JBL On Time
- Great design, balanced sound, charges your iPod, can be powered by batteries
- No remote, no bass or treble adjustment
The On Time combines good sound quality with an excellent design and ease of use, but lacks a few features that we have come to expect at this price.
Price$ 399.00 (AUD)
If you are looking for an alarm clock and iPod speaker package that really stands out from the crowd, then the JBL On Time may be for you. Outstanding design and good sound quality make this an attractive package, although we would have liked a remote in the package as well as bass and treble adjustments.
Aptly labelled a "time machine for your iPod", the JBL On Time certainly looks like it may well have been sent back to us from the future. Available in black or white, the On Time comes in a unique dome design, with the iPod and clock sitting on the base, encircled above by the speaker. In the package, JBL has included a number of dock brackets allowing any version of iPod, except for the shuffle, to fit snugly into the base. The unit also houses an auxiliary input jack for other music players, as well as a subwoofer jack.
JBL has produced a simple menu display coupled with large back-lit buttons, making the dock very easy to use. The two alarm clocks can be set to trigger daily, on weekdays, or only on weekends, with the ability to select either the iPod or radio to wake up to. No longer will you have the problem of trying to find the snooze button on an alarm clock with your eyes closed either, as JBL has integrated a huge button into the top of the metal speaker grille.
On initial start-up the On Time allows manual or automatic clock setting, with the automatic mode finding a radio station that transmits the time and setting it accordingly. The feature worked well, finding the time in around 20 seconds.
The radio contains five presets in AM and FM mode and switching between the radio and iPod is simple, thanks to the central menu. Our only frustration was that the iPod began at the very first track in our library each time we switched between the two, not simply beginning where it last left off, as the iPod would normally do.
While aesthetically pleasing, the dome design means that directional qualities of the speaker are compromised to an extent. Although the system sounds good when you're a little further away, we found the downfall came when you are sitting directly in front of the player, which may be the case if using this as a bed side alarm clock.
The sound, however, was clear and crisp, and well above the standard of many portable speaker systems on the market. The vocal reproduction was excellent, with good separation of instruments in the middle and upper ranges. If we had to pick a weakness it would be the slight lack of low mid to bass response, but on a speaker of this size that is to be expected.
The unit can run off batteries if required, but does not include a remote control, which we felt should be included in a package at this price. Another feature we would like to have seen is bass and treble adjustment settings.
The On Time is an alarm and iPod speaker system with a unique design and great sound quality. If you want a device that stands out from the crowd, and don't require the convenience of a remote control, this is for you.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Microsoft L5V-00027 Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard Desktop
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Google Daydream VR headset
Acer Swift 7
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
Surface Pro 4
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 5 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
Latest News Articles
- Apple's Q1: Record $US18.4 billion profit, but iPhone sales are slowing
- Sony shows latest high-end Walkman
- Sydney Airport lost property auction: you'll be amazed at what some people left behind
- The iPod classic plays its last
- Apple iPod Touch pricing slashed by up to 25 per cent in Australia
GGG Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCInfrastructure EngineerACT
- TPInformation Management SpecialistVIC
- CCMDM Consultant/DesignerVIC
- TPDeployment Specialist (DevOps)QLD
- CCData Centre Design Engineer - Data Centre - TelcoVIC
- FTTechnical Consultant MS Dynamics AXWA
- CCProject Manager - Adelaide basedVIC
- CCSenior Project Coordinator - Banking/Financial ServicesNSW
- TPProject Coordinator/Junior Project ManagerVIC
- FTTechnical Support RepresentativeNSW
- FTData AnalystQLD
- TPService Desk ManagerVIC
- FTSenior Full Stack .Net Developer - Internet of ThingsNSW
- TPOracle Consultant - CC&BSA
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Technical ArchitectVIC
- FTDynamics AX Functional Consultant (Supply Chain Modules)NSW
- CCInfrastructure Test AnalystACT
- FTDatabase Modelling SpecialistACT
- CCLevel 2 Helpdesk Support (CISCO)QLD
- FTSAP BOBJ ConsultantACT
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- FT.Net DeveloperVIC
- CCSystem EngineerSA
- CCSenior Technical Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTJunior / Entry Level IT role - Recent IT TAFE GraduateNSW