Kingston Data Traveller Elite (2GB)
- Unrivalled security features
There are certainly cheaper solutions on the market, but this is the first we’ve seen to keep your data this secure in a manner that’s almost entirely invisible to the end user and doesn’t adversely affect the convenience of the medium. It’s a perfect solution for both security-conscious corporations and consumers — assuming they’re Windows-only.
Price$ 549.00 (AUD)
Because USB thumb drives are easily mislaid or stolen, they're a real security issue. It's possible to use software that encrypts your portable data by creating a password-protected partition, but this needs to be installed on any PC that needs to read your data. Kingston's new Data Traveller Elite - Privacy Edition gets around this problem by carrying everything it needs on-board.
Not only does it have an ARM7 co-processor that provides on-the-fly AES-128 (128-bit Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption of all the data that's written to the disk without noticeably affecting read/write performance, this USB 2.0 thumb drive also contains the necessary drivers and password management software. When you plug it into a new PC for the first time, a virtual CD containing the drivers and security layer is installed, and then the password prompt appears. It takes a little longer than installing a regular thumb drive, but is well worth the wait.
Owner details are shown on the log-in page - so it can be returned by an honest finder - and you only get 25 password attempts before the drive is wiped, which protects your data from "brute force" attacks. It's also worth noting that our best attempts to recover wiped files after this procedure proved fruitless, which is a good thing.
Join the PC World newsletter!
Most Popular Reviews
- 1 Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: Phones just got smarter
- 2 Sony Xperia XZ review: turbo-charged last-gen phone
- 3 Hisense Series 7 ULED 4K UHD TV review
- 4 Sony X9300D and X8500D UHD 4K TV review
- 5 Moto X Force review: Leading features from a mid-range phone
Latest News Articles
- Google, IBM, and others team up to hasten data transfers in computers
- Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive
- Review: ADATA’s waterproof SSD is small, rugged -- and pricey
- Samsung releases the world’s fastest gumstick SSD
- More than 840,000 Cisco devices are vulnerable to NSA-related exploit
GGG Evaluation Team
First impression on unpacking the Q702 test unit was the solid feel and clean, minimalist styling.
For work use, Microsoft Word and Excel programs pre-installed on the device are adequate for preparing short documents.
The Fujitsu LifeBook UH574 allowed for great mobility without being obnoxiously heavy or clunky. Its twelve hours of battery life did not disappoint.
The screen was particularly good. It is bright and visible from most angles, however heat is an issue, particularly around the Windows button on the front, and on the back where the battery housing is located.
My first impression after unboxing the Q702 is that it is a nice looking unit. Styling is somewhat minimalist but very effective. The tablet part, once detached, has a nice weight, and no buttons or switches are located in awkward or intrusive positions.
- Google Pixel XL full, in-depth smartphone review: The new best Android phone
- Japan Robot, gadget and car expo slideshow
- Panasonic DX900U UHD 4K smart TV review: Best all-round TV ever?
- What's the difference between an Intel Core i3, i5 and i7?
- Laser vs. inkjet printers: which is better?
- CCContract Junior Programmer (J2EE/SQL) 161019/JP/552Asia
- CCContract Junior Programmer (JAVA/SQL) 161013/JP/602Asia
- CCContract Management SpecialistNSW
- CCSystem TestersQLD
- CCWeb Analytics AnalystNSW
- CCBusiness AnalystACT
- CCContract Programmer (JAVA/J2EE/SQL) 161018/P/911Asia
- CCFront End DeveloperNSW
- CCApplications Support Technical OfficerACT
- CCAgile Business AnalystVIC
- CCSenior Full Stack Java DeveloperNSW
- CCeCommerce Project ManagerNSW
- CCProject AnalystVIC
- CCInfrastructure ArchitectNSW
- FTNetwork and Security Engineer - Checkpoint, Firewalls, VPNNSW
- CCDemand ManagerNSW
- FTSenior Commercial and Bid ManagerVIC
- CCContract Junior Programmer (PC LAN Support) 161028/JP/203Asia
- FTSenior Application SupportSA
- CCSenior Business AnalystVIC
- FTDigital Optimisation and Analytics SpecialistNSW
- CCIT Data AnalystACT
- CCSenior Web DeveloperNSW