Jawbone Up24 wireless activity tracker (preview)
Jawbone's new Up24 wristband adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth
- Wireless sync over Bluetooth Smart
- Claimed seven day battery life
- Works with iOS and Android
- No Australian release or pricing
- Updated Android app is coming soon
- No significant new features besides sync
Jawbone's Up fitness wristband hasn't been on the market for long in Australia but the company has recently announced an updated version that adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth, the Up24.
Jawbone's Up fitness wristband hasn't been on the market for long in Australia, but the company has recently announced an updated version that adds wireless sync capability over Bluetooth.
The Up24 wristband features a new pattern on the front and is slightly wider than the first iteration of the Up, but is otherwise very similar. The only real new feature is wireless synchronisation over Bluetooth smart, a strong criticism of the first iteration of the product.
The integration of automatic wireless sync eliminates the need to plug the Up24 into your smartphone to sync data, though it does decrease battery life. Jawbone says the Up24 will last up to seven days before requiring a recharge, whereas the original model promised up to 10 days of battery life.
The Up24 doesn't really introduce anything new to the overall experience. The product still consists of two parts — the wristband itself that tracks movement, sleeping patterns and includes a vibrating alarm function, and an iOS or Android app presents movement, sleep and food data, and allows interaction with other Up users.
The latest 3.0 version of the Up app introduces some new features specifically for the Up24. Live notifications let you know when you're about to meet your fitness goals, while users can set a vibrating "Smart Alarm" using the app, instead of having to plug the device into your phone.
There's also a new sleep recovery tool that allows users to estimate sleep, even if the band isn't put into sleep mode, along with streaks and milestones that recognise short and long term progress.
The iOS version of the 3.0 Up app is available now, though Jawbone says the Android version is "coming soon". However, the company hasn't announced a date or time frame for its release.
The Up24 wristband is available now in the US for US$149.99, but there's no word on when it will be available in Australia, or how much it will cost when it does arrive Down Under.
The original Jawbone Up will continue to be sold alongside the Up24 and currently retails in Australia for $149.99.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 Motorola Moto G (2nd Gen.) android smartphone
- 5 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Android ransomware 'Koler' turns into a worm, spreads via SMS
- Bite into your music with jaw-controlled iPhone player
- Apple CEO Tim Cook meets with Chinese official after iCloud attack
- New European Commission, approved by Parliament, will focus on the digital domain
- Camels, sleds and trikes: Seven odd Street View vehicles
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW