- Good looks, great sound, reasonable price
- Slightly flat mid-range sound at lower volumes
An excellent choice for anyone wanting speakers that marry performance with power
Price$ 2,499.00 (AUD)
Batten down the hatches, the JBL L890s are in town. This mean pair of speakers certainly packs a punch, so be prepared for some complaints from the neighbours if you push the L890s to their limits. The L890 is at the top end of JBL's new Studio L range and the idea behind this range was to bring studio performance to the everyday consumer. They certainly left an impression on us, and everyone else within 100m.
Firstly, the L890's design sets it apart from the crowd. Many people are content to use their home entertainment system or a cheap micro HiFi for playing music, but the differences are immediately obvious when using speakers such as these. The L890 is a four-way speaker, meaning that sound is split up into low, mid, high and ultra-high frequency sound. For the most part this doesn't have a great impact on the quality of the sound, but the addition of a special high-frequency driver means that music is reproduced with exceptional clarity and sharpness. There is also no need for a separate subwoofer as is found with home theatre systems. Dual 100mm woofers in each speaker provide more than enough bass, easily outperforming most dedicated subwoofers. The combination of multiple drivers produces sound with great warmth and a good overall balance with no part of the aural spectrum dominating the rest. Though this is predominantly true, one slight discrepancy would be that the mid range occasionally feels a little flat, especially at lower volume levels. This is really a minor complaint though as the quality of the sound more than compensates for this slight issue.
Aesthetically JBL has done a decent job too. The L890s certainly look the part as well as sounding it, you'd certainly hope so given their price tag. This also important considering their large, bulky frame, as you aren't going to be able to hide these away in the corner. Attractively finished in either black, beech or cherry, the speakers should sit pleasantly in any room, providing it is large enough to accommodate them. On the up side, pretty much no space will be too big for these speakers as their sound is truly room-filling. In fact, to get the most out of them, you will definitely need a good amplifier. With a rating of 250W the L890s can be pushed to incredibly loud volumes with no discernable drop in quality. This is the bit that's going to annoy the neighbours.
As the L890s are verging on audiophile territory, JBL has included the option of bi-wiring the speakers. This basically means that instead of using a single pair of wires to connect the speakers to an amplifier, you can use two. The idea is that low and high frequency sound can be separated, leading to less interference and hence a crisper sound. Whether or not this actually makes any noticeable difference is questionable, especially given the range of special drivers already built in to the L890.
Overall, we feel the JBL L890s are an excellent purchase. Their sublime performance coupled with enough power to raze the building to the ground left us suitably impressed. With attractive aesthetics and a reasonable price to boot, there's no reason not to buy them.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
- The guts of Onkyo's SBT-A500 sound bar come in an external box to give the speaker an ultra-low profile
- Plex embraces Kodi as Plex Media Player becomes available to all
- 'Google Cast' is being phased out in favor of Chromecast for connected TVs and speakers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- Best phone of the year 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- FTProject Manager (Software product development)VIC
- CCIT Risk Specialist (Assurance) - TelcoVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXSA
- TPService Delivery ManagerQLD
- CCICT Strategy ConsultantNSW
- CCChange Manager l Port Macquarie NSWQLD
- FTLevel 2 Service DeskNSW
- FTApplications Sales ExecutiveWA
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXNSW
- FTSenior AEM Consultant - Public SectorACT
- CCSenior Agile Business AnalystNSW
- CCIT Support AnalystVIC
- TPICT - Contracts and Commercial AnalystQLD
- CCTester- InfrastructureACT
- CCSenior Murex DeveloperVIC
- TPSenior Project Manager - Digital Application CX TransformationNSW
- FTFull stack Developer - Senior (Java or C# and AngularJS) x 3QLD
- TPSenior|Principal SAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- CCJava Developer/ Guidewire Developers - Brisbane basedNSW
- FTLevel 3 EngineerNSW
- CCProcess Business Analyst X 3VIC
- CCProject CoordinatorVIC
- FTTest Analyst - HealthcareVIC