Prince Phonetics HD for iPad
Phonics is a widely used method of teaching children to read, pronouncing letters and letter groups as they sound rather than the traditional "A", "B", "C", etc.
- Great app for children
- Slightly overpriced
Prince Phonetics HD is a clean and simple phonics reading app for children that’s easy to use and well made. It's so simple that the price -– mid-range for such an app –- is a little steep for its one-trick approach to the subject. But it works and at least parents will have a handy reminder of the sounds being taught in class.
Price$ 3.99 (AUD)
There are plenty of Reading iPhone and iPad apps for children but most stick to pronouncing B as “bee” rather than the phonic “ber”.
For children to really get the most out of an early years phonic education it’s best that they stick to that pronunciation only at the beginning.
(Of course they’ll probably be able to sing the alphabet by rote but for learning to read letters and how they’ll sound phonics has a lot going for it.)
Prince Phonetics HD is a very simple phonics iPad app that teaches the letter shapes and phonic sounds.
The clear English voice-over is by five-year-old Molly, aged 5. Thankfully it’s ‘Zed’ – I mean ‘zzz’ – rather than the American ‘Zee’.
It’s called Prince because it’s in blue, and generalists will be pleased that there’s also a Princess Phonetics HD app in – you guessed it – pink.
It’s great that the app shows both uppercase (capital) and lowercase letters, as children can get confused why there’s two different shapes and showing them together should help understanding.
You touch the individual letters to hear the letter sounds. It’s that easy.
It’s a shame you can’t use more of the iPad functionality – for instance, swiping to the next letter. The only options this app offers is to change the background to different types of blue.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Samsung Galaxy Note 7 review
- 2 Portable power: Venom Blackbook 13 Zero review
- 3 Alcatel Idol 4S review: King of the mid-range?
- 4 Witness a 241% Australian price hike: Dell Latitude 7370 review
- 5 Is this the best value phone on the market? Moto G4 Plus review
Latest News Articles
- ACCC to scrutinise impact of NBN, 5G on telco competition
- Telstra increases NBN market share
- What Microsoft is taking away from Windows 10 in the Anniversary Update
- Microsoft Word gains powerful Editor, Researcher tools to help you write more good
- Aussie regulator calls for greater broadband speed transparency
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
- CCImplementation and Deployment ManagerNSW
- CCSenior Security Specialist - McAfeeVIC
- CCProject Manager - Operational TechnologyQLD
- CCContract Analyst Programmer (.NET/SQL Server) 160829/AP/267Asia
- CCSystem Analyst - NetIQNSW
- CCSr IT Support specialist - MCSE- L2/L3- Travelling requiredNSW
- FTNational ICT Senior Technical Support EngineerACT
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Infrastructure/JAVA) 160901/SA/486Asia
- CCSenior Business Analyst/Designer, Funds ManagementNSW
- FTUnix Systems AdministratorNSW
- CCTechnology Specialist Networks & SecurityVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Loutus Notes) 160815/SA/102Asia
- FTJava DeveloperNSW
- CCInfrastructure Designer - AWSNSW
- CCBackfill Support Engineer (Renewable 12-month Contract)Asia
- CCBusiness Analyst / SalesforceNSW
- CCContract Systems Analyst (Datacentre Maintenance) 160817/SA/993Asia
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/HTML/PHP) 160819/P/733Asia
- FTBusiness Development ManagerVIC
- CCComms project specialistVIC
- CCContract Systems Analyst (.Net/SQL Server) 160829/SA/244Asia
- CCWebmaster content managementACT
- FTWeb Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCJava / J2ee ProgrammersACT
- CCNetwork Technology SpecialistVIC