Jasc Paint Shop Pro 9
A well-priced application for users wanting a more robust feature set than most mid-level image editors, without paying for Photoshop CS.
Price$ 269.00 (AUD)
Paint Shop Pro 9 is the only serious competitor to Photoshop CS when working with images at the professional level. It presents a user interface and workflow that is clean and efficient, without the gimmicks and wizards that define many entry-level digital imaging applications.
Increasingly affordable digital SLR cameras such as the Canon 20D (reviewed on page 22) or Nikon's D70 have led to an explosion in digital image collections. Paint Shop Pro 9 targets this interest in digital photography with a range of new features to help you get the best out of your collection.
Photography filters for removing noise, chromatic aberrations, and correcting exposure, as well as selective undo, allow you to work more effectively with your photo files. Image meta data is also better managed, with EXIF information supplied in the image browser. Although PSP9 does support RAW file importing, the models included are not nearly as extensive as Adobe Photoshop CS or even Photoshop Elements 3.0. So check the site www.jasc.com for specific models before buying.
New art media tools provide some creative options for users wanting to work with natural media. Working in a similar way to Corel's popular Painter, you can smear and dabble using virtual oil or acrylic brushes without having to get a full-blown paint program.
Recent history shows that strong opposition is needed or the incumbent starts to believe it is invincible; so hopefully Corel's recent purchase of Jasc software means the current release of Paint Shop Pro will not be the last.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Snapchat just got way easier to use thanks to a new search bar
- Microsoft is retiring the Blue Screen of Death for some users
- Rowland says govt supressing unflattering NBN information
- Google's Trusted Contacts pings your loved ones when you need them most
- Chrome 55 pushes Flash into the background
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- CCVirtualization ArchitectACT
- FTFront End DeveloperVIC
- FTJunior-Mid Level Implementation CoordinatorQLD
- CCProject ManagerNSW
- CCProject/ Operational CoordinatorNSW
- CCData Modeller and Business Analyst - Integration ProjectQLD
- CCTest LeadVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- FTSecurity Solutions Architect - Consultancy - Permanent - Sydney CBDNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- FTTechnical Account ManagerVIC
- CCOrganisational Change ManagerACT
- FTIT Procurement AdvisorQLD
- FTSoftware Support SpecialistQLD
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- FTTechnical Content CoordinatorVIC
- FTPERMANENT Business AnalystsACT
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- CCInfrastructure Technical Team LeadQLD
- CCProject Coordinator - TelcoVIC
- CCSenior PMO Analyst - ReportingNSW
- FTFront End DeveloperNSW
- TPSenior Business AnalystQLD
- CCSenior Network ArchitectVIC