Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9
A well-priced application for users wanting a more robust feature set than most mid-level image editors, without paying for Photoshop CS.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
Paint Shop Pro 9 is the only serious competitor to Photoshop CS when working with images at the professional level. It presents a user interface and workflow that is clean and efficient, without the gimmicks and wizards that define many entry-level digital imaging applications.
Increasingly affordable digital SLR cameras such as the Canon 20D (reviewed on page 22) or Nikon's D70 have led to an explosion in digital image collections. Paint Shop Pro 9 targets this interest in digital photography with a range of new features to help you get the best out of your collection.
Photography filters for removing noise, chromatic aberrations, and correcting exposure, as well as selective undo, allow you to work more effectively with your photo files. Image meta data is also better managed, with EXIF information supplied in the image browser. Although PSP9 does support RAW file importing, the models included are not nearly as extensive as Adobe Photoshop CS or even Photoshop Elements 3.0. So check the site www.jasc.com for specific models before buying.
New art media tools provide some creative options for users wanting to work with natural media. Working in a similar way to Corel's popular Painter, you can smear and dabble using virtual oil or acrylic brushes without having to get a full-blown paint program.
Recent history shows that strong opposition is needed or the incumbent starts to believe it is invincible; so hopefully Corel's recent purchase of Jasc software means the current release of Paint Shop Pro will not be the last.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 BlackBerry Priv review: When old habits die hard
- 4 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 5 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- Mozilla Firefox update fixes several vulnerabilities
- Like Chromebooks, thumb-size PCs will bloom
- Windows Phone can now work on smartphones with Intel x86 chips
- Dell's OS10 aims to open up networks, then whole datacentres
- iOS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.11.3 are now available
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTDigital Marketing Specialist | Media BuyerNSW
- FTBusiness Analyst (SCADA / CSI)VIC
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-bAsia
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystVIC
- CCService ModellerNSW
- FTProject Manager / Scrum MasterNSW
- CCInformatica ExpertNSW
- FTProject Support OfficerWA
- CCTechnical Tester - AutomationVIC
- CCUX DesignerNSW
- FTNetwork Engineer | NV1 NV2 clearance | Defence projects | Immediate interviewACT
- CCSenior Business Analyst - Life InsuranceVIC
- CCOracle Test LeadNSW
- CCSenior Business Analyst, Enterprise Software SolutionNSW
- CCProducts and Markets Business AnalystNSW
- FTLinux AdministratorVIC
- CCContract System Analyst (SQL/.net) 160205/SA/561Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst - Scrum/Pega SystemsNSW
- CCSenior Test AnalystSA
- CCBusiness AnalystQLD
- FT.NET DeveloperVIC
- CCProject Manager IT infrastructureACT
- CCSolution Architect - .NET TechnologiesNSW
- CCSenior Visual DesignerNSW
- FTSenior Project AnalystVIC