerVIC
- FTAccount Security ManagerACT
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Functional Consultant Advanced Warehouse ManagementSA
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (JAVA/J2EE) 161101/AP/162Asia
- CCUnix Project LeadNSW
- CCDigital Marketing StrategistVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 161019/JP/552Asia
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Manufacturing ConsultantSA
- CCProgram CoordinatorNSW
- CCLevel 3 Microsoft Resource EngineerVIC
- FTUI UX Specialist | Technical BAQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (Web Programming) 161013/AP/185Asia
- FTApplication Programmer - Software - HealthVIC
- CCService Desk Analyst - Major Government Client / ParramattaNSW
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (HTML/JAVA/J2EE) 161025/AP/862Asia
- FTRelease CoordinatorACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Oracle/Unix/WebLogic) 161020/SA/693Asia
- FTSenior Architect | Perl | Linux |MySQL | Infrastructure | TelecomNSW
- CCContract Programmer (.Net/SQL) 161027/P/vhaAsia
- CCBPM ConsultantNSW
- TPFrontend DeveloperNSW
- FTXamarin DeveloperQLD
- CCService Desk ConsultantTAS
- CCE-Commerce - Senior Web DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior Network EngineerACT