- Great sound quality, Host of equalisation options
- Limited connectivity
A very commendable micro Hi-Fi system from Kenwood that combines great sound and design with a myriad of sound equalisation options.
Price$ 699.00 (AUD)
Towards the higher end of micro Hi-Fi systems in terms of price, Kenwood's K-701 is a simple product that comes with just a CD player and radio with a pair of two-way speakers. The speakers complement the styling of the CD player to give an overall attractive aesthetic. Also included is a very functional and well laid out remote control.
Setting up this package is an easy task, as would be expected with a micro system. Just connect the speakers to the player with the supplied wiring, and power it up. An auto calibration microphone is included to normalize speaker levels if they are not placed in equidistant positions in the room.
Music playback was better than expected for a system of this size. The middle and upper registers were clear, and with the addition of the D-bass setting, bass was surprisingly good. Everything from opera to rock to dance and pop music sounded great - if we had to pick a fault it would be the lack of very deep frequency response. Again, this is only if we were really pushed to find a weakness, as this system really does produce great sound - especially considering it only has two way speakers.
Music could be pushed to a fairly high volume and there was little distortion present at this range. Sound felt very flat with no equalising, but with the adjustment of a couple of settings a warm and encompassing sound was easily attained.
There is a host of equalisation settings available, including a seven band equaliser, bass and treble isolation adjustments as well as a D-bass setting. With all these of these combined you would be hard pressed not to find a configuration you were content with. On top of this there are three presets to save your favourite settings. Getting lost in this world of equalising is not a problem as it can all be switched off with the press of a button.
There are few connectivity options with the K-701 unfortunately, but for a micro Hi-Fi system this is not too great a concern. There are four RCA ports - three inputs for devices such as a tape deck or record player, and one output. There is also a subwoofer pre output, which is a handy inclusion if you ever wanted to add an extra dimension to the system, as well as AM and FM antenna ports.
The K-701 will certainly appeal to people who are willing to spend a little more for a micro Hi-Fi system in return for great sound quality and a sleek design.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Everki ContemPRO Roll Top Laptop Backpack
Epson EcoTank Expression ET-2500
Lexar® JumpDrive® S57 USB 3.0 flash drive
UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker
Linksys AC5400 MU-MIMO Gigabit router
Samsung portable 1TB T3 drive
Smart LED Bulb LB130
Epson WorkForce ET-4550
Epson WorkForce DS-360W
Logitech G403 Prodigy mouse
Acer Swift 7
Google Daydream VR headset
3SIXT Ultra HD Sports Action Camera
Huawei Mate 9
Lexar® JumpDrive® S45 USB 3.0 flash drive
Belkin MIXIT Metallic Lightning to USB Cable
Lexar® Portable SSD
Lexar® JumpDrive® C20c USB Type-C flash drive
Surface Pro 4
Blade 28 backpack by Arc’teryx
Lexar® Professional 1800x microSDHC™/microSDXC™ UHS-II cards
HP Pavilion x360 13”
Dell Inspiron 5000 series 2-in-1
Audio-Technica ATH-ANC70 Noise Cancelling Headphones
Garmin Fenix Chronos smartwatch
HD Pan/Tilt Wi-Fi Camera with Night Vision NC450
Dell XPS 13 laptop
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- 2 ZTE Axon 7 review: Is ZTE dumping old stock on Australia?
- 3 Oppo R9s smartphone full review
- 4 Huawei Nova Plus smartphone review
- 5 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
Latest News Articles
- Up next for Apple TV: 4K streaming reportedly in the works
- Apple’s original TV shows are almost ready for prime time
- Apple snags Amazon Fire TV exec to lead Apple TV efforts
- AirTV's slick marriage of Sling TV and OTA channels isn't in the product yet
- Here's what's coming next from Sling TV
PCW Evaluation Team
I’d happily recommend this touchscreen laptop and Windows 10 as a great way to get serious work done at a desk or on the road.
Ultimately, I think the Windows 10 environment is excellent for me as it caters for so many different uses. The inclusion of the Xbox app is also great for when you need some downtime too!
For me, the Xbox Play Anywhere is a great new feature as it allows you to play your current Xbox games with higher resolutions and better graphics without forking out extra cash for another copy. Although available titles are still scarce, but I’m sure it will grow in time.
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
- How to quit Pokemon Go (or to start enjoying it again)
- Huawei Mate 9 full in-depth smartphone review
- Time to ditch Foxtel and the iQ3: How to replace Foxtel packages with cheaper alternatives
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- FTFinancial ERP Customer SME / Solution Consultant / System AccountantNSW
- TPSolution Architect - Real-Time Tracking SystemVIC
- FTHR Payroll ConsultantQLD
- FTLife/400 Resource - PermanentNSW
- CCTechnical Support AnalystACT
- CCSolution DesignerVIC
- TPAnalyst Workplace SupportVIC
- FTSolutions Software DeveloperVIC
- CCCommercial Contract AdministratorNSW
- CCSenior Automation TesterQLD
- CCSenior Networks Specialist - DNS PlatformVIC
- CCBusiness Test Lead - BRT/UATNSW
- CCProject SpecialistVIC
- TPProduct Owner - Cloud SolutionsQLD
- CCSOE EngineerACT
- TPBusiness Analyst AO7QLD
- CCNetwork Specialist - IPAM TelcoVIC
- TPHRIS Business AnalystQLD
- TP.Net DeveloperSA
- FTWeb Developer/ReportsNSW
- TPEnvironment Specialist(DevOps)QLD
- FTPMO Coordinator-Permanent Opportunity-Education/Government Background EssentialNSW
- TPSenior Java Developer / DevOps - ContractQLD
- CCDevops Consultant - 12 month contractVIC
- FTSenior Software Engineer x 2 - Adelaide Based (PV, NV2 or NV1 required)ACT