Kingston Data Traveller Elite (2GB)
- Unrivalled security features
There are certainly cheaper solutions on the market, but this is the first we’ve seen to keep your data this secure in a manner that’s almost entirely invisible to the end user and doesn’t adversely affect the convenience of the medium. It’s a perfect solution for both security-conscious corporations and consumers — assuming they’re Windows-only.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Best Deals (Selling at 1 store)
Because USB thumb drives are easily mislaid or stolen, they're a real security issue. It's possible to use software that encrypts your portable data by creating a password-protected partition, but this needs to be installed on any PC that needs to read your data. Kingston's new Data Traveller Elite - Privacy Edition gets around this problem by carrying everything it needs on-board.
Not only does it have an ARM7 co-processor that provides on-the-fly AES-128 (128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption of all the data that's written to the disk without noticeably affecting read/write performance, this USB 2.0 thumb drive also contains the necessary drivers and password management software. When you plug it into a new PC for the first time, a virtual CD containing the drivers and security layer is installed, and then the password prompt appears. It takes a little longer than installing a regular thumb drive, but is well worth the wait.
Owner details are shown on the log-in page - so it can be returned by an honest finder - and you only get 25 password attempts before the drive is wiped, which protects your data from "brute force" attacks. It's also worth noting that our best attempts to recover wiped files after this procedure proved fruitless, which is a good thing.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Sony Xperia Z5 Premium review: Is the world ready for a 4K phone?
- 2 D-Link Taipan AC3200 Ultra tri-band modem-router review
- 3 Dell XPS 13 (2016) review: Making the very best Ultrabook
- 4 Microsoft Surface Book review: The verdict on Microsoft's first notebook
- 5 Telstra Wi-Fi 4GX Advanced III review: Testing the world's first 600Mbps wireless hotspot
Best Deals on PC World
Latest News Articles
- AMD gets into SSDs with value Radeon R3 drives. But US only for now.
- How to recover data from a corrupt hard drive or SSD with no backup on Mac: How to delete corrupted files on external Mac drive
- Akitio's combines two speedy technologies in blazing external SSD
- Intel claims storage supremacy with swift 3D XPoint Optane drives, 1-petabyte 3D NAND
- Nvidia's DGX-1 supercomputer packs the horsepower of 250 servers
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- CCOpen Source Specialist / Senior ConsultantQLD
- FTPerformance Test AnalystNSW
- CCSnr Technical System Engineer (IBM/Oracle/SQL) 160524/STSE/vmtAsia
- CCICT Fleet and Equipment Audit ResourcesSA
- CCSr. Net DeveloperVIC
- CCProject Specialist Continuity AutomationVIC
- CCSystems Engineer - Wintel, VMWare and CitrixNSW
- CCLMS Administrator and e- Learning Development Project OfficerSA
- CCTechnical Service LeadNSW
- CCInfrastructure and Cloud Project ManagerVIC
- CCRevalidations OfficerACT
- FTGraduate IT Support OfficerNSW
- CCSoftware Licensing AnalystVIC
- CCDelivery Manager - Integration SpaceVIC
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTSenior Business AnalystVIC
- CCProject Manager - Business IntelligenceVIC
- FTSenior .NET DeveloperWA
- CCPHP / Magento E-Commerce DeveloperNSW
- CCSenior DevOps EngineerACT
- CCProject Manager PMP RMP certified - NV1ACT
- CCIT Systems AnalystACT
- CCProject ManagerACT
- CCMessaging Engineer - BAU SupportNSW
- FTNV2 Defence Project Manager | Major exciting White Paper projectsACT