Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9
A well-priced application for users wanting a more robust feature set than most mid-level image editors, without paying for Photoshop CS.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
Paint Shop Pro 9 is the only serious competitor to Photoshop CS when working with images at the professional level. It presents a user interface and workflow that is clean and efficient, without the gimmicks and wizards that define many entry-level digital imaging applications.
Increasingly affordable digital SLR cameras such as the Canon 20D (reviewed on page 22) or Nikon's D70 have led to an explosion in digital image collections. Paint Shop Pro 9 targets this interest in digital photography with a range of new features to help you get the best out of your collection.
Photography filters for removing noise, chromatic aberrations, and correcting exposure, as well as selective undo, allow you to work more effectively with your photo files. Image meta data is also better managed, with EXIF information supplied in the image browser. Although PSP9 does support RAW file importing, the models included are not nearly as extensive as Adobe Photoshop CS or even Photoshop Elements 3.0. So check the site www.jasc.com for specific models before buying.
New art media tools provide some creative options for users wanting to work with natural media. Working in a similar way to Corel's popular Painter, you can smear and dabble using virtual oil or acrylic brushes without having to get a full-blown paint program.
Recent history shows that strong opposition is needed or the incumbent starts to believe it is invincible; so hopefully Corel's recent purchase of Jasc software means the current release of Paint Shop Pro will not be the last.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 3 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 4 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 5 MSI GS70 laptop review
Latest News Articles
- 2016 will be 1 second longer: Google can help you cope
- How to restore missing desktop icons on Windows
- Microsoft declares summer's Windows 10 upgrade fit for business
- Stop pouting: Google’s Santa Tracker is updated just in time for the Christmas countdown
- You can finally watch Netflix offline now
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCProgram Business Change Director - HR PayrollNSW
- CCTest ManagerNSW
- FTProject Manager - Process Transformation / AutomationNSW
- FTSecurity AdministratorVIC
- CCiOS Developer - 6 Month ContractNSW
- FTProject Manager (Network Roll-Out)WA
- CCWindows Systems Engineer - AD, VMware, RedHat experienceNSW
- CCBusiness Analyst - Reporting, Excel and AutoCAD experienceNSW
- CCSecurity Architect Finance Contract Sydney CBDNSW
- CCSEM / PPC / Paid Search Specialist - 6 Month Contract RoleNSW
- CCLead Enterprise Solution Architect - CloudNSW
- CCSecurity Consultant (Perth CBD based)SA
- CCIteration Manager / Scrum MasterQLD
- CCService Desk/Helpdesk ConsultantNSW
- CCService Desk/Helpdesk ConsultantNSW
- CCNetwork Solution Designer/Architect - Finance - Contract - SydneyNSW
- CCAgile Iteration ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Business Analyst - Telco - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTSolution Architect with end user (EUC) computing experienceNSW
- CCSenior Integration DeveloperVIC
- CCTechnical Business AnalystNSW
- FTSecurity EngineerVIC
- CCSenior Organisational Change ManagerNSW
- FTMiddleware Specialist / Systems AdministrationNSW