JBL On Tour Mobile
- Sleek design, cover doubles as stand, rubber strips on base, auto-off, adequate sound at lower volumes, 2.5mm and 2.5mm cables included
- Average sound quality, distortion at higher volume levels
The On Tour Mobile may be worth a look if you are after a portable, lightweight speaker for travelling, but don't expect the world in terms of sound quality.
Price$ 169.00 (AUD)
Buy now (Selling at 6 stores)
The JBL On Tour Mobile is a compact and lightweight portable speaker system. Featuring a standard 3.5mm stereo mini jack, a sliding, protective cover, which doubles as a stand, and the ability to run either off either AC power or standard AAA batteries, the On Tour Mobile has good features, but is unfortunately let down by average sound quality.
The best aspect of this device is its design. Finished in an all-black glossy plastic with chrome ends, the On Tour Mobile has a sliding cover that protects the speakers, and which doubles as a stand when it's open. It also has rubber strips on its base, so it sits firmly on most surfaces. Sliding the cover open reveals two, 3W drivers and two small volume buttons. Pressing both buttons at the same time mutes the sound.
The unit's sound quality is average. Not surprisingly, the On Tour Mobile lacks bass and, as this can't be adjusted on the unit itself, you'll have to use the preset equaliser settings on your input device. While the unit does handle music adequately at lower listening levels, when the volume is turned up over the halfway point, distortion becomes evident and dramatically deteriorates the sound quality. As the bass distorts, the sound becomes overly muddled, but at lower levels the sound is clear and crisp. As such, the speakers are adequate, provided you are listening to them in close proximity.
The On Tour Mobile has a stereo mini-jack connection, so it can be used with a number of audio devices including, iPods, MP3 players, notebook computers and PCs. Conveniently, JBL also includes both a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, as well as an adapter for most Motorola phones. Also in the sales package is an AC adapter, a standard 3.5mm audio cable, a drawstring carry case and four AAA batteries.
Conveniently, the On Tour Mobile has an auto-off feature; the unit goes into sleep mode when the cover is closed or when there is no audio input. It resumes as soon as the cover is opened again, or when the volume button is pressed. The unit also remembers what the volume level was set to before it was turned off, and resumes playback at that same level.
The unit's battery life is rated at approximately 24 hours of continuous playback by JBL and an orange LED between the volume buttons flashes when the battery power is low.
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Bose SoundLink on-ear Bluetooth headphones
- 2 Apple iPhone 6 Plus: An in depth review
- 3 Medion Akoya P2214T (MD99430) hybrid laptop
- 4 HTC One Mini 2 android smartphone
- 5 Oppo Find 7 Android smartphone
Best Deals on GoodGearGuide
Latest News Articles
- Google Nexus 9 pre-sales start at $479
- Acer launches four Chrome devices under $400
- China again blames US for disrupted cybersecurity talks
- The cheapest way to buy an iPad from Apple
- Is your Ethernet fast enough? Four new speeds are in the works
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- FTTechnical Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTPartner Marketing Communications Manager - Leading Global Tech BrandNSW
- CCConsumer Product Marketing ManagerNSW
- FTDigital Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTMarketing Communications Operations Manager - Global Tech Market leaderNSW
- FTBusiness Development Manager | Sales ManagerNSW
- FTSales Account ExecutiveNSW
- FTBusiness development manager - retargettingNSW
- FTBusiness ManagerNSW
- FTAccount ExecutiveNSW