- High zoom, good LCD, logical interface
- Poor ergonomics, no memory card slot or USB port
The GR-D250AA is a solid, no-frills camera at a reasonable price.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
The single-CCD (charge-coupled device) GR-D250AA is an entry-level MiniDV camcorder with some interesting new features. It's extremely compact, but the key selling point has to be the impressive 25X optical zoom lens.
There's no memory card slot or USB, so still capture is limited to video grabs to tape, and the ergonomics are a little under par--the chassis digs into the heel of your thumb over time, the zoom control can rock the camera, and the internal viewfinder doesn't tilt. That said, the 2.5" LCD is clear, the interface is logical and the playback/menu controls are easily accessible.
JVC's new Data Battery also allows for a more accurate "time remaining" readout that can be viewed while the camera is switched off--similar to Sony's InfoLithium technology.
The bottom-loading tape drive may irritate tripod users and there's no accessory shoe, but external microphones are supported. Manual controls include button-driven focus, exposure/gain control, white balance and selectable shutter speeds, but there's no progressive scan and widescreen recording is letterboxed or squeezed.
Despite claiming 520-line video resolution, the GR-D250AA's pictures don't look all that sharp, but low-light performance benefits from a noise reduction circuit, and the colour handling is pleasantly neutral, avoiding the over-saturated, over-sharpened feel of many consumer camcorders.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Gadgets & Things
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Finally! LG OLED TV 2016 range review
- 2 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 3 Apple iPhone 7 Plus review: including Portrait Mode
- 4 Google Daydream View VR full, in-depth review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- AT&T will acquire Time Warner for US$85.4b in content play
- Facebook adds Apple TV and Chromecast support as video push ramps up
- Remocam review: This security camera can control your home appliances
- Logitech's C922 webcam is the revered C920's vastly upgraded successor
- FBI faces lawsuit because it's stayed mum on iPhone 5c hack
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- The top 10 best and worst tech gadgets and products of 2016
- TV of the year award 2016
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTBrand Marketing Manager - Premium Entertainment BrandNSW
- TPProject Manager - SAPQLD
- CCDigital Business Analyst - Apps DevelopmentNSW
- CCSenior Developer - Appian/PegaVIC
- FTSalesforce Technical Business AnalystQLD
- TPSenior|Principal SAP HR Functional ConsultantQLD
- FTCheckpoint Firewall and VPNNSW
- FTWeb Front- End DeveloperSA
- CCMultiple Infrastructure ArchitectsWA
- CCSolution Lead/ArchitectVIC
- CCSenior Technical Specialist - AIXVIC
- FTManager Integration PlanningNSW
- FTLinux Systems EngineerQLD
- CCTest AnalystQLD
- TPProject Manager - Data ManagementSA
- CCICT Contracts ManagerSA
- FTPHP DeveloperQLD
- CCMid-level Java Developer / Programmer (Contract) Finance CBDNSW
- CCJunior BI / Data Analytics Analyst - contract - SydneyNSW
- FTERP Support ConsultantQLD
- CCSenior Business Analyst - ITMSP - Melbourne CBDVIC
- FTMicrosoft Dynamics AX Finance ConsultantACT
- FTLife/400 Testers - Permanent - North Ryde areaNSW
- CCSolution Delivery Manager / Project ManagerNSW
- FTSenior System AdministratorVIC